The Juan Pierre Debacle

JohnCangelosi

Juan Pierre  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you blame more for Juan Pierre still being on this ballclub?

• Ozzie
    • Kenny

I refuse to vote, as the correct answer is that they probably deserve equal blame.

In fact, I'd choose Jerry Reinsdorf if I could pick just one person. This whole situation is due to KW's lack of power over Ozzie, and that is directly on JR.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 12:33 PM)
Cause people didn't know that he was bad defensively. He also was supposed to be a lefty masher, which is something we've lacked lately from our outfielders.

Yes, the guy had experience playing all three outfield positions and does indeed have speed. Lillibridge has obviously worked out incredibly well, though.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 01:33 PM)
Cause people didn't know that he was bad defensively. He also was supposed to be a lefty masher, which is something we've lacked lately from our outfielders.

Actually, didn't people know he was pretty bad defensively? His career OF UZR is -21, and that's while never having been a full time starter.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 12:16 PM)
That was meant to be green right? I don't think anyone believes he deserves a roster spot on this board.

Wrong. There's definitely people that believe he deserves a roster spot. They just don't yell about it everyday, 10 times a day.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 06:55 PM)
Wrong. There's definitely people that believe he deserves a roster spot. They just don't yell about it everyday, 10 times a day.

Juan deserves a roster spot. He's not a .195 hitter like Dunn.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 11:53 AM)
I refuse to vote, as the correct answer is that they probably deserve equal blame.

In fact, I'd choose Jerry Reinsdorf if I could pick just one person. This whole situation is due to KW's lack of power over Ozzie, and that is directly on JR.

THIS is the important point, IMO.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 12:27 PM)
Maybe we should do another poll on whether or not Juan Pierre would clear waivers? :headbang

I don't think Juan would clear waivers. There are a handful of teams that could use him...especially as a 4th OFer.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 02:16 PM)
I don't think Juan would clear waivers. There are a handful of teams that could use him...especially as a 4th OFer.

Juan Pierre would clear waivers because any team that claimed him would be on the hook for his full remaining contract for this season (something about $5 million for the next 3 months). The White Sox at least have the Dodgers helping pay for a portion of his salary this year.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 01:16 PM)

How much money does Pierre still have for the rest of this year? If a team claimed him, wouldn't they have to pay him that amount?

Whatever it is, I doubt a team would be willing to pay a 4th OF the amount he'll be receiving.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 01:21 PM)
Juan Pierre would clear waivers because any team that claimed him would be on the hook for his full remaining contract for this season (something about $5 million for the next 3 months). The White Sox at least have the Dodgers helping pay for a portion of his salary this year.

Haha, well there you go.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 01:21 PM)

And it would be ludicrous to pay a bad baseball player $5 million for three months. The only thing worse than that would be paying a bad baseball player $5 million for one month.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 01:25 PM)
And it would be ludicrous to pay a bad baseball player $5 million for three months. The only thing worse than that would be paying a bad baseball player $5 million for one month.

aka Manny Ramirez at the end of 2010