6/15 Games

danman31

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 12:28 AM)
I find it really hard to be excited about Thompson or Mitchell, which sucks because I used to be. I don't trust anybody with K issues in the low minors, regardless of tools.

I'm still excited about Trayce Thompson. He's not going to be a Stanton-esque prospect, but there is a lot to like about him, notably his plate discipline and raw power. If you have those, you can survive striking out 150+ times a season...Adam Dunn has made a living off of it.

Mitchell leaves me much less excited. He seems to have a decent eye at the plate, but I don't know how good his bat control is, I don't think his power is going to be anything substantial, and his speed may ultimately end up worse than originally projected due to the Achilles injury.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 01:46 AM)
I'm still excited about Trayce Thompson. He's not going to be a Stanton-esque prospect, but there is a lot to like about him, notably his plate discipline and raw power. If you have those, you can survive striking out 150+ times a season...Adam Dunn has made a living off of it.

Thompson's walk rate this month is absurd for most anyone, but especially for a guy that had a mediocre one previously. Let's see this play out for an extended period before we assume this is part of his game. That said, I do love Trayce. Probably the best power in the system and he's a great athlete to go with it.

I can say I don't hold it against either of you for holding out hope, and it's actually nice because reading it renews some of mine....but I just don't buy it.

High tools guys in the low minors, I want contact rates more than almost anything. That's just a way I view guys. But my man...I hope you're right. Especially about Thompson.

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 12:28 AM)
I find it really hard to be excited about Thompson or Mitchell, which sucks because I used to be. I don't trust anybody with K issues in the low minors, regardless of tools.

Agreed, and at some point here will come Keenyn Walker...........who from all accounts will have the same issues, but he can run.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 01:42 AM)
Thompson's walk rate this month is absurd for most anyone, but especially for a guy that had a mediocre one previously. Let's see this play out for an extended period before we assume this is part of his game. That said, I do love Trayce. Probably the best power in the system and he's a great athlete to go with it.

I'm glad to hear there's some improvement, because otherwise Trayce's #'s are a virtual carbon copy of 2010.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 01:46 AM)

Mitchell leaves me much less excited. He seems to have a decent eye at the plate, but I don't know how good his bat control is, I don't think his power is going to be anything substantial, and his speed may ultimately end up worse than originally projected due to the Achilles injury.

Has there been a recent injury or do you mean the tendon tear that caused him to miss the season? If you are referring to the one that caused him to miss a season that was a tear of the posterior tibialis tendon. I'm not saying this to be an a** but the injuries would effect his future differently. An achilles injury could really effect his speed. The posterior tib injury will effect the stability of his foot but not really effect his speed. If he has lost speed, it most likely isn't due to the tendon injury. Unless it is a fear issue, that could be.