Dunn last 7 games : .158/.304/.368/.672

macsandz

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 10:21 AM)
I personally think Thomas would be the ideal hitting coach for the White Sox. He was a complete hitter. He knew how to hit for power, hit for average and have patience at the plate. He obviously had a great approach at the plate and seems intelligent enough to pass along his wisdom to other players. On a more personal level, I would love the big man to be back with the Sox full time.

I don't think KW's or Ozzie's egos would ever allow that. They've obviously buried the hatchet (mainly KW and Frank). But I don't believe for a second there's not some animosity between the two. KW would never go for Frank of all people coming in here and doing something his guy couldn't do.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 10:30 AM)
I don't think KW's or Ozzie's egos would ever allow that. They've obviously buried the hatchet (mainly KW and Frank). But I don't believe for a second there's not some animosity between the two. KW would never go for Frank of all people coming in here and doing something his guy couldn't do.

Personally, I don't think Thomas would be a good hitting coach froma technique stand point. If only seen him, Hank aaron and Roberto Clemente use the front foot hitting style where they lifted the rear foot. I'm also not sure he can teach the patience. However, maybe he teach overall philosophy.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 04:37 PM)
Personally, I don't think Thomas would be a good hitting coach froma technique stand point. If only seen him, Hank aaron and Roberto Clemente use the front foot hitting style where they lifted the rear foot. I'm also not sure he can teach the patience. However, maybe he teach overall philosophy.

He doesn't particularly seem to be a people person either.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 03:28 PM)
Hitting coaches have about the same impact as one might expect from all those free-throw shooting coaches Shaq had.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 03:29 PM)
Then why do they have a high paying job?

1.) Great post. I agree.

2.) Because they do apparently do a lot of think tank work, like making tapes available for players, probably listen to them as they discuss hitting. Problem is the players ultimately don't listen to these guys. I would think they are great organizers and listeners thus the healthy contract salary.

Hitting coaches are incredibly important. The subtlest tweak in a hitter's load/swing can be the difference between making line drive contact or popping up. Being a great defensive player and horrible hitter in my high school playing days, I wish I had someone who could notice the subtlest mechanical flaws in my swing. Granted, I was small, so even that may have not helped, but who knows. Hitting is so mechanical that every little bit helps. Having a hitting coach who can painstakingly analyze tape of a player's swing and find the flaw has immense worth.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 01:53 PM)
Hitting coaches are incredibly important. The subtlest tweak in a hitter's load/swing can be the difference between making line drive contact or popping up. Being a great defensive player and horrible hitter in my high school playing days, I wish I had someone who could notice the subtlest mechanical flaws in my swing. Granted, I was small, so even that may have not helped, but who knows. Hitting is so mechanical that every little bit helps. Having a hitting coach who can painstakingly analyze tape of a player's swing and find the flaw has immense worth.

Well, from my experience it's not that uncommon or difficult. I had a hitting coach in high school that would film me and have major league comparisons going at the same time to show me slight differences, but then I also had a high school coach that was 25 who could see little things in a batting practice. That's 2 people involved in high school ball that were good hitting coachs, in Michigan of all places, so the coaches are out there.

Judging the worth of a hitting coach on a player still in development stages is quite a different animal than that of a MLB hitting coach. Most of the difference definitely has to do with the level of the players and the inability/unwillingness to adjust. Players most likely fall into two camps: 1. Those who willingly and proactively adjust 2. Those who will never do so(or only under extreme duress).

Basically I see it as the nature of a pro athlete and their makeup. The "best" hitting instructors probably get most of their success not imparting any of their own views on hitting, but rather in pointing out where a player has strayed from a swing in which he had previous success. By the time you're at the major league level, players have signficantly different swings honed over the years and influenced by many teachers, at the MLB level you're not changing that.

So I'd pretty much agree there's not much they're actually controlling other than being able to communicate with the players. Every single major league hitting coach can dissect a swing, as can another 250 waiting in the wings. Much like a manager(in baseball or othwerwise) it comes down to managing people, not the game(task).

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 03:50 AM)
Yep, he's on fire. His average is all the way up to .178. And, he only struck out 3 times today. I guess having him play the field more is really making a difference.

We should just bench him and let fans bat in his place.

It'd be a nice promotion, but with our luck, the fans would get injured and sue the team for zillions.

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 10:50 PM)
Yep, he's on fire. His average is all the way up to .178. And, he only struck out 3 times today. I guess having him play the field more is really making a difference.

I thought it was 4 times?

Either way, he's hilariously bad right now. I really don't even get mad.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 03:54 AM)
I thought it was 4 times?

Either way, he's hilariously bad right now. I really don't even get mad.

This is the first season in many many seasons where I don't get mad.

We have a horrible baseball team in so many ways. Expect to lose; surprised n happy if/when we win.

wish i could find the dunn all-in commercial. it's pretty terrible.

didn't he constantly say last year he didn't want to be a DH, then he takes it back and becomes one and can't adjust to it. Who knows maybe he'll have a monster second half, just don't see it.

don't know who i hate watching take AB's more Dunn or Rios. :(

Edited by buhbuhburrrrlz

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 09:07 AM)
Kenny Williams math lesson:

Adam Dunn = 24 man roster for next 3.5 years - ($56,000,000 + 1 first round pick).

Hey, then it should be a little less than $50,000,000!!!

$49+ milllion somehow sounds better, less cataclysmic.

http://apps.detnews.com/apps/blogs/tonypau....php?blogid=635

"I've just been trying to almost get out of this stupid funk that I'm in by one swing, swinging as hard as I can," Dunn, who has 65 strikeouts in 156 at-bats in his first tour of the AL (no legit excuse to stink, I say, in this era of constant player movement and interleague play), told MLB.com. "And that's really not me, I don't swing as hard as I can, I never have. I needed to just relax and get back to the basics of seeing it and hitting it."

Edited by caulfield12