2011-2012 NHL Thread

The charter plane for KHL's Lokomotiv team crashed en route to the opening game. 36 people dead, only one crew member survived. I think there may have been some ex-NHL players on the roster. I see Pavol Demitra listed on the Wikipedia roster, but don't know who exactly was on the plane.

With the amount of air travel teams do nowadays, it was something that was gonna eventually happen again. Although way more likely in Russia with the poor quality of some of their aircraft.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yahoo link

Among the NHL alumni on Lokomotiv's roster as of July 9: Josef Vasicek, Pavol Demitra(notes), Karel Rachunek, Ruslan Salei(notes), Karlis Skrastins(notes) and Red Wings goalie prospect Stefan Liv.

Former Detroit Red Wings and Philadelphia Flyers defenseman Brad McCrimmon was listed as their head coach.

We'll bring you more information when it becomes available on this terrible day for hockey.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2011/09/0...by-plane-crash/

It has been a bad summer for the hockey world , but this is the worst yet.

This morning comes the awful news that a charter plane carrying the KHL club Lokomotiv has crashed on takeoff in Yaroslavl, Russia, killing almost all of its 37 passengers. Conflicting reports have one or three survivors, who not surprisingly are reported in serious condition.

There has now been confirmation as to who exactly was on board (see Peter Adler’s update below).

On Twitter, Alex Ovechkin wrote, “I’m in shock!!!!!R.I.P ….”

According to reporter Dmitry Chesnokov (@dchesnokov on Twitter), “Lokomotiv official said the entire team was on the plane because they were traveling for the 1st game of the season, a celebration.”

We will update news of this terrible tragedy as we learn more throughout the day.

UPDATE: Latest reports have 45 people on board the Yak-42 plane including eight crew, with 43 now reported dead. Multiple reports identify player Alexander Galimov as a survivor, but in critical condition. CBC News briefly but erroneously identified Canadian player Riley Armstrong (brother of Colby) as having been on board, but the player has himself confirmed on Twitter that he is in Canada, alive and well if badly shaken. While reporting of such details is chaotic at best and irresponsible at worst, the overarching story is clear enough. A tragic day.

UPDATE from Peter Adler: Herewith the list of those who were aboard the Yak-42 plane that crashed Wednesday, killing the entire Lokomotiv Yaroslavl team of the KHL … Igor Kuperman just told me he just yesterday wished his best friend Igor Korolev a happy birthday …

Coaches: Brad McCrimmon, Igor Korolev, Alexander Karpovtsev, Nikolai Krivonoson.

Goalies: Stefan Liv, Alexander Vyukhin.

Defence: Pavel Tarkhanov, Karel Rachůnek, Robert Ditrich, Ruslan Salei, Karlis Skrastins, Michail Baladnin, Vitalij Anikeyenko, Marat Kalimulin, Jurij Urichev.

Forwards: Alexander Galimov, Daniil Sobchenko, Jan Marek, Ivan Tkachenko, Alexander Vasiunov, Gennady Churilov, Nikita Klyukin, Alexander Kalyanin, Sergei Ostapchuk, Pavol Demitra, Josef Vašíček, Artyom Jarchuk, Alexander Romanovskyi, Andrej Kiryukhin.

Crew: Andrei Solomentsev (captain), Igor Zhevelov (first officer), Sergei Zhuravlev, Elena Formatova, Nadezhda Maksomova, ? Muzacharov, ? Salin, ? Mayushkin, Alexander Sizov.

UPDATED: Jorma Valtonen not on flight, according to Finnish sources.

Wow, I didn't realize there were some ex-Blackhawks. (I try to forget hockey from earlier this decade)

This type of Russian plane has had numerous incidents in the past. It sounds like they were about to start weeding them out completely. It's awful that it took em too long and a tragedy like this had to happen.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 03:33 PM)
Wow, I didn't realize there were some ex-Blackhawks. (I try to forget hockey from earlier this decade)

Ya Karpovtsev was an interesting case with Foley..

Just tragic news. Demitra I definitely remember from his Canuck days. (saw he played alot of years with the Blues)

R.I.P. to everyone.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 12:12 PM)
Hawks acquired Jonathan Toews younger brother, David, from the Islanders in exchange for a player to be named later.

He put up solid numbers in his first year of minor league hockey. I wonder if he is any good?

http://www.csnchicago.com/09/09/11/Blachaw...94052369959-915

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 12:30 PM)
He put up solid numbers in his first year of minor league hockey. I wonder if he is any good?

Those numbers he put up, he was an overager at the WHL (and still wasn't even a PPG player). I think a couple scouts put it best when he was drafted that his older brother took all the good hockey genes and left him the rest. Pure PR move IMO. I'll say this though, if he even turns out half as good as his brother....

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 06:33 AM)
Does the phrase "emergency appendectomy" scare people a lot more over the last 5 months or so than it ever did before?

My god.. and we just signed him to an extension. I guess the saving grace is it is a different sport. I also find it odd his is gonna take 3-4 weeks whereas Dunns took what... a few days?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 06:33 AM)
Does the phrase "emergency appendectomy" scare people a lot more over the last 5 months or so than it ever did before?

f*** yeah. I hope they don't insert the "bad at everything" gene during Sharp's surgery like they did during Dunn's.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 06:39 AM)
My god.. and we just signed him to an extension. I guess the saving grace is it is a different sport. I also find it odd his is gonna take 3-4 weeks whereas Dunns took what... a few days?

I would have to think the physicality & endurance needed for hockey as opposed to baseball plays a large part in that. Plus, it's training camp. If this was late in the regular season or the playoffs, Sharpie would be out there in a few days max.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 06:39 AM)

The recovery is directly related to how early they catch it.