Jake Peavy willing to go to the bullpen

Bighurt52235

I am glad Peavy is offering to be the big man, and try to help the team out. As a matter of a fact I think it is awesome that three of the six starters (Humber, Peavy, and Jackson) have all said they would be fine in going to the pen. It tells me a lot about this team. This group really seems to be more about the name on the front of the jersey instead of the name on the back of the jersey. Especially a guy in Peavy's situation tells me a lot about his character. The guy has been a Cy Young. He could have easily thrown a fit and said there is no way he would move. Hell all of them could have pulled the "I'm a starter" thing in one form or another, and none of them has. And honestly the credit for that attitude on this team probably goes to Ozzie. The guys on this team love him.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 05:53 AM)
At this point, regardless of what Peavy does, there is a group of posters who are going to dump on him for his contract and injuries. They've got a point, he is always hurt, so no matter what he says, it's bad because he's always hurt.

I'll never understand fans hating a player over either contract size or injuries. It's not like Peavy gives a poor effort, or is a bad teammate, or doesn't want to help the team win. It's unfortunate he's often injured, but I don't see that as a reason to trash him for checking his ego and offering to do whatever might help the team win.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 05:01 AM)
I don't disagree with you often but wholeheartedly disagree here. We have no "ace" without the REAL JFP on the mound this year. My guess your thinking is we'd be better off knowing he won't be here so we can just focus on business at hand rather than consistently talk about when he's going to be back from the DL time and time again?

Exactly!

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 12:24 PM)
I just hope this isn't an admission from Jake that he himself isn't sure he can stay healthy as a starter...

Yep, this is what was kinda hinted at yesterday. You said it perfectly here.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 09:54 AM)
Which is ridiculous if he came to this conclusion after a groin strain.

It's not like he was pitching like s***. Other than that meltdown inning against Detroit, he had been pretty solid. So he can't be offering this up due to poor performance. Nothing else to to believe other than him coming to the conclusion that he probably can't physically do it as a starter anymore. So we officially have a Kerry Wood clone on our hands. A $17 million dollar one. The SP prognosis for this team going forward (specifically after this season) is frightening.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 10:01 AM)
It's not like he was pitching like s***. Other than that meltdown inning against Detroit, he had been pretty solid. So he can't be offering this up due to poor performance. Nothing else to to believe other than him coming to the conclusion that he probably can't physically do it as a starter anymore. So we officially have a Kerry Wood clone on our hands. A $17 million dollar one. The SP prognosis for this team going forward (specifically after this season) is frightening.

I think he probably is just as frustrated as anyone. He probably feels like he is letting down the Club and the fans.

I know most athletes wouldn't care, but I think some of them feel like real douchebags if they're making a ton of money and not backing it up on the field. It's just not good for anyone when that happens.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 08:20 AM)
QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 12:24 PM) *

I just hope this isn't an admission from Jake that he himself isn't sure he can stay healthy as a starter...

Yep, this is what was kinda hinted at yesterday. You said it perfectly here.

I am probably the biggest conspiracy theorist on this board but even for me this seems to be a reach...but again maybe my optimism is clouding my view...

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 10:09 AM)
I am probably the biggest conspiracy theorist on this board but even for me this seems to be a reach...but again maybe my optimism is clouding my view...

How is it a reach? Why would a career starter just out of the blue offer to go to the 'pen if he didn't have at least some doubt about his future as a starter?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 10:01 AM)

I don't think the's giving up on being a starter for the rest of his career. I think he just sees now that his body isn't 100% recovered from all the rehab, along with the realization that the 6th starter conundrum is due to his injury problems, and he just realizes that maybe he should be the one in the bullpen right now.

There is no doubt in my mind that 2012 spring training will feature Jake Peavy as a starter.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 10:15 AM)
I don't think the's giving up on being a starter for the rest of his career. I think he just sees now that his body isn't 100% recovered from all the rehab, along with the realization that the 6th starter conundrum is due to his injury problems, and he just realizes that maybe he should be the one in the bullpen right now.

There is no doubt in my mind that 2012 spring training will feature Jake Peavy as a starter.

So basically another lost season from him. And why is 2012 supposed to be any different? He's going to all of a sudden get and stay healthy? Once is a fluke. Hell, twice could be just bad luck. But three, four, five times? And let's not forget that our rotation could look drastically different next season. Looks like we might have to overpay for Buehrle if we want to keep him. Jackson is as good as gone. Danks could be gone depending on where we're at come July 31st. We've already lost a full season of Chris Sale developing as a starter. So he probably won't be an option until 2013 at the earliest. And there's nothing else even close to big league ready in the minors. It's Floyd and Humber (the latter has all of a sudden become a necessity instead of a bonus) as our locks going into next season. Yikes.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 10:15 AM)
How is it a reach? Why would a career starter just out of the blue offer to go to the 'pen if he didn't have at least some doubt about his future as a starter?

Edwin Jackson did it. Is he a quitter too? So did Phil Humber.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 03:22 PM)
Edwin Jackson did it. Is he a quitter too? So did Phil Humber.

Was I the only one who heard Ozzie's radio comments about this yesterday during the pregame show? No doubt in my mind there was more to Peavy's statement rather than just wanting to help out the team.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 10:19 AM)
jesus you guys are reading into this like its the f***ing Zapruder film.

He realizes he put the team/org in a tough spot and is willing to do whatever he needs to help. Is that really unfathomable?

And what happens when he gets hurt as a reliever? Do we make him the most expensive roogy in history?

This is thing that drives me crazy about Soxtalk. One day Peavy is an asshole for pushing himself too hard. The very next week when he offers to do something to try to help the team, and put himself in a situation to save himself a little more, he gets taken apart.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 10:27 AM)
This is thing that drives me crazy about Soxtalk. One day Peavy is an asshole for pushing himself too hard. The very next week when he offers to do something to try to help the team, and put himself in a situation to save himself a little more, he gets taken apart.

^ This.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 04:27 PM)

Who's taking him apart? I have no problem with him saying this (even though it's funny to see how people get so excited to hear him say "grinder-ish" things), it's just that it's probably not in his or the team's best interest to have him be a reliever UNLESS there is reason for him to question his ability to remain a starter.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 10:28 AM)
^ This.

Agreed, but I see no problem in someone stating that he shouldnt be put in the bullpen because he helps the team more in the rotation.

It's one thing to bash Peavy for saying it, it's another for someone to disagree with that tactic of him going to the bullpen.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 11:27 AM)

+eleventy