2011-2012 NHL Thread

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 10:28 AM)
I'm largely hockey ignorant... how is hockey going in Tampa and Miami? I know Phoenix is possibly a dead team walking (I believe there was a movement to move them BACK to Winnipeg before the Thrashers jumped in). I could see them moving int he next few years too.

I'm not sure how the teams are doing financially. I know that the attendance in Miami isn't the best, but that team also hasn't made the playoffs in 10 years. Tampa Bay won the Cup 7 years ago and nearly made it this year, so that has helped, but overall I think they are in a similar attendance situation.

Pro sports never seem to thrive in Florida, college football & NASCAR are king.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 04:08 PM)
Steve9347 Steve Harnden

@dan_bernstein Feeling speculative today? You have too many listeners to move forward with baseless Kaner accusations, bro.

Yes, I feel better.

Steve, you may be my favorite poster on here. Between your brutal honesty and bold predictions, and your impeccable quotes from a variety of my favorite shows (Arrested Dev, It's Always Sunny, etc).

My ideal roster for 2011-2012:

Kane-Toews-Smith

Gagne-Sharp-Hossa

Bickell-Bolland-Frolik

Olesz-Kruger-Eager

Keith-Seabrook

Hammer-Pitkanen

Leddy-Sopel

Crawford

Salak

Addded:

Simon Gagne (will shift Sharp to center)

Ben Eager

Joni Pitkanen

Brent Sopel

With $14 million in cap, you get a high-priced free agent in Pitkanen ($5 million ish), a decently priced veteran in Gagne ($3-4 million; coming off down year and has made plenty already) and two cheap depth guys in Eager/Sopel ($4 million combined).

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 04:08 PM)
Steve9347 Steve Harnden

@dan_bernstein Feeling speculative today? You have too many listeners to move forward with baseless Kaner accusations, bro.

Yes, I feel better.

And now I am gonna follow you on Twitter. haha

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 04:19 PM)
Steve, you may be my favorite poster on here. Between your brutal honesty and bold predictions, and your impeccable quotes from a variety of my favorite shows (Arrested Dev, It's Always Sunny, etc).

ILLUSIONS!

Kopecky's rights were dealt to Florida for a 7th round pick. This is pretty much a no story, because it doesn't help or hurt the cap, and he was going to walk as a UFA. At least they got something for nothing.

Winnipeg and Florida = 2010 Blackhawks :lol:

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 04:50 PM)
Kopecky's rights were dealt to Florida for a 7th round pick. This is pretty much a no story, because it doesn't help or hurt the cap, and he was going to walk as a UFA. At least they got something for nothing.

Winnipeg and Florida = 2010 Blackhawks :lol:

That works for me. I was not a fan of Kopecky's one bit, honestly.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 04:20 PM)
My ideal roster for 2011-2012:

Kane-Toews-Smith

Gagne-Sharp-Hossa

Bickell-Bolland-Frolik

Olesz-Kruger-Eager

Keith-Seabrook

Hammer-Pitkanen

Leddy-Sopel

Crawford

Salak

Addded:

Simon Gagne (will shift Sharp to center)

Ben Eager

Joni Pitkanen

Brent Sopel

With $14 million in cap, you get a high-priced free agent in Pitkanen ($5 million ish), a decently priced veteran in Gagne ($3-4 million; coming off down year and has made plenty already) and two cheap depth guys in Eager/Sopel ($4 million combined).

I'm totally down with this, except I don't think you have to spend a combined 4 mil on Eager and Sopel. If you can spare 1.5 mil or so somewhere, a 4th line center like Madden or Belanger or even Konopka for some more toughness would be nice so Kruger can stick on the wing. I've b een reading a lot that Gagne could come a lot cheaper than people think. If that's the case, why not see if you can snag Cole?

QUOTE (Jim Spencer @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 05:08 PM)
More $$ to spend now :headbang

No more money. He was already an UFA. Just means we get something for a guy who was leaving anyway.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 03:06 PM)
Hmm, Bernstein continuing with his baseless Kaner rumors today. I guess "in Buffalo working on his game" isn't good enough.

Bernsie is being pretty irresponsible. DIRECT TWEET COMING.

Even as somebody who thinks there is something to the Kaner rumors (come in, do you REALLY think he's just being borderline dead silent by choice this offseason?), you can't go on the air on a major radio show in Chicago with rumors. Get some facts, or don't mention it. And I should also point out that my love/hate relationship with B&B is more often on the love side.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 12:22 AM)
Ok, so if Kopecky does not sign w/ Florida, do we still get their 7th RD pick, and then could we conceivably re-sign him? That would be a punch in the nuts for the Panthers. Haha.

We get a pick no matter what. The 2012 pick is conditional through Nashville. If it's not available come draft time, then the 2013 7th goes to the Hawks.

"The Blackhawks will get Florida’s seventh-round pick in the 2012 draft (which is presently conditional to the Nashville Predators). If that pick is not available, Florida will transfer its seventh-round selection in the 2013 draft."

Also, Hawks extend qualifying offers to Frolik, Campoli and Stalberg but not to Jake Dowell.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 07:53 AM)
According to this article, Kopecky signed a 4 year deal with Florida. Tallon still has alot of work to do to get to the cap floor.

http://translate.google.cz/translate?js=n&...cnej_zmluve.htm

Good luck to Kopecky. I always thought he was a solid contributor and seemed to play well with countrymate Hossa.

I love the translation errors:

Florida is a very nice place, there is still heat Family is an ideal, "said Tomas Kopecky.

"In Chicago I had a beautiful two years, I used to have there. He leaves to me difficult, since Chicago is a Marian Hossa, of which we understand perfectly. Life is so hockey. I that in Florida endure four years, "said Tomas Kopecky.

So it sounds like the Rangers are putting all their eggs in the Brad Richards basket. That actually seems like a good fit.

I also read that they want to trade, rofl, Wade Redden, rofl. Yeah, good luck with that guys.