2011-2012 NHL Thread

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 04:33 PM)
Andrew Ladd got a 5-year, $22 million dollar contract extension ($4.4 million cap hit). That's A LOT of money for him. I really like him as a second-line player with solid defensive skills, but looks like a bit of an overpay. But he is young still, so he could continue to improve.

Regardless, good for him. I really liked him as a player.

Only 25, nearly had 60 points last year, defensive stud who is a terrific PK guy and can play on the PP, a captain and has 2 stanley cup rings already on his resume.. I'd say that contract was a steal, especially with what is being handed out on the FA market. Hell, don't be surprised when you see what Sharp gets next off-season.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 09:57 PM)
Only 25, nearly had 60 points last year, defensive stud who is a terrific PK guy and can play on the PP, a captain and has 2 stanley cup rings already on his resume.. I'd say that contract was a steal, especially with what is being handed out on the FA market. Hell, don't be surprised when you see what Sharp gets next off-season.

Sharp is signing an extension this off-season, case closed.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 11:55 PM)
Sharp is signing an extension this off-season, case closed.

In either case, he will be getting paid.. and paid alot (rightfully so, he's a great player) which was my point as well as the UFA money handed out. Ladd's contract is a good one for what he brings.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 6, 2011 -> 12:49 AM)
In either case, he will be getting paid.. and paid alot (rightfully so, he's a great player) which was my point as well as the UFA money handed out. Ladd's contract is a good one for what he brings.

Sharp is a good player, not a great player. His bloated stats the last two seasons have largely been boosted by the elite talent he's played beside, which makes this an interesting case.

The market dictated it. Ladd is an ideal second line winger for any team that wants to compete.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 04:33 PM)
Andrew Ladd got a 5-year, $22 million dollar contract extension ($4.4 million cap hit). That's A LOT of money for him. I really like him as a second-line player with solid defensive skills, but looks like a bit of an overpay. But he is young still, so he could continue to improve.

Regardless, good for him. I really liked him as a player.

I like the deal, seems like fair market value to me. He seems to be a great character guy and I think it is great he will be here long term.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 6, 2011 -> 09:52 AM)
Brouwer gets $2.35 mil a year for 2 yrs from the Caps. Sounds about the same as what the Hawks would have had to give him. I think it's a good contract for a player like him, but Hawks needs the money for depth.

$2.35 million is way too much for Troy Brouwer. His hits weren't exactly game changing, and he went invisible for many different stretches of 6-10 games.

I just can't believe that Andrew Ladd is only 25. Wow, seems like Ladder has been in the league for a pretty long time. Would have guessed he was closer to 30.

Blackhawks Prospect Camps is apparently going really well. Reports have it that the McNeill/Hayes/Hayes line is dominating, which is promising. Stan Bowman even said McNeill is working his ass off to make the team in October.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 7, 2011 -> 02:38 PM)
Blackhawks Prospect Camps is apparently going really well. Reports have it that the McNeill/Hayes/Hayes line is dominating, which is promising. Stan Bowman even said McNeill is working his ass off to make the team in October.

Is there room for prospects now?

Not really Southsider, unless someone goes down with an injury. Dylan Olsen, D, might be one of the first callups for that, as well as Shawn Lalonde or Ryan Stanton. On the forwards, you're looking at Ben Smith, Marcus Kruger, possibly Jimmy Hayes if he continues to WOW at prospect/training camp. Mark McNeill...I don't think he'll make the Hawks due to what they have already, but who knows? He may or may not give Kruger a run for his money at one of the C spots.

I could see McNeil up this year and sticking with the team. His game compares to Brouwer's.

I don't see why Smith won't start the year with the team. He showed at the end of the year and into the playoffs that he can play at the NHL level.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 10, 2011 -> 07:53 PM)
He's still overpaid. I have no idea why they brought him back.

I know why they brought him back. They traded a locker room favorite (Versteeg) to get him, and he's relatively young. He's fast as hell, but he just can't score like he should be able to with his speed and talent.

Still, he's overpaid. He makes for nice trade bait if he's playing halfway decent because of his potential and youth.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 10, 2011 -> 08:04 PM)
I know why they brought him back. They traded a locker room favorite (Versteeg) to get him, and he's relatively young. He's fast as hell, but he just can't score like he should be able to with his speed and talent.

Well that and they got absolutely hosed in that trade. Paradis looks like the only worthwhile player that'll fit in our future as a bottom 6 player. And he can't score because he has stone hands. Still though, he creates chances cause of his speed which helps alot. He might fare better having some "protection" with guys like Mayers and Carcillo backing him up though. I just hope this doesn't screw guys like Smith, Kruger or possibly Morin for potential spots.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 10, 2011 -> 08:28 PM)
Well that and they got absolutely hosed in that trade.

Yeah, clearly Versteeg is sticking everywhere he lands!

In all seriousness, come on yo, it was clearly a salary dump so getting "hosed" really doesn't count.