Hudson looking forward to Friday

southsider2k5

Honestly, if we had the Phillies' Big Four as our starting rotation, I'm not 100% sure it would matter against the Twins.

As soon as they slipped on White Sox pinstripes, the "Twins Fear" would creep into them. Maybe they all need Green Lantern rings to counteract the effects.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 10:42 AM)
Why don't we have any pitchers in our organization "champing at the bit" to pitch against the Twins...saying they look forward to the challenge of beating them? Who actually want to have their starts or order in the rotation changed around specifically so they can face Minnie?

Should Phil Humber be asking to pitch on 3 days rest today? Should he say "Forget Mark Buehrle, I should be pitching today cause I'm better than him!" I'm sure they do look forward to attempting to beat their divsion rival, but you can't step on the toes of your rotation mates like that.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 05:05 PM)
He walked too many guys, but he was not terrible. Nobody was hitting him hard, and he was showing swing and miss stuff.

He wasn't terrible as some suggest, but the fact that Peavy could not deliver as promised due to his injury forced Kenny's hand in trading Hudson to get somebody that may provide quality innngs down the stretch. This shows you how one stupid trade ends up in forcing another one equally or even more dumb.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 10:34 AM)
It didn't seem that bad, he pretty much said he was trying to be to perfect around the plate and just started attacking when with the D'Backs (something Coop should've fixed with him while here). And he didn't say anything negative about the Sox.

That is all that Cooper preaches. I'm guessing the other part of Hudson getting traded is that he wasn't listening. Then he gets dealt and figures out it might be a good idea to start listening.

QUOTE (chisoxt @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 12:12 PM)
He wasn't terrible as some suggest, but the fact that Peavy could not deliver as promised due to his injury forced Kenny's hand in trading Hudson to get somebody that may provide quality innngs down the stretch. This shows you how one stupid trade ends up in forcing another one equally or even more dumb.

No it didn't

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 11:21 AM)
That is all that Cooper preaches. I'm guessing the other part of Hudson getting traded is that he wasn't listening. Then he gets dealt and figures out it might be a good idea to start listening.

Haha, and if they kept him he'd just be a young guy struggling. If they traded Beckham, it'd be the same thing for him. So since Hudson was traded, he automatically gets the same reputation as McCarthy or Anderson.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 11:29 AM)
Haha, and if they kept him he'd just be a young guy struggling. If they traded Beckham, it'd be the same thing for him. So since Hudson was traded, he automatically gets the same reputation as McCarthy or Anderson.

And everyone would be b****ing about us missing an opportunity to trade for a real pitcher when we could have won the division.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 11:30 AM)
And everyone would be b****ing about us missing an opportunity to trade for a real pitcher when we could have won the division.

Really? People would be saying that Edwin Jackson is a real pitcher? Besides his short stint with the Sox and one season a few years ago, he's been nothing but mediocre or bad.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 10:07 AM)
Should Phil Humber be asking to pitch on 3 days rest today? Should he say "Forget Mark Buehrle, I should be pitching today cause I'm better than him!" I'm sure they do look forward to attempting to beat their divsion rival, but you can't step on the toes of your rotation mates like that.

I just find the fact that they were FINALLY working in the morning before the game on the slidestep with Gavin a bit disconcerting.

Even more troubling is the "it is what it is" attitude about our attempts by pitchers to hold runners and/or AJ's ability to throw them out.

No problems with Buehrle starting at all. That's not my point. It's just that we never, EVER seem to learn from past mistakes against this team. Liriano could be out there on the mound and our batters would be taking swings like it was the first time they'd ever faced him. Oops, they already did that the last couple of times they faced him.

You thought with Santana and Radke gone, Liriano and Nathan injured....that sooner or later our luck would have changed. It's like that classic movie "Groundhog Day" although not nearly as amusing. I halfway expect to see the ghosts of Lew Ford, Denny Hocking, LeCroy, Corey Koskie, Mike Redmond, Henry Blanco, Nick Punto, Jason Bartlett and Jason Tyner taking the field today in a tribute to past triumphs over the Sox.

I hate that Peavy's been a disaster with us, but he's at least the type of guy who would publicly accept the challenge of beating them...and confronting this "jinx" we seem to have against the Twins. It's going to have to come from some of the players (or future players) who don't have such long histories of consistently losing against the Twins. Instead of signing aging NL players, we should be signing all ex-Yankees not named Swisher. Or signing Twins players away from Minnie. What other options are left?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 11:32 AM)
Really? People would be saying that Edwin Jackson is a real pitcher? Besides his short stint with the Sox and one season a few years ago, he's been nothing but mediocre or bad.

If Hudson were struggling here, absolutely they would.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 11:34 AM)
If Hudson were struggling here, absolutely they would.

Ah, OK. I forgot you have the ability to see things that could have been. I guess the only thing we have to go on is their performances up to this point. I wonder who has been better in that regard?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 11:35 AM)
Ah, OK. I forgot you have the ability to see things that could have been. I guess the only thing we have to go on is their performances up to this point. I wonder who has been better in that regard?

Right, because Soxtalk never looks back on trades and freaks out. :lolhitting

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 04:30 PM)

Considering a lot of us on here believe heavily in the AL vs NL influence, I highly doubt "Edwin Jackson is a real pitcher" was a common belief on here.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 11:37 AM)
Considering a lot of us on here believe heavily in the AL vs NL influence, I highly doubt "Edwin Jackson is a real pitcher" was a common belief on here.

Yes, the guy has somehow gotten better since coming back to the AL (which is still worse than Hudson has done in the majors).

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 11:37 AM)
The problem is that you're saying the exact opposite, that they would freak out had they not acquired Jackson.

If Hudson had struggled after the "non-trade" like you suggested earlier, I have no doubt that is exactly what would have happened.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 12:40 PM)
If Hudson had struggled after the "non-trade" like you suggested earlier, I have no doubt that is exactly what would have happened.

But there would have been a signficant group of people...led by me if no one else, who wanted to give him time, because rookies who are scared and trying to throw the perfect pitch every time out tend to work things out in a year or two.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 11:43 AM)
But there would have been a signficant group of people...led by me if no one else, who wanted to give him time, because rookies who are scared and trying to throw the perfect pitch every time out tend to work things out in a year or two.

Na, those three games (one of which was good) were plenty to write off his entire career.

Hudson must have said something derogatory about Oney or hung out with McCarthy a few years ago.