2011-2012 NHL Thread

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 10:22 AM)
More minutes for John Scott means more minutes of BAD hockey for the Blackhawks.

Seriously, if Scott takes up most of Brian Campbell's minutes, the Campbell trade suddenly becomes a bad move.

That's the ONLY WAY the Campbell trade could become a bad move.

That's clearly not going to happen.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um, holy s***.

Reports: NHL to realign for 2012-13

The return of the Winnipeg Jets to the NHL will create a ripple effect throughout the league with a dramatic realignment for the 2012-13 season as a result, multiple media outlets have reported.

Winnipeg, which is the new home of the relocated Atlanta Thrashers, will play the upcoming 2011-12 season in the Eastern Conference's Southeast Division despite being 70 miles north of Minnesota.

The Jets' division features the Tampa Bay Lightning, Washington Capitals, Florida Panthers and Carolina Hurricanes.

With Western Conference teams Detroit, Nashville and Columbus hoping to be relocated to the East, the NHL has opted to realign the entire league rather than shifting Winnipeg, according to the Sporting News.

The purveying plan seeks to divide the league into four divisions -- two with eight teams and two with seven teams. The plan will likely be finalized at December's Board of Governors meeting.

Commissioner Gary Bettman hinted at changes to come in his annual state-of-the-NHL address before the Stanley Cup finals opener earlier this month.

"All those clubs need an opportunity to be heard," Bettman said. "That's a process we'll go through the first half of next season, looking at the issues that clubs want to raise, looking at various possibilities, and trying to figure out what will make the most sense moving forward."

Four divisions? I f***ing love that. No chance of a top 3 team getting a s*** seed again! I hope Detroit doesn't go East, though, simply for the rivalry.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nhl/news/story?id=6706113

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 01:16 PM)
The day I start listening to Rotoworld in terms of whether the Hawks are going to use Scott as the 4th/5th D-man is the day I shoot myself.

Well the quotes about more ice time were directly from Bowman. Let's just hope it is posturing and all.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 07:42 AM)
I don't abhor your ideas, but I do genuinely think we have to ask how much Madden could possibly have left in the tank at this point. Also, there's a very real chance that McNeil could be taking up 3rd Lind center immediately.

This would bump Bolland to that checking line if we are indeed intent on improving our #2 center position from the outside. I also have to imagine t(of pray) that Beach contends for a spot on this roster; we very well might see some youth movement here.

If that's the case, I expect Kaberle to be signed as the Hawks focus on defense, along with the aforementioned center upgrade (again, the more I read the less likely Richards sounds. I think the hawks can't afford a deal similar to the Campbell one they just dropped). This will all be hhighly entertaining.

I can't see McNeill playing in the NHL right away, though he has the physical attributes to do so. Either way, any line Bolland is on is the checking line by default. That's why I'd like to keep Frolik/Bolland/Bickell together because they're talented both ways.

And I do think Madden has enough in the tank for another season at least. He has 2 more points last year than he did with the Hawks the previous year, though he was a -9, but obviously that's not all on him.

Here's my earlier proposal: http://www.capgeek.com/cap_calculator/roster.php?id=2689

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 10:49 AM)
I'm taking this as Bowman not showing his hand prior to free agency. No way on earth does he or Scotty get rid of a guy they considered putrid on defense and replace him with John Scott. Just has to be posturing at this point.

Yeah, why tip your hand and give someone the advantage in negotiating?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 06:22 PM)
Yeah, why tip your hand and give someone the advantage in negotiating?

But would any agent actually believe that the Hawks would give John Scott significant minutes (other than Scott's agent, maybe)?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:33 PM)
Um, holy s***.

Four divisions? I f***ing love that. No chance of a top 3 team getting a s*** seed again! I hope Detroit doesn't go East, though, simply for the rivalry.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nhl/news/story?id=6706113

Detroit has been begging to move to the East for years.

QUOTE (OilCan @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 07:51 PM)
Make that Detroit, Columbus and quite possibly Nashville. Since they are all in the Eastern Time Zone, it would make sense.

The NHL is dumber than s*** if they separate Chicago and Detroit. If they are going to redo things, it would be cool if they could somehow get Chicago St Louis, Detroit, and Minnesota all together.

QUOTE (OilCan @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 07:51 PM)
Make that Detroit, Columbus and quite possibly Nashville. Since they are all in the Eastern Time Zone, it would make sense.

They could only move one of those teams. Other than Winnipeg, no one in the East would accept a move to the West and uneven conferences would be unfair to teams' playoff chances. (like the AL West/NL Central). Hopefully its Columbus. I would like to keep the rivalry with Detroit and I like having Nashville in the division, cause it's such a fun, easy trip to make for road games.

The teams in the Mountain and Pacific time zone will be one in division. All of the central time zone teams plus either Detroit or Columbus will be in the other western division.

How would they break up the eastern time zone teams (minus Detroit or Columbus)?

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 10:01 AM)
The teams in the Mountain and Pacific time zone will be one in division. All of the central time zone teams plus either Detroit or Columbus will be in the other western division.

How would they break up the eastern time zone teams (minus Detroit or Columbus)?

I would imagine something like this, where the Canadian teams are together, as are the Southern teams. Then you just kind of mix & match all the NE teams

Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Buffalo, Boston, Rangers, Islanders, New Jersey

Florida, Tampa Bay, Carolina, Washington, Detroit/Columbus, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 10:05 AM)
I would imagine something like this, where the Canadian teams are together, as are the Southern teams. Then you just kind of mix & match all the NE teams

Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Buffalo, Boston, Rangers, Islanders, New Jersey

Florida, Tampa Bay, Carolina, Washington, Detroit/Columbus, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh

Looks good, that map works out better than I thought it would. I'm sure if Detroit gets moved instead of Columbus, they would prefer the Canadian division, but screw them, Detroit sucks. I think that map would look even better if Florida & Tampa Bay were just moved to Quebec, Hamilton, Seattle, KC or wherever far up north from Florida.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 10:11 AM)

That actually comes together pretty nicely. Honestly I wish the Hawks and Wings could be in the East, because there is nothing worse than the 9:30pm puck drop. But the reality is that there isn't really way to do that.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 10:23 AM)
Looks good, that map works out better than I thought it would. I'm sure if Detroit gets moved instead of Columbus, they would prefer the Canadian division, but screw them, Detroit sucks. I think that map would look even better if Florida & Tampa Bay were just moved to Quebec, Hamilton, Seattle, KC or wherever far up north from Florida.

I'm largely hockey ignorant... how is hockey going in Tampa and Miami? I know Phoenix is possibly a dead team walking (I believe there was a movement to move them BACK to Winnipeg before the Thrashers jumped in). I could see them moving int he next few years too.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 10:27 AM)
That actually comes together pretty nicely. Honestly I wish the Hawks and Wings could be in the East, because there is nothing worse than the 9:30pm puck drop. But the reality is that there isn't really way to do that.

I like a 9:30 puck drop. Booze city.