2011-2012 NHL Thread

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 10:29 PM)
Wowee, never thought they'd be able to dump Campbell's contract, but they've been able to do that and not get a bad contract in return for doing so.

Seen that Richards, Kaberle, Pitkanen etc. have been mentioned as possible FA targets. Do the Hawks go really hard after a #1 center like Richards, or try to sign a real good defender to replace Campbell as their 1st priority?

It seems that a 2nd line center has been priority #1 for a long time. If they don't want to (potentially) overpay, you can get a Brooks Laich as well as another solid d-man and save some money. But you have to think Brad Richards is the guy they sent Brouwer and Soupy out for unless they're going to be active with trades.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 10:37 PM)
Today was simply huge.

I don't think that's an overstatement. Basically were looking at keeping Sharp, Campoli (possibly) and acquiring Richards and other complimentary players. This was a huge night.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 10:48 PM)
We now have the Panthers' top two prospects from 2006 in Frolik and Olesz. Kinda funny.

We also have Salak. And they now have Skille and Campbell lol.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 10:54 PM)
We also have Salak. And they now have Skille and Campbell lol.

Dale Tallon is secretly still on payroll. I think a Crawford/Salak goaltending tandem for the low price of $3 million is gonna be a steal.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 10:57 PM)
Dale Tallon is secretly still on payroll. I think a Crawford/Salak goaltending tandem for the low price of $3 million is gonna be a steal.

Salak might be the best part of the Skille deal down the road. But realistically, with how good Frolik was down the stretch, anything we get from Salak is a bonus. Skille was kind of awful.

I am in complete shock right now. I have no idea why Florida would take the Campbell contract off our hands other than the fact that they cannot attract big name FAs, but Campbell has declined rapidly and has a lot of 7 mill years left. This is simply an amazing gift and is going to allow the Hawks to greatly upgrade their roster and go after the Cup the next handful of years as a legit contender.

I am stoked. We could go after the guy I think can make the biggest difference in Richards. However, I don't know if we can handle an 8-year deal at 6.5 mill like he wants. I'd like to see the Hawks extend Sharpie and figure things out after that.

THIS IS SO f***ING AWESOME.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 11:05 PM)
I am in complete shock right now. I have no idea why Florida would take the Campbell contract off our hands other than the fact that they cannot attract big name FAs, but Campbell has declined rapidly and has a lot of 7 mill years left. This is simply an amazing gift and is going to allow the Hawks to greatly upgrade their roster and go after the Cup the next handful of years as a legit contender.

I am stoked. We could go after the guy I think can make the biggest difference in Richards. However, I don't know if we can handle an 8-year deal at 6.5 mill like he wants. I'd like to see the Hawks extend Sharpie and figure things out after that.

THIS IS SO f***ING AWESOME.

Apparently Florida is real close (or might be there right now) to the cap floor that adding Campbell helps get them there cuz god knows nobody of any value is going to sign there as a FA. And like someone already said, you gotta figure Sharpie's extension is only a matter of when now.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 11:08 PM)
Apparently Florida is real close (or might be there right now) to the cap floor that adding Campbell helps get them there cuz god knows nobody of any value is going to sign there as a FA. And like someone already said, you gotta figure Sharpie's extension is only a matter of when now.

Just read on twitter that FLO is still 24 million under the cap floor...

Just saw the videos from BHTV re McNeill and Danault. Great, great picks everyone, from what the TSN feed said. Pierre McGuire was very positive and favorable about McNeill's game, and Danault's character.

Edited by OilCan

Wow. What a day. Getting 1st round value for Brouwer is a steal. I don't know much about Olesz, but his contract is $4 mil less/year and one year shorter so I'm happy. Maybe one of the true puck heads can fill me in as to what we can expect from him, if anything.

Campbell was a solid player, and wouldn't be so hated if Tallon didn't offer him that ridiculous contract. Either way, he had to go, and its good to see the Hawks have some money to re-sign Sharpie (so I dont have to buy a new jersey) and make a few other moves too.

Watching that draft and checking the 2011-12 schedule made me very ready for hockey season.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 12:32 AM)
Wow. What a day. Getting 1st round value for Brouwer is a steal. I don't know much about Olesz, but his contract is $4 mil less/year and one year shorter so I'm happy. Maybe one of the true puck heads can fill me in as to what we can expect from him, if anything.

Campbell was a solid player, and wouldn't be so hated if Tallon didn't offer him that ridiculous contract. Either way, he had to go, and its good to see the Hawks have some money to re-sign Sharpie (so I dont have to buy a new jersey) and make a few other moves too.

Watching that draft and checking the 2011-12 schedule made me very ready for hockey season.

Campbell also never would have been a Blackhawk had Tallon not offered him that contract. Let's not minimize what Campbell meant to the Hawks. He was the first post-Wirtz sign that s*** was changing, and he was a Champion. A STANLEY CUP CHAMPION, for the Blackhawks. The Hawks HAD to offer him that stupid money or else he'd have signed somewhere that was known to suck much less than Chicago at that time.

But now it's time to really roll and get another Cup!

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 12:32 AM)

Olesz was the 7th overall pick in 2004. 3rd line winger on a good team. Has some talent, but coming off ACL surgery. He's got a 3.125 cap hit for the next 3 years. You're probably looking at about 35 points at most if he stays healthy. Florida had him up way early, before he was really ready for the NHL. I don't think we're looking at a Frolik-like steal here.

Never thought the Hawks would be players in the FA market. Didn't even think we would be able to to re-sign Sharp AND all the other guys like Frolik and Stalberg, and Brower (obviously not anymore).

This is awesome. I am in the group that thinks Campbell was underrated defensively, but he was never worth $7M a year. All this cap room and we already have our goalie situation locked up? I'm f***in' pumped.

My god... Stan Bowman.. :o

Now extend Sharp, re-sign Frolik and get us a vet, physical defense-man to pair with Leddy or Campoli if re-signed (Wiz please. :)) or Ehrhoff if Hawks don't feel Leddy is ready for a top 4 role.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 12:44 AM)
Olesz was the 7th overall pick in 2004. 3rd line winger on a good team. Has some talent, but coming off ACL surgery. He's got a 3.125 cap hit for the next 3 years. You're probably looking at about 35 points at most if he stays healthy. Florida had him up way early, before he was really ready for the NHL. I don't think we're looking at a Frolik-like steal here.

It really doesn't matter who we got for him. Just dumping that deal and saving half of that contract is a win.