6/17 GT SOX @ D'Backs - 8:40pm CDT - CSN

knightni

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 17, 2011 -> 09:24 PM)
Jackson is so bad that he has the highest WAR of any starter on this staff.

Whoops, wasn't supposed to say that.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 17, 2011 -> 09:26 PM)
Any metric that has Jackson higher than Humber this year is bogus to me

Yeah I noticed that today, too. Is WAR for pitchers based off xFIP?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 17, 2011 -> 10:26 PM)

Well, they are actually tied with a 1.7. But as MattZ said, WAR understands BABIP (At least I'm pretty sure). Humber has been good, but he has also been pretty lucky, and his peripherals don't scream "dominance".

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 17, 2011 -> 09:26 PM)

In that sense, Jackson and Javy are very similar. 5 K's already, and a pitch count that will limit him to five innings and a burned out pen if we're still close in this game.

I guess with the two off days and Floyd being overextended, it won't hurt. But there's just no way you can have 50+ pitches through 2 innings. Slowey or Blackburn or Mays would have 50 pitches through 6 or 7 innings against us.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 17, 2011 -> 09:28 PM)
Well, they are actually tied with a 1.7. But as MattZ said, WAR understands BABIP (At least I'm pretty sure). Humber has been good, but he has also been pretty lucky, and his peripherals don't scream "dominance".

Humber's WHIP is 0.97. That is dominant. Jackson's is like 1.55, which sucks. WAR for pitchers seems to be quite flawed. How can one be more valuable to his team based on what he should have done rather than what he has done?!?! Not criticizing you, but the WAR stat as it seems to be using expected metrics.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 17, 2011 -> 10:28 PM)

Not directly, but it's based on FIP, which only looks at Ks, BBs, and HRs.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 17, 2011 -> 10:30 PM)
We are paying him $8.35M, and he has been worth $7.7M less than half-way through the season. Again, I probably shouldn't say these things....

Really, this is just saying that te metric overrates the strikeouts. Jackson has been our 2nd worst starter.