Jake Peavy willing to go to the bullpen

Bighurt52235

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 03:37 PM)
No, we mean when he offers to go to the bullpen.

AKA this thread.

Where people went ballistic.

Peavy offering to go to the bullpen is great, but all it does is remind the planet how much of a disappointment it is that a man with his salary has to go to the bullpen.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 03:37 PM)
There's a tie-link between about 3 of those injuries though. First, the ankle running to first. While rehab starting, ball off the elbow. Mechanics screwed up...shoulder pops. Spends offseason rehabbing, takes some time doing so, had to work through scar tissue, etc.

You take out that one ankle injury and it might well be that no one is thinking he's injury prone.

This sounds like the same things we heard for Prior.

Let's face it, I think it's pretty safe to have misgivings about how clean Peavy is.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 04:41 PM)
Let's face it, I think it's pretty safe to have misgivings about how clean Peavy is.

This is one case where I can't offer a defense. It's long been my position that you can't trust anyone in MLB other than Frank Thomas, so I'm not going to try here. That at least fits a pattern.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 03:43 PM)
This is one case where I can't offer a defense. It's long been my position that you can't trust anyone in MLB other than Frank Thomas, so I'm not going to try here. That at least fits a pattern.

As competitive as the guy as, let's just say I wouldn't be surprised by a positive test, or by finding out he had a supplier.

I did not like the trade from day one. There are those of you currently saying '' ya right... how could someone not have liked the peavy acquisition''. I liked the idea of adding a great pitcher... but not with all the risks involved. Don't believe me, take a gander at the past if needed.

I have never been one that thinks it's wise to pay a player 15 million plus for several years, going from the national league to the american league, on top of going from one of the worst hitting parks... to one of the very best? Acquiring peavy was a good deal of money for a team that more often than not cries poor... plus they picked up rios to boot? Nothing surprises me anymore after they desperately picked up manny ramirez... just to sit him... to keep him rested?!? Yuck.

How about the funky mechanics of his? He puts a ton of stress on himself, very violent delivery, easily one of the worst in the game. Only a matter of time until his blows that arm of his into 374,981 pieces. His career will end much sooner, rather than much later, i'm very confident in that. I said the same thing about jenks... two... two and a half years ago... and i stand by it. Remember him last year? Like him this year? I don't give him much past his contract with the red sox.

I don't doubt that peavy still has the ability to pitch well, when he does pitch, but come on, 75-125 innings a year is clearly not gonna warrant his contract. I feel safe in saying peavy will be lucky to ever reach 175 innings. I can't wait until his albatross ass is sent out of town.

Edwin jackson for daniel hudson was another joke... which i absolutely hated. No one likely remembers, but i'm pretty certain j4l hates the trade as much as he does because of what i posted the day the trade happened. Hated it then. Hate it more now. Likely will hate it even more once the season ends. This is clearly a very played out topic, but i have practically not said a word about it since day one. The time has come... and now gone.

Best of wishes to jake peavy pitching 100 innings this year!

I'm just gonna go ahead and nominate that last sentence as joke of the year.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 03:39 PM)
I dislike that logic :lolhitting

Then again, that's my biggest gripe with baseball. You get a lot of Adrian Beltre's, Carl Pavano's, and AJ Burnett's having a career year when it's time to grab a contract and then disappear with guaranteed money.

Oh, and I also believe that KW deserves to be fired for many things (including acquiring Peavy), in response to your earlier statement.

Thank you, sir.

If there weren't guaranteed contracts, there would be sickeningly large signing bonuses. In both, there is mutual agreement by both parties that the future is uncertain.

Just out of curiosity, what did you think of this deal when it was made? I was fairly uneasy with it, but happy it happened.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 03:52 PM)
I did not like the trade from day one. There are those of you currently saying '' ya right... how could someone not have liked the peavy acquisition''. I liked the idea of adding a great pitcher... but not with all the risks involved. Don't believe me, take a gander at the past if needed.

I have never been one that thinks it's wise to pay a player 15 million plus for several years, going from the national league to the american league, on top of going from one of the worst hitting parks... to one of the very best? Acquiring peavy was a good deal of money for a team that more often than not cries poor... plus they picked up rios to boot? Nothing surprises me anymore after they desperately picked up manny ramirez... just to sit him... to keep him rested?!? Yuck.

How about the funky mechanics of his? He puts a ton of stress on himself, very violent delivery, easily one of the worst in the game. Only a matter of time until his blows that arm of his into 374,981 pieces. His career will end much sooner, rather than much later, i'm very confident in that. I said the same thing about jenks... two... two and a half years ago... and i stand by it. Remember him last year? Like him this year? I don't give him much past his contract with the red sox.

I don't doubt that peavy still has the ability to pitch well, when he does pitch, but come on, 75-125 innings a year is clearly not gonna warrant his contract. I feel safe in saying peavy will be lucky to ever reach 175 innings. I can't wait until his albatross ass is sent out of town.

Edwin jackson for daniel hudson was another joke... which i absolutely hated. No one likely remembers, but i'm pretty certain j4l hates the trade as much as he does because of what i posted the day the trade happened. Hated it then. Hate it more now. Likely will hate it even more once the season ends. This is clearly a very played out topic, but i have practically not said a word about it since day one. The time has come... and now gone.

Best of wishes to jake peavy pitching 100 innings this year!

I'm just gonna go ahead and nominate that last sentence as joke of the year.

Haha, I saw you lurking and have been waiting for your post.

QUOTE (MAX @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 03:52 PM)
If there weren't guaranteed contracts, there would be sickeningly large signing bonuses. In both, there is mutual agreement by both parties that the future is uncertain.

Just out of curiosity, what did you think of this deal when it was made? I was fairly uneasy with it, but happy it happened.

I'm pretty sure I had the same reaction.

EDIT: I just went back and looked. I basically said that if he's healthy, it's great.

Edited by Milkman delivers

This board has become increasingly reactionary and negative. A guy says that he'll pitch in the pen if that's where he's needed and we get 10 pages of folks saying he's finished, he knows he's finished, he should retire, he can no longer pitch when healthy, he's a detriment to the team, and his attitude should be ridiculed.

When did this become twinstalk.com?

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 12:24 AM)
This board has become increasingly reactionary and negative.

It's getting to the point where I don't really enjoy coming to Soxtalk anymore because I know all I'll see is people b*tching.

Hopefully a nice turn around and a big winning streak will finally change the mood.

:gosox3:

boy being away from the board for a day I dunno even know where to begin with all that's been said.

I will just leave behind Peavy's game stat line after his rehab start.

6 IP, 2 hits, 0 BB, 9 Ks. 78 pitches 58 of them for strikes, looks like he will be in pitching for the Sox vs the Cubs

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 17, 2011 -> 10:48 AM)
I'm happy Peavy's feeling good, and his numbers were encouraging. Let me be the first to predict today that if Jackson does bad tonight, he will get removed from the rotation and Peavy will start in his place on Wednesday.

Wasn't the plan for him to start twice down there to make sure he was fine?

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 09:23 PM)
Well, I didn't figure it would go down like this.

You beat me to the post. I wonder what this does to the rotation for a bit unless we have an off day soon and it gets back into the 5 person rotation

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 06:29 PM)
You beat me to the post. I wonder what this does to the rotation for a bit unless we have an off day soon and it gets back into the 5 person rotation

I think we have an offday Monday but well still give Jake full rest after today

Jake Peavy, Gavin Floyd and Mark Buerhle, et al just showed us what TEAM means. For those guys and at the top Jake to step up was a great thing. Maybe this will start us on the march to the top of the AL Central

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 11:19 AM)
And my guess is the only reason Edwin didnt offer was that he started the night before and it was completely out of the question.

I am pretty sure in situations such as this, the guy who pitched 2 days(3 days in the Sox 6 man rotation) prior is the first one out, because it is supposed to be their scheduled throwing day. That is why Humber was warming up the day before when the bullpen ran out of arms, and why peavy came out yesterday

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 12:27 PM)
I am pretty sure in situations such as this, the guy who pitched 2 days(3 days in the Sox 6 man rotation) prior is the first one out, because it is supposed to be their scheduled throwing day. That is why Humber was warming up the day before when the bullpen ran out of arms, and why peavy came out yesterday

Doesn't work for Humber though, he last pitched last Sunday, so Friday night he was on 4 days rest (aka...normal rest).