Dunn last 7 games : .158/.304/.368/.672

macsandz

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kapzk @ Jun 17, 2011 -> 12:03 PM)
Also nice to see him not strikeout as much. Has been 6 games since he struck out more than once. In fact he hasn't struck out in the last two games.

This is what I am encouraged by. If he can just get the bat on the ball, god things will start to happen. If he starts getting the ball in the air, homers will come.

It's been a long, slow adjustment, if indeed this has been an adjustment period. But if he starts cranking homers on a regular basis and continues hitting better I'm okay with that.

On a side note, Dunn in the outfield should be entertaining. They might need an oxygen tank on the sidelines if he has to chase down a liner.

QUOTE (kapzk @ Jun 17, 2011 -> 11:58 AM)
Ozzie said he will certainly put him couple of games at 1B and mentioned the possibility of Dunn in the outfield.

So does he sit Pierre or Quentin if he puts Dunn in the outfield? Obvious choice seems to be Pierre, but I doubt Ozzie even considers that a possibility.

QUOTE (PorkChopExpress @ Jun 17, 2011 -> 12:16 PM)
So does he sit Pierre or Quentin if he puts Dunn in the outfield? Obvious choice seems to be Pierre, but I doubt Ozzie even considers that a possibility.

If CQ sits instead of Pierre than I'm done with this team. We'd be 15 games out if not for CQ. If Dunn plays the OF, which is going to be extremely entertaining, it'd better be in LF for that POS.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 17, 2011 -> 01:23 PM)
If CQ sits instead of Pierre than I'm done with this team. We'd be 15 games out if not for CQ. If Dunn plays the OF, which is going to be extremely entertaining, it'd better be in LF for that POS.

Hahaha ya he pretty much played LF majority of the times, no way they sit Quentin. I would like to see Dunn - LF, Lilli - CF, Quentin - RF, I dunno what Ozzie would do tho

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 17, 2011 -> 12:23 PM)

Please be done with this team.

Please.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 17, 2011 -> 12:36 PM)
Ozzie will dictate this. And I'm sure you would come to his defense if he sat one of the most productive players in baseball for the equivalent of the fat kid from Sandlot (he actually had more pop).

The Great Hambino?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 17, 2011 -> 12:23 PM)

Do you want to bench Konerko for him? Dunn should sit or comically play LF, why would you bench our best hitter?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 17, 2011 -> 03:04 PM)
We would bench our best hitter because you dont question Ozzie Guillen, he is the one who fills out the scorecards.

What do i know? I'm usually busy pissing on the statues in front of the stadium.

http://www.csnchicago.com/06/19/11/Sox-Dra...&feedID=661

Sox Drawer: Thomas understands Dunn's plight

In his first year as a full-time designated hitter, all of Frank Thomas' stats took a major hit. (US PRESSWIRE)

NEW SOX_mobile alerts.jpg

June 19, 2011

Posted: 8:58 PM

By Chuck Garfien

CSNChicago.com

It’s not easy for Frank Thomas to do anything under the radar in Chicago. When you stand 6-foot-5, weigh 260 pounds and are a White Sox legend, you pretty much get recognized every time you breathe.

But on a recent trip to U-S Cellular Field, without any fanfare or media around, the Big Hurt walked discreetly into the White Sox clubhouse searching for Adam Dunn.

The new White Sox designated hitter was in the midst of the biggest slump of his baseball career. The two sluggers had met before, but with Dunn’s batting average stuck below .200, Frank wasn’t sure what kind of mood Adam would be in, let alone if he’d be willing to hear some friendly advice.

"I thought he would be down and out and wouldn’t want to talk," Thomas said by phone from his home in Las Vegas. "No, he was chipper, just like the guy I met before. He just couldn’t figure it out at that particular time. He said he just felt 'off.'"

Frank could definitely relate.

Lost in the hoopla of the Dunn signing this past winter, and lost in White Sox history, is what happened to Frank Thomas the first season he went from being a full-time first baseman to full-time designated hitter.

Most people have forgotten about it. Not Frank.

In 1997, Thomas’ last season at first-base, he had one of the best seasons of his career. He belted 35 homers, drove in 125 RBIs. He went to the All-Star Game and finished 3rd in the AL MVP voting. He was vintage Frank Thomas.

But in 1998, the roof caved in.

Why?

Blame it on the DH.

Harold Baines was gone, Thomas was turning 30, so the White Sox felt it was time to hand over the full-time designated hitter role to the iconic slugger. The move would improve the team defensively, and keep Thomas fresh, especially as the season wore on.

So what happened?

Frank’s statistics took a nosedive straight into Lake Michigan.

After leading the American League in hitting in 1997 with a .347 batting average, Thomas’ hitting plummeted like an internet stock. He finished the season batting just .265, an incredible drop of 82 points. This from a man whose season average had never dipped below .308.

There would be no All-Star game, and certainly no votes for MVP.

"It takes a while to adjust because it’s a different ballgame," Thomas said.

How long is "a while?" Thomas says he didn’t feel comfortable being an everyday designated hitter until the last few seasons of his career.

Probably not the kind of news Dunn wants to hear.

The biggest hurdle is what to do with all that idle time when you’re not at the plate, which over the course of the seven hours a player is at the ballpark makes up about six hours and 45 minutes.

"You’ve got to find a way to get your mind off hitting 24-7," Thomas explained. That’s what he told Dunn. "You’ve got to find a way to keep yourself in the game like you’re actually playing like a first baseman."

Thomas says that he would take ground balls at first base during batting practice just to have something in his brain besides “hitting, hitting, and more hitting.” Especially when he was in a slump, which Dunn has been dealing with for the first two-and-a-half months of the season.

After batting .260 in 2010 with the Washington Nationals, Dunn is hitting just .182 and leads the American League in strikeouts. He’s showing signs of life lately with 2 HRs and six RBIs in his last seven games.

"For (Dunn), he’s got to find a way to keep himself involved in the ballgame, because this guy can carry you sooner or later, and they need him if they hope to win a championship this year," Thomas said.

Right now, the Sox seem miles away from a championship. And after watching them play this season from a distance on TV, Thomas will see the White Sox in person this week, back working for Comcast SportsNet as a pre and post-game analyst during the first Crosstown Series against the Cubs.

"The Sox have underachieved,"Thomas said. "There are still a lot of games left. The goal for the team now is to just get to .500 by the All-Star break, and then in the second half catch fire."

To do it, they’re going to need Dunn to get hot. If he does, he can send a thank you note addressed to a guy who’s in his corner.

The Big Help.

I personally think Thomas would be the ideal hitting coach for the White Sox. He was a complete hitter. He knew how to hit for power, hit for average and have patience at the plate. He obviously had a great approach at the plate and seems intelligent enough to pass along his wisdom to other players. On a more personal level, I would love the big man to be back with the Sox full time.