6/17 GT SOX @ D'Backs - 8:40pm CDT - CSN

knightni

Juan Pierre was the first one to the ballpark today to work out, arriving just past 11:00 am.

According to Farmio.

I like the story better about Showalter. How he ordered Roger Bossard to put holes in the outfield so that it would drain better. When, as expected, this didn't exactly work, Bossard refused to re-sod the entire outfield and made Buck do it himself.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 17, 2011 -> 09:31 PM)
What's the lowest batting average (and slugging percentage or OPS) ever for a player with over 700 plate appearances in a season?

And of course, Hudson has got 8 outs in a row with ease.

700 is a lot of PAs. Among batting average title qualifiers, Cesar Izturis at .545 (2010), Nick Punto at .562 (2007), Neifi Perez at .564 (2002), Ramon Santiago at .576 (2003) and Angel Berroa at .592 (2006). That's your top (last) five since 2000, all ironically from AL teams.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 17, 2011 -> 10:34 PM)
Really, this is just saying that te metric overrates the strikeouts. Jackson has been our 2nd worst starter.

And it takes pitcher-independant variables in to consideration. Edwin has been rather unlucky this year, which Humber has been rather lucky.

Edwin's xFIP is 3.54. Humber's is 3.98.

Just to be clear, I am not saying EJax is better than Humber, because I'd much rather have Humber right now, but I'm just trying to calm all those people down who are clearly overreacting about Jackson right now, especially that ridiculous post about not trading Lucas Harrell for Jackson straight up. People need to back off some.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 17, 2011 -> 09:36 PM)
700 is a lot of PAs. Among batting average title qualifiers, Cesar Izturis at .545 (2010), Nick Punto at .562 (2007), Neifi Perez at .564 (2002), Ramon Santiago at .576 (2003) and Angel Berroa at .592 (2006). That's your top (last) five since 2000, all ironically from AL teams.

Even more ironic, 4/5 were AL Central players.

OFC, Clayton Richard gave up 5 ER's in 5 IP on 10 hits...against the Twins (even the jinx holds for ex-Sox players against the Twins). But SD is only one run down now after rallying back into it.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (kapzk @ Jun 17, 2011 -> 10:35 PM)
how come no one blames Coop for the EJ trade, I pretty sure Kenny pulled the trigger cuz of Coop.

I think he pulled the trigger because of Rizzo's lies, but took the risk because Coop wanted his arm to fix. So yeah, good point, I wonder where Coop has been with this. Jackson was so awesome the first month or so we had him, then he just got so mediocre all the sudden.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 17, 2011 -> 09:40 PM)
This has been an awful week of baseball watching for me. I have never been so happy to be going on vacation soon

Ha. I just came back from one. It was glorious not to have to watch bad baseball. But sadly, I still incessantly check for scores.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 17, 2011 -> 10:38 PM)
And it takes pitcher-independant variables in to consideration. Edwin has been rather unlucky this year, which Humber has been rather lucky.

Edwin's xFIP is 3.54. Humber's is 3.98.

Just to be clear, I am not saying EJax is better than Humber, because I'd much rather have Humber right now, but I'm just trying to calm all those people down who are clearly overreacting about Jackson right now, especially that ridiculous post about not trading Lucas Harrell for Jackson straight up. People need to back off some.

The problem is, he's been like this his entire career. The only stretches where he hasn't are 2 stretches where he put up babip numbers near .225.

QUOTE (bulokis @ Jun 17, 2011 -> 09:28 PM)
We are paying ejax how much? That is definitely a head scratcher. KW hates young, inexpensive pitchers hehe.

Kenny hates the adjustment/acclimation period that is inherent with most prospects. Rare is the rookie who can step in and hit the ground running to produce great results immediately. The ones that do are few and far between.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 17, 2011 -> 09:42 PM)
I dont how a pitcher getting lucky should impact their WAR. Seems like only their performance on the mound should count

Exactly. WAR should be based on how you are actually are doing not what you should be doing.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 17, 2011 -> 07:36 PM)
Juan Pierre was the first one to the ballpark today to work out, arriving just past 11:00 am.

According to Farmio.

I like the story better about Showalter. How he ordered Roger Bossard to put holes in the outfield so that it would drain better. When, as expected, this didn't exactly work, Bossard refused to re-sod the entire outfield and made Buck do it himself.

Maybe Juan should try to be the last guy to the ballpark. Being the first one isn't working out very well.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 17, 2011 -> 10:45 PM)
Exactly. WAR should be based on how you are actually are doing not what you should be doing.

The theory is that for the most part, pitchers over time can't control anything other than Ks BBs and HRs. The BABIPs will regress, though it may take a full season ro more to do so. There are a handful of exceptions to this, but for the most part it has bee proven correct. Based on this understanding, it does measure what the pitchers are 'actually doing'.