Jake Peavy willing to go to the bullpen

Bighurt52235

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 08:16 PM)
When he is healthy is a lot different than he is an ace.

No one has any idea what type of pitcher he'd be now even if he was healthy. Too many things have changed from 3-4 years ago. I don't think he's ever going to rediscover a consistent 94-95 mph fastball as well as a devastating slider.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 03:12 PM)
Retire then. Return the money he's stealing.

Oh Jake, you're so cute with the way you try. You're like our own little Rudy. You know what, just keep the money. Take some more actually. Oh my, you're so cute trying so hard and being such a great teammate. I wish we had more guys like you, because we'd have a team full of winners and then there'd be no way we could ever lose again. It's just that can-do attitude that brings us all together and helps us play at nearly a .500 winning percentage. Golly, this guy is amazing.

I don't think he can do that. He isn't a quitter. He isn't stealing anything either. When a team takes on a contract, risk of injury is part of the negotiated price. The sox sought out Jake Peavy and his contract. They wanted to take this risk.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 03:17 PM)
Stop living in the moment and realize that this second doesn't last forever.

I'm not living in the moment. This "moment" goes back three seasons. Jake Peavy has not been healthy during those three seasons and he has contributed almost nothing to either team he's been on in those seasons. Jon Garland has been a consistently average pitcher basically since he entered the league. And going forward, I'm guessing that will continue due to Peavy's injury history.

Perhaps you need to realize that Peavy's moment is behind him.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 04:15 PM)
What possible option is there? What do you want me to tell you? So because I can't heal Peavy myself, I have no right to complain that he's injured?

Suggesting he return the money and retire as a viable option is absurd and you know it.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 03:19 PM)
I'm not living in the moment. This "moment" goes back three seasons. Jake Peavy has not been healthy during those three seasons and he has contributed almost nothing to either team he's been on in those seasons. Jon Garland has been a consistently average pitcher basically since he entered the league. And going forward, I'm guessing that will continue due to Peavy's injury history.

Perhaps you need to realize that Peavy's moment is behind him.

It isn't just Peavy. If a player is in a slump he needs to be DFA'd. If a team is in a slump everyone needs to get fired.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 03:20 PM)
Suggesting he return the money and retire as a viable option is absurd and you know it.

I know he won't do it, but didn't a guy from the Cardinals just do that fairly recently.

Either way, that's the best scenario for the Sox. Either a miracle could happen and Peavy will suddenly become/stay healthy, he'll retire and relieve us of the burden of his contract, or he'll continue to woo everyone with his heart :wub: and dragging this soap opera out until his contract mercifully ends.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 03:23 PM)
It isn't just Peavy. If a player is in a slump he needs to be DFA'd. If a team is in a slump everyone needs to get fired.

OK, but instead of muddying up the current subject to help your argument, let's remember that this has been the case since 2009. This isn't just a "moment" thing.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 03:24 PM)
I know he won't do it, but didn't a guy from the Cardinals just do that fairly recently.

Either way, that's the best scenario for the Sox. Either a miracle could happen and Peavy will suddenly become/stay healthy, he'll retire and relieve us of the burden of his contract, or he'll continue to woo everyone with his heart :wub: and dragging this soap opera out until his contract mercifully ends.

Jake Peavy's contract is such that he is paid to pitch for the white sox when he is healthy enough to do so. You are looking at if he is paid to pitch, and if he isn't doing it, he is stealing money. That's not correct - not reality. If you are upset about his contract and the money he makes while being injured, you should be more upset with KW.

Furthermore, why are you so upset about it? Its not your money. We don't even know if its the white sox money or some insurance company's money.

QUOTE (MAX @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 09:26 PM)
Furthermore, why are you so upset about it? Its not your money. We don't even know if its the white sox money or some insurance company's money.

Cause it's 17 million dollars that could have been spent elsewhere to improve the team? Same reason a lot of people were upset about the pointless Jackson for Hudson trade.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 03:25 PM)
OK, but instead of muddying up the current subject to help your argument, let's remember that this has been the case since 2009. This isn't just a "moment" thing.

That's just it. Players do emerge and change. Peavy's history with this stuff is relatively recent, and it isn't like he is repeating the same injury over and over again. Everyone is freaking out now about a small groin injury like he is going to see James Andrews. Guys get pulls and strains especially when they haven't be playing a lot.

QUOTE (MAX @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 03:26 PM)
Jake Peavy's contract is such that he is paid to pitch for the white sox when he is healthy enough to do so. You are looking at if he is paid to pitch, and if he isn't doing it, he is stealing money. That's not correct - not reality. If you are upset about his contract and the money he makes while being injured, you should be more upset with KW.

Fathom covered the last part for me. And obviously I don't think he's physically stealing money out of the coffers of the White Sox. It's a figure of speech. He's making a lot of money that he's doing almost nothing to earn.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 03:29 PM)
Fathom covered the last part for me. And obviously I don't think he's physically stealing money out of the coffers of the White Sox. It's a figure of speech. He's making a lot of money that he's doing almost nothing to earn.

And yet when he tries to do something to help the team, people go ballistic.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 03:29 PM)

Well that's where you are wrong. He earned the money for that contract before ever throwing a pitch for the white sox.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 03:25 PM)

Actually started in '08. He's been on the DL at least once every year since then.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 03:28 PM)
Cause it's 17 million dollars that could have been spent elsewhere to improve the team? Same reason a lot of people were upset about the pointless Jackson for Hudson trade.

That's fair, if you want to assume they would have spent the money elsewhere, which they may not have.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 03:29 PM)
That's just it. Players do emerge and change. Peavy's history with this stuff is relatively recent, and it isn't like he is repeating the same injury over and over again. Everyone is freaking out now about a small groin injury like he is going to see James Andrews. Guys get pulls and strains especially when they haven't be playing a lot.

The guy has had what, 4 or 5 injuries now in the past three seasons? It's time to look at this objectively. He's injury prone.

Perhaps there's an underlying reason. Maybe he was a steroid guy, who knows? He suddenly started getting hurt in various ways. If this were Mark Prior, we'd all be thinking the same thing. And if he's such a "competitor" as everyone loves to preach, he'd be able to find a much greater competitive edge with PEDs.

And hasn't he also lost velocity over the years?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 03:34 PM)
The guy has had what, 4 or 5 injuries now in the past three seasons? It's time to look at this objectively. He's injury prone.

Perhaps there's an underlying reason. Maybe he was a steroid guy, who knows? He suddenly started getting hurt in various ways. If this were Mark Prior, we'd all be thinking the same thing. And if he's such a "competitor" as everyone loves to preach, he'd be able to find a much greater competitive edge with PEDs.

Yes

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 04:34 PM)

There's a tie-link between about 3 of those injuries though. First, the ankle running to first. While rehab starting, ball off the elbow. Mechanics screwed up...shoulder pops. Spends offseason rehabbing, takes some time doing so, had to work through scar tissue, etc.

You take out that one ankle injury and it might well be that no one is thinking he's injury prone.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 04:35 PM)
I assume you mean when he supposedly tried to pitch through the groin injury. I never said a word about that. I'm just tired of the injuries.

No, we mean when he offers to go to the bullpen.

AKA this thread.

Where people went ballistic.

QUOTE (MAX @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 03:32 PM)
Well that's where you are wrong. He earned the money for that contract before ever throwing a pitch for the white sox.

I dislike that logic :lolhitting

Then again, that's my biggest gripe with baseball. You get a lot of Adrian Beltre's, Carl Pavano's, and AJ Burnett's having a career year when it's time to grab a contract and then disappear with guaranteed money.

Oh, and I also believe that KW deserves to be fired for many things (including acquiring Peavy), in response to your earlier statement.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 03:33 PM)
Actually started in '08. He's been on the DL at least once every year since then.

Thank you, sir.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 03:37 PM)
There's a tie-link between about 3 of those injuries though. First, the ankle running to first. While rehab starting, ball off the elbow. Mechanics screwed up...shoulder pops. Spends offseason rehabbing, takes some time doing so, had to work through scar tissue, etc.

You take out that one ankle injury and it might well be that no one is thinking he's injury prone.

Real good point. And throw in the groin injury on top of that from being out of game shape from the missed action.