Sox versus Twins 12:10 pm Afternoon Delight

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 02:51 PM)
Wow, so you think Walker does a good job and deserves to stay in his role?

I love how the assumption (word used on purpose) is always that Walker is the one who doesn't know what he is doing, even when he is in the right.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 09:00 PM)
I love how the assumption (word used on purpose) is always that Walker is the one who doesn't know what he is doing, even when he is in the right.

Well, it's his responsibility to get the players to adjust. If they're not listening to him, then either a new voice needs to be brought in or player needs to lose playing time in order to send a message.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 03:02 PM)
Well, it's his responsibility to get the players to adjust. If they're not listening to him, then either a new voice needs to be brought in or player needs to lose playing time in order to send a message.

No offense, but that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. If you don't listen at work, do they fire you, or your boss? If Beckham isn't listening and making adjustments, he is the one who needs to go, because he is the one who isn't doing his job.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 03:00 PM)

A teacher may know that he needs to teach his students algebra, doesn't mean he can actually teach them it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 09:03 PM)
No offense, but that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. If you don't listen at work, do they fire you, or your boss? If Beckham isn't listening and making adjustments, he is the one who needs to go, because he is the one who isn't doing his job.

Well, then why the hell do coaches ever get fired? And did I not say that one of the ways to deal with this is to bench players? If the hitting coach is going to have so little accountability, then why not save the money and just spend more on the draft?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 03:05 PM)
Well, then why the hell do coaches ever get fired? And did I not say that one of the ways to deal with this is to bench players? If the hitting coach is going to have so little accountability, then why not save the money and just spend more on the draft?

If hitting coaches know what they are doing, they aren't the problem. If Gordon Beckham can't listen, he is the problem. Firing Walker because Gordon Beckham has a thick skull is just stupid.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 03:03 PM)

What's the market for a mediocre 2B with no discernible tool?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 03:06 PM)
If hitting coaches know what they are doing, they aren't the problem. If Gordon Beckham can't listen, he is the problem. Firing Walker because Gordon Beckham has a thick skull is just stupid.

GB had no hitch before Walker!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 08:06 PM)

Doesn't it become mysterious though about why there's numerous players on a team that seem to not be able to impliment what Walker is trying to teach them (Rios and Beckham this year, Fields from previous seasons).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 03:06 PM)

Or Walker isn't teaching the right fix, or isn't clear enough, or can't find the right message to Becks....

Fact is, this team isn't hitting with players that used to be able to hit, some of that can be attributed to growing older and losing some talent, but the young guys should be improving, or atleast not backpedaling, yes? Isn't that the job of the hitting coach?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 03:08 PM)
Doesn't it become mysterious though about why there's numerous players on a team that seem to not be able to impliment what Walker is trying to teach them (Rios and Beckham this year, Fields from previous seasons).

Did I miss the success that Fields had somewhere else? Did I miss your rants about how awful Rios was before he got here?

By my count the Sox have 42 quality starts in 70 games. That's 60% and on pace for 97 quality starts. That's very good.

Good teams win between 75 and 80% of their quality starts.

The Sox should have 31-34 wins in those 42 quality starts.

The Sox are 25-17 in their 42 qualilty starts.

So they should be 6-9 games better than they are with the starting pitching they have.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 03:08 PM)

Fields is just bad anywhere he goes, Walker can't fix that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 03:07 PM)
If a student can't learn algebra, it isn't always the teachers fault either.

If a teacher can't teach algebra, then that classroom will have problems.

I can play your games too.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 03:09 PM)
Or Walker isn't teaching the right fix, or isn't clear enough, or can't find the right message to Becks....

Fact is, this team isn't hitting with players that used to be able to hit, some of that can be attributed to growing older and losing some talent, but the young guys should be improving, or atleast not backpedaling, yes? Isn't that the job of the hitting coach?

Guys like Alexei Ramirez, Carlos Quentin, Brent Lillibridge, and Brent Morel don't count or something?