WTF are we waiting for ? Call up Viciedo !

macsandz

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 11:15 AM)
I really don't understand how Viciedo isn't a top 15-20 prospect in all of baseball.

i'm sure it has something to do with the glove aspect of his game.

also, josh fields was hitting over .360 with a .400+ OBP in the rockies system before taking a job in japan yesterday

just sayin'

edit: also, are there any recent scouting summaries of Viciedo as of this year? I'd love to read what people think about him NOW versus when we first signed him, maybe that would give us an idea of how his talent in the minors will project to the bigleagues

Edited by Real

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 11:22 AM)
Josh Fields is 28 years old.

that he is. i can post his stats when he was younger if you want. he was a minor league stud, not so much in the big leagues. not sure how much 'age' really matters with the point i'm making, maybe you're missing it?

QUOTE (Real @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 10:27 AM)
that he is. i can post his stats when he was younger if you want. he was a minor league stud, not so much in the big leagues. not sure how much 'age' really matters with the point i'm making, maybe you're missing it?

He was also a Chicago White Sox player, and after a spectacular 2007, he couldn't hit a fastball.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 03:34 PM)
I am starting to believe that the only way that Viciedo gets up is if KW can move CQ. If JP is taken out of the lineup Ozzie is going to play De Aza or Lilli in LF to get his speedy leadoff guy at the top of the line-up. Dunn is not getting benched in favor of anyone. Viciedo could swap places with Morel but it sounds like the organization is committed to him being an OF.

I think KW has a couple of deals up his sleeve, I think he will move one of the SP's (Danks) rather than relegating one to the bullpen and will move Quentin to open a spot for Viciedo and in making one of those moves will include Pierre and bring back another LF candidate.

They are not trading CQ. Why trade a guy with that upside. Anyone goes its Pierre or Rios

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 04:34 PM)
KW's goal is to have an outfield of Viciedo, Rios and Quentin next year. Another one of his goals is to have Rios leadoff next season.

I think that makes sense. But, Rios had better start hustling

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 10:57 AM)
The situation is mind-boggling to say the least.

It really isn't. Teams play the service time game all the time. I find more fault with the Sox calling up Viciedo last year where he accrued 83 days of service time while primarily sitting on the bench.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 04:34 PM)
KW's goal is to have an outfield of Viciedo, Rios and Quentin next year. Another one of his goals is to have Rios leadoff next season.

Sadly the Rios on paper is quite different from the Rios you get in the field and at the plate.

If that's KW's goal, I don't like his goal.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 02:33 PM)
I sure don't remember it as "spectacular".

It was "encouraging" or I'll even say it was "pretty good for a rookie" but I remember facepalming because people got carried away and started talking about him like he was a white Frank Thomas. Dude still hit .244 and his OPS never got all the way to .800.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 11:12 PM)
It was "encouraging" or I'll even say it was "pretty good for a rookie" but I remember facepalming because people got carried away and started talking about him like he was a white Frank Thomas. Dude still hit .244 and his OPS never got all the way to .800.

You guys are right, but heck Josh Fields in 07 was the only reason I was watching to be honest :/

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 01:16 AM)
You guys are right, but heck Josh Fields in 07 was the only reason I was watching to be honest :/

If he had stuck in the majors and Beckham wasn't such a headcase that would've almost made '07 worthwhile. Now I can only remember Jerry Owens, Darin Erstad, and Andy Gonzalez.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 01:59 PM)
They are not trading CQ. Why trade a guy with that upside. Anyone goes its Pierre or Rios

Because to make a trade you have to give up something that other people would want. CQ is pretty up and down, has been good this year but last year at this time every other thread was about getting rid of him. You need to trade guys when they are at peak value in order to get a good ROI. The Phillies, Giants, and Braves are all looking for an OF bat and have some pieces that would make sense either short or long term. Pierre's not really a need for anyone and Rios' contract is unmovable. The only way Viciedo is getting a called up is if KW clears a spot for him or trades him to someone that has a spot open for him.

But you just can't trade Quentin when he's been trending cold when you know 1) he will get hot again, 2) his bat can carry the team better than anyone when he's streaking, even Konerko and 3) Viciedo's still a BIT unproven, at least in the OF.

I can imagine what would happen if Quentin went on to put up MVP numbers with an NL team while Viciedo struggled and the prospect we got back in return for Quentin turned out to be a bust.

The only way I would consider it would be for a major league ready starter in AA/AAA...and very very few teams will part with that kind of talent.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 4, 2011 -> 01:34 AM)
Ok this got to the 2nd page so I had to bump it. 2 runs in 2 games at Wrigley. 3 gwrbi by one of our worst hitters. Dunn sucking more and more every day. Games against division opponents coming up. Too many cold hitters and it's possible PK is hurting. Call up Viciedo now now NOW !!

The scary thing is we need Viciedo and DeAza to beat KC and Minnie.

We DO NOT win divisional games. The Royals can score runs. Minnie owns us. We need these 2 players in place of Rios and Dunn to even beat KC and Minnie this week.

You think we can beat Minnie more than once in four games w/out Dayan this week? Get real. They are built to beat us. The automatic outs of Dunn/Rios are killers IMO

Edited by greg775

I know you're not supposed to do this with young players, but Ozzie is so f***ing stubborn and can't realize a swap of Pierre for Viciedo makes the team BETTER, but Viciedo can play Right. We know this. He also can play third (but not well...) And from last year and ST this year he can play 1st. Add to that the DH spot.

That's FOUR different places where Viciedo can fit into the line-up. Ozzie could find a way to play him everyday like that, if he wanted to.

It just becomes a matter of who you sacrifice on the bench to get Dayan up here.

But again, this teams mix is so great right now, can't mess with success(?)

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 3, 2011 -> 10:32 PM)
The scary thing is we need Viciedo and DeAza to beat KC and Minnie.

We DO NOT win divisional games. The Royals can score runs. Minnie owns us. We need these 2 players in place of Rios and Dunn to even beat KC and Minnie this week.

You think we can beat Minnie more than once in four games w/out Dayan this week? Get real. They are built to beat us. The automatic outs of Dunn/Rios are killers IMO

My question is if and when Dayan gets up to the sox who will have more hrs by the end of the season him or Dunn?

Edited by beckham15

Through 1/2 a season, the offense has sucked. Unfortunately, it's hard to picture much changing. Dunn is going to continue getting the DH at-bats. Pierre has played well in his last 10 days so that probably gives him another 2 weeks to play himself out of anything, and, even if he hits .150 in the next 2 weeks, it still seems unlikely that Guillen would pull the plug.

They can try to get more offense out of 3B by giving Morel an occasional day off, but that already happens with Teahan.

I don't see anything significant happening barring an injury. They have been patience in sticking with a bad offense, and they are now going to hold firm that some of these guys (Rios, Dunn, Pierre, Beckham and even Quentin who is hot and cold) are going to contribute at a higher rate in the 2nd half of the season.

bump.

Just now from Twitter:

Charlotte Knights

@KnightsBaseball Charlotte Knights

He does it again. 3-run HR for Dayan Viciedo. A monster shot to right center. He has 16 HR and 62 RBI this season.