Coop + Kazmir = ???

RudyLawRules

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 08:45 AM)
Whereas I am guessing it is a mechanical problem or injury if he has lost that much velocity, I wouldn't have a problem with a minor league deal.

Really, it's a matter of where a guy like Kazmir wants to go. If he's comfortable trying out a different org, he'll go there. If he wants to come here and pitch for Charlotte, I wouldn't be mad.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 07:45 AM)
Whereas I am guessing it is a mechanical problem or injury if he has lost that much velocity, I wouldn't have a problem with a minor league deal.

Yea Charlotte could use another arm/starter. Dolsi and Zaleski are terrible.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 02:47 AM)
Because the sox ought to have that reputation now. If Cooper can't fix a pitcher, no one can.

I think that is the main story around the bigs. Sad to see the donwward spiral of a Scott Kazmir ior any other real good ball player

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 10:58 AM)
I think that is the main story around the bigs. Sad to see the donwward spiral of a Scott Kazmir ior any other real good ball player

He's another guy that, based on his career arc, we might as well wonder if he had some "Help" as well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 05:46 PM)
He's another guy that, based on his career arc, we might as well wonder if he had some "Help" as well.

Absolutely...it's crazy how he went from having such plus stuff to looking like Mark Buehrle on the mound (stuff wise). I know a lot of us used to think it was a sure loss when we'd face Kazmir in Tampa.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 11:58 AM)
Absolutely...it's crazy how he went from having such plus stuff to looking like Mark Buehrle on the mound (stuff wise). I know a lot of us used to think it was a sure loss when we'd face Kazmir in Tampa.

Back in '06, the only pitcher in the game that I thought had better 'stuff' was Liriano. That includes Santana, Halladay, Felix, etc.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 12:01 PM)
Back in '06, the only pitcher in the game that I thought had better 'stuff' was Liriano. That includes Santana, Halladay, Felix, etc.

Tampa currently sits atop the "really smart franchise" rankings.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 06:36 PM)

Um, did no one catch this?

According to the report which came from “two sources close to the Rays,” Kazmir was removed from the team because of the bad influence that he was on a number of its younger players. Most importantly, David Price. Kazmir’s primary smoking buddy had allegedly been Edwin Jackson who was traded at the end of 2008 for outfielder Matt Joyce.

According to our sources, it was accepted among those close to the Rays that prior to the 2009 season, Kazmir liked to partake in illegal recreational activities with his good friend Edwin Jackson. It is unclear if this played a factor in Jackson being traded prior to the 2009 season. We will let you draw your own conclusions on that one

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 06:43 PM)
Um, did no one catch this?

According to the report which came from “two sources close to the Rays,” Kazmir was removed from the team because of the bad influence that he was on a number of its younger players. Most importantly, David Price. Kazmir’s primary smoking buddy had allegedly been Edwin Jackson who was traded at the end of 2008 for outfielder Matt Joyce.

According to our sources, it was accepted among those close to the Rays that prior to the 2009 season, Kazmir liked to partake in illegal recreational activities with his good friend Edwin Jackson. It is unclear if this played a factor in Jackson being traded prior to the 2009 season. We will let you draw your own conclusions on that one

Well that explains a lot.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 08:33 PM)
If the Rays or Mets knew that Kazmir was a stoner and didn't disclose that when trading him, there is a huge issue there. I think there may be some truth to this story, just not all true.

I don't think the rays were mad that the mets didn't tell them.

Otherwise, teams do give guys physicals before they approve deals.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 08:25 PM)
I don't think the rays were mad that the mets didn't tell them.

Otherwise, teams do give guys physicals before they approve deals.

If a team trades a guy knowing he has some drug issue and doesn't disclose it to the other team, let's just say that doesn't fly. Perhaps they mentioned they have heard the rumors, maybe they even suspect it, etc. They could point to his drug test, or maybe the story just isn't that true. I'm sure if you made everyone on a MLB roster who has ever smoked pot take a week off, you would have a week without enough players to play a game.