WTF are we waiting for ? Call up Viciedo !

macsandz

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 04:28 PM)
Let me rephrase..."That is all we needed. Anything beyond that would be a bonus."

Coming into the season, I'd have said that if we had an .850+ OPS from Dunn, and .825+ OPS from Beckham, and hell, a .775 OPS from Rios, along with decent numbers from Quentin, I wouldn't care if Morel was hitting .220, he wouldn't be deciding games with that bat.

If you'd told me that Dunn and Rios would have OPS's below .550 or wherever they are now, then yeah, I'd say Morel's O would be hurting us...but only because no one else is hitting the ball either.

Whoa. I think you're letting Morel off the hook. Yeah, the more proven/talented players you mentioned have sucked ass. But I'm not letting Morel off the hook. You shouldn't, either. A .553 OPS is unacceptable no matter the circumstances.

Edited by Jordan4life

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 04:38 PM)
Yeah that's a middle of the pack NL pitcher at the plate.

Thing is, 3B production is down considerably all around baseball. There's only about 4 or 5 really good ones. A few alright ones. The rest is trash. But Morel is not even trash. He's below trash. Whatever that is.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 10:34 PM)
Whoa. I think you're letting Morel off the hook. Yeah, the more proven/talented players you mentioned have sucked ass. But I'm not letting Morel off the hook. You shouldn't, either. A .553 OPS is unacceptable no matter the circumstances.

Yeah, I understand what Balta's saying about how we needed Morel just to provide some good defense while the 8 other hitters provide the offensive punch. However, there's really no excusing just how unproductive Morel has been at the plate. I thought it was interesting hearing the Tigers announcer on Saturday basically laughing at how bad his numbers are this season.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 05:54 PM)
Yeah, I understand what Balta's saying about how we needed Morel just to provide some good defense while the 8 other hitters provide the offensive punch. However, there's really no excusing just how unproductive Morel has been at the plate. I thought it was interesting hearing the Tigers announcer on Saturday basically laughing at how bad his numbers are this season.

He's actually hitting just over .270 since early May.

I'm surprised that his power numbers haven't improved...but yet, isn't that exactly what you'd do if you got benched every time you got a hit?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 10:55 PM)
He's actually hitting just over .270 since early May.

I'm surprised that his power numbers haven't improved...but yet, isn't that exactly what you'd do if you got benched every time you got a hit?

It's not like he's changed anything at the plate. I think he was hitting the ball harder in April, but he's just gotten a few more bloop singles/bunt singles/infield hits the last few months.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 04:56 PM)
It's not like he's changed anything at the plate. I think he was hitting the ball harder in April, but he's just gotten a few more bloop singles/bunt singles/infield hits the last few months.

He sucks. I'm not a pro scout or anything. But I've seen enough to know, IMO, this guy is not a regular at this level.

I think it's time everyone re-read the title of this thread....

WTF are we waiting for ? Call up Viciedo!

I find it maddening that this hasn't been addressed by our bone-headed management. Just look at our dreadful offense on a daily basis and convince me that he's not needed.

WTF

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 05:55 PM)
I noted this in the game thread, but Morel has 4 hits to left field at home all season. I'll flat out say that I don't think he's going to be a starting 3rd baseman in the majors. I just don't see the strength and offensive instincts to last.

Holy cow. His defense is so great though, but that is a red flag.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 02:48 PM)
I think Teahen is being put out there to raise any value he may have in a trade. The Brewers are looking for a 3B and Teahen is good enough to play in the National League everyday. If Marcum is out long term I could see Teahen going with Jackson.

I would love to see Teahen gone but I see no sense in trading away a pitcher. The 6 man rotation is working, why f*** with it.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 03:37 AM)
It would be just like the Sox to call the kid up when he's cold, he goes 0 for his first 10 or so and Ozzie benches him saying that "there's too much pressure on this keeed."

Yeah I agree.

He'll be called up in September when we are 9 out. Whoopie.

If we don't trade him by then.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 03:37 AM)
It would be just like the Sox to call the kid up when he's cold, he goes 0 for his first 10 or so and Ozzie benches him saying that "there's too much pressure on this keeed."

Ozzie did a wonderful job of making sure not to overexpose Lillibridge when he was hitting at an incredible rate. Sure glad we capitalized on his hot streak. :lolhitting

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 11:01 PM)
Stat guys...have there been more than a few third baseman to get as many at bats as Morel in the last 5-10 years and have a lower OPS?

How about Chone Figgins (.473) and Brandon Inge (.483) this season?

225+ PA, and an OPS less than .545? 6 times since 1990. The 2 I mentions above, Pedro Feliz (.533) last season, Craig Paquette (.528) in 2002, Andy LaRoche (.508) in 2008, and the ridiculously bad Brandon Wood (.382) last season.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 04:48 PM)
I think Teahen is being put out there to raise any value he may have in a trade. The Brewers are looking for a 3B and Teahen is good enough to play in the National League everyday. If Marcum is out long term I could see Teahen going with Jackson.

They have Kotsay and Andy Gonzalez is on their AAA team...there's your return. Counsell too, you get back Counsell.

QUOTE (OilCan @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 09:27 PM)
Viciedo is starting to cool off in July, hitting .227.

At least he gunned down a runner at home tonight.

With the Sox luck, this guy will go into a slump when called up or he'll be "Walkerized".