Hudson looking forward to Friday

southsider2k5

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-06...arlotte-catcher

Hudson looks forward to Friday showdown with Sox

June 15, 2011|By Mark Gonzales | Tribune reporter

MINNEAPOLIS - Several weeks ago, Daniel Hudson looked at Arizona's schedule to see whom he would face in the future.

To his pleasant surprise, Hudson discovered he would be facing the Chicago White Sox, who traded him July 30.

“I was looking at the possible matchups, and I thought I’d get to pitch against (John) Danks,” Hudson said Wednesday in a telephone interview.

“But now (Edwin) Jackson is pitching. Since we were traded for each other, that should be very interesting, very cool.”

With Arizona, Hudson is 14-6 with a 2.83 ERA in 25 starts dating back to last season. Jackson, who was acquired by the Sox because he had more experience than Hudson, is 8-7 with a 3.83 ERA in 24 starts with the Sox.

But Hudson knows he's a more seasoned pitcher.

“I just feel the problem when I was with the White Sox was that I was nibbling too much, and all that did was raise my pitch count,” said Hudson, who struck out 14 but walked 11 in 15 2/3 innings with the Sox in 2010 before he was dealt. “Once I got here, it was a fresh start and I came out with the mentality that I was just going to go after the hitters.”

Left-hander David Holmberg, who was dealt to Arizona with Hudson for Jackson, pitched seven innings of two-hit ball and struck out 10 and walked none Wednesday night for Class-A South Bend against Lansing.

Hudson said he still follows the Sox and wasn't surprised that the offense snapped out of their early rut. Hudson still talks to Triple-A Charlotte catcher Tyler Flowers.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is becoming apaprent that some of these posts just become bashing session. Too bad. I think the Friday game if Hudson pitches will be interesting. Is E Jax pitching too? That would be a great game to watch. However, the only TV game I see is the DBacks and Sox on WGN Saturday

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 10:54 AM)
It is becoming apaprent that some of these posts just become bashing session. Too bad. I think the Friday game if Hudson pitches will be interesting. Is E Jax pitching too? That would be a great game to watch. However, the only TV game I see is the DBacks and Sox on WGN Saturday

Yep that is the matchup. And if Hudson has the better game the game thread will be even more unreadable than usual.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 03:07 PM)
I predict 150 posts by fathom alone.

Sorry, I won't be around. And if you think I'm the one who will blow up about Hudson vs Jackson, then you've mistaken me for a few other people. As much as I hate that trade, there's others on here that are significantly more upset about it.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 10:09 AM)
Sorry, I won't be around. And if you think I'm the one who will blow up about Hudson vs Jackson, then you've mistaken me for a few other people. As much as I hate that trade, there's others on here that are significantly more upset about it.

I have no idea who you are referring to? I'm guessing Heads.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 03:12 PM)
I have no idea who you are referring to? I'm guessing Heads.

Seeing how well Holmberg's doing yesterday is the perfect appetizer heading into Friday. Hopefully Jackson throws a lot of sliders, or else Arizona will tee off on his fastball. That team can hit.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 10:19 AM)
I've always thought it was interesting that everybody completely forgets that David Holmberg was part of that trade too. He's putting up a pretty decent season, albeit in A ball.

Decent my ass. He's dominating at 19. And my reign of terror will be godlike if Hudson shuts us down and Jackson is his usual mediocre, I need 100 pitches to get through 4 1/3 innings, self.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 04:27 PM)
Decent my ass. He's dominating at 19. And my reign of terror will be godlike if Hudson shuts us down and Jackson is his usual mediocre, I need 100 pitches to get through 4 1/3 innings, self.

One game doesn't mean that much to me. I think it's safe to say everyone is in agreement is was a horrible trade by Kenny and one I feel like we'll never totally understand what the end game was supposed to be.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 10:30 AM)
One game doesn't mean that much to me. I think it's safe to say everyone is in agreement is was a horrible trade by Kenny.

Well after reading what he said in the article, I am kind of pissed at Hudson, to be honest.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 10:31 AM)
Well after reading what he said in the article, I am kind of pissed at Hudson, to be honest.

It didn't seem that bad, he pretty much said he was trying to be to perfect around the plate and just started attacking when with the D'Backs (something Coop should've fixed with him while here). And he didn't say anything negative about the Sox.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 04:31 PM)

About him trying to nibble on the mound with the Sox? It's still kinda fascinating to think how one lazy effort by Beckham at Oakland might have caused this trade.

Why don't we have any pitchers in our organization "champing at the bit" to pitch against the Twins...saying they look forward to the challenge of beating them? Who actually want to have their starts or order in the rotation changed around specifically so they can face Minnie?

It's almost like nobody wants to acknowledge the elephant in the room....so whether they blow these series up bigger than life or downplay it like they're facing the Pirates or Mariners, it doesn't seem to matter, as far as the end results go.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 09:35 AM)
About him trying to nibble on the mound with the Sox? It's still kinda fascinating to think how one lazy effort by Beckham at Oakland might have caused this trade.

Yeah...and I remember the ball you're talking about...but come on, he was doing the Cuban special those games he pitched for us...and I know it was only 3 starts or something...but it was a very ill-timed 3 mediocre starts.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 10:50 AM)
Yeah...and I remember the ball you're talking about...but come on, he was doing the Cuban special those games he pitched for us...and I know it was only 3 starts or something...but it was a very ill-timed 3 mediocre starts.

He was terrible, and the prospect of a better arm for a playoff push is something ide never blame KW for..

I guess Cooper simply wasn't able to get through to him....for some reason, with young pitchers, that "change of scenery" trade to a non-contending team in a division with spacious ballparks and fewer offensive standouts seems to work wonders.

I was trying to think of a comparison and Kip Wells came to mind right away. I guess we'll find out in the second half of this season if Hudson has the cojones to pitch in a real pennant race this time around.

It's pretty hard to argue (even to his biggest supporters) that Hudson was going to get things turned around last year in the heat of the race. Perhaps they could have waited 2-3 more starts to give him a fairer shot, but the way he pitched in those outings...KW obviously got caught up in the moment, just like the rest of us after that 26-5 run (along with sole possession of first place) and thought it was possible for them to sustain that momentum and go even farther.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 04:50 PM)

He had one great start, and two bad starts.

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 10:52 AM)
He was terrible, and the prospect of a better arm for a playoff push is something ide never blame KW for..

He walked too many guys, but he was not terrible. Nobody was hitting him hard, and he was showing swing and miss stuff.