2011-2012 NHL Thread

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.csnchicago.com/10/03/11/Emery-w...tm_medium=email

Ray Emery won the Blackhawks' backup goalie job while Alexander Salak was sent down to Rockford. (US Presswire)

Monday, Oct. 3, 2011

Posted: 3:32 p.m.

By Chris Boden

CSNChicago.com

The Blackhawks ended their backup goalie suspense by signing veteran Ray Emery to a one-year, $600,000, one-way contract Monday.

Emery has seven seasons of NHL experience, including leading Ottawa to the Stanley Cup Finals in 2007, but was outplayed statistically by Alexander Salak in training camp. Salak, though, has just two games of NHL experience, and was sent to Rockford of the AHL.

Emery returned from career-threatening hip surgery to play in 10 regular season games (7-2-1) and the playoffs for the Anaheim Ducks last season, before becoming a free agent this past summer. He signed a tryout contract with the Blackhawks.

“We’re in the fortunate position to have to make a difficult decision on two netminders that impressed throughout our entire training camp,” said Vice President/General Manager Stan Bowman. “Having both Ray Emery and Alexander Salak as a part of the Chicago Blackhawks organization makes us stronger in both the short-term and long-term.”

The Blackhawks roster now stands at 26, following Monday's earlier demotions of Marcus Kruger, Brandon Pirri, Jimmy Hayes, Dylan Olsen, and Peter LeBlanc. Three additional roster moves must be made by 2 p.m. Wednesday to reach the regular season limit ahead of Friday's opener in Dallas.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 07:45 AM)
espnchijon jon greenberg

Blackhawks just extended Stan Bowman's contract through 2016 season. Is this a real contract or an NHL one?

I think Stan deserves the extension for the cap dance he did with all the albatross contracts.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 08:34 AM)
I think Stan deserves the extension for the cap dance he did with all the albatross contracts.

It is a pretty amazing thing when you think of it. I know they didn't win it last year, but they were still super competitive after dumping a lot of very good players.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 08:41 AM)
It is a pretty amazing thing when you think of it. I know they didn't win it last year, but they were still super competitive after dumping a lot of very good players.

I think the fight back from down 0-3 last year to take the 'Nucks to 7 games has clouded your memory. The Hawks were 1 point from being the first team in NHL history to win the Stanley Cup and then miss the playoffs. They even choked a near-must win on the final day of the season but backed in anyway.

I'm ready for a new season, and hopefully, a healthy Hossa!

Hawks agree to a contract with 2nd round pick Brandon Saad, 18, so he will probably start the season with the big club.. He is too young to play for Rockford. He can play up to 9 games with the Hawks and still be sent back to his junior team, if he plays more than that, he is on the roster for the whole season.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 02:22 PM)
Hawks agree to a contract with 2nd round pick Brandon Saad, 18, so he will probably start the season with the big club.. He is too young to play for Rockford. He can play up to 9 games with the Hawks and still be sent back to his junior team, if he plays more than that, he is on the roster for the whole season.

Is it Friday, yet?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 03:53 PM)
Early line predictions from Jesse Rogers (ESPN Chicago) & from practice today:

Sharp/Toews/Saad

Brunette/Kane/Hossa

Bickell/Bolland/Frolik

Mayers/Smith/Olesz

Keith/Leddy

Hammer/Seabrook

Montador/Scott

ODonnell/Lepisto

Nothing like going from the 2nd round of the draft directly to a line with Patrick Sharp and Jonathan Toews on the NHL's most-popular franchise.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 05:35 PM)
That Kane line is going to be deadly. Bank on it.

It actually is going to work out well, because Hossa inherently does most of what a center should do in his own zone. The pairing of both of them on a line might be absolutely brilliant.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 04:11 PM)
Nothing like going from the 2nd round of the draft directly to a line with Patrick Sharp and Jonathan Toews on the NHL's most-popular franchise.

There are worse ways to make a living, for sure.

I'm so f'in' ready for Friday night! DROP THE PUCK!!!!

:headbang

Sharp/Toews/Saad

Brunette/Kane/Hossa

Bickell/Bolland/Frolik

Mayers/Smith/Olesz

Keith/Leddy

Hammer/Seabrook

Montador/Scott

ODonnell/Lepisto

It is nice to see the Hawks with some depth again. God I can't wait for hockey.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 09:12 PM)
It is nice to see the Hawks with some depth again. God I can't wait for hockey.

I'm pretty unsure that Bickell on your 3rd line = depth. I expect Olesz up there swiftly, but this certainly is not the 2010 team yet. I love the D, though. Montador is a monster.

Sharp/Toews/Saad

Brunette/Kane/Hossa

Bickell/Bolland/Frolik

Mayers/Smith/Olesz

Keith/Leddy

Hammer/Seabrook

Montador/Scott

ODonnell/Lepisto

Dear god have mercy on us all...

http://www.csnchicago.com/10/04/11/Sharp-s...tm_medium=email

Patrick Sharp will play in the season opener and there's a chance Dave Bolland and Ben Smith could also play when the Chicago Blackhawks take on the Dallas Stars on Friday night.

Sharp participated in his first full practice on Tuesday -- he was part of morning skate last Friday -- and coach Joel Quenneville deemed him "ready to go" for the season opener. And as Quenneville said last week, Sharp will start the season at wing; he was with Brandon Saad and Jonathan Toews on Tuesday.

Bolland (upper body) did not practice on Tuesday but Quenneville was hopeful that the center would be back for Wednesday's practice.

Smith's return, meanwhile, was very encouraging after he was knocked out last week against the Detroit Red Wings. He was not cleared for contact on Tuesday but that could come soon.

"He looked good, he's skating well and he's progressed the past few days," Quenneville said. "He could have a chance to take contact as well next day or two."

Smith said he did get a text from Brendan Smith regarding the hit and he appreciated that.

"It's just one of those things; it's a rough game and some things happen," said Ben Smith, whose latest concussion is not his first. "These things are dangerous and it's really day by day. (Recovery) could take six or seven months, it could take a couple weeks. I'll just try to do the right things and get healthy and hope that works."

Meanwhile, general manager Stan Bowman said Viktor Stalberg (left knee) will start the season on the injured reserve list. Stalberg was injured last Wednesday and should be back within the next three weeks.

Tracey Myers is CSNChicago.com's Blackhawks Insider. Follow Tracey on Twitter @TramyersCSN for up-to-the-minute Hawks information.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 5, 2011 -> 10:59 AM)
Hawks 4th in pre-season power rankings

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/nhl-power-rankings/

...as defined by CBS CHICAGO.

Here's a less-biased power ranking from TSN.

I bet you think you know where I'm going with this... but you don't! Surprise! TSN has the Hawks ranked SECOND!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 5, 2011 -> 11:14 AM)
...as defined by CBS CHICAGO.

Here's a less-biased power ranking from TSN.

I bet you think you know where I'm going with this... but you don't! Surprise! TSN has the Hawks ranked SECOND!

SI had us #1 in the West but also out in the first round because they thought Crawford would tank.

What a surprise.. injury prone Dave Bolland questionable for the first game of the season (and possibly Saturday) according to Q.

Oh, and Barry Melrose picks the Hawks to win the cup this year. (he was the one who picked us to win it in 09-10)

Edited by SoxAce