2011-2012 NHL Thread

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 09:40 AM)
Yes, now onto reality, since this is likely to happen. He's exactly what we've missed since jettisoning Brent Sopel, but Montador is actually a better player.

He's also a couple years younger.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 09:13 AM)
Well we have some good talent down there. It's just always the question of are they ready.

Morin, Lalonde and Beach should be getting close.

I thought Morin was ready this year.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 09:46 AM)
@ESPNChiHawks Jesse Rogers

bowman confirmed they went after montador at deadline..right handed d man was important..coming into his own says stan...maybe signed by fri

Take it easy Stan, the dude's 31, he's not going to get a whole hell of a lot better.

However, he's exactly what we need. He's dependable, and has been a + since 2005 and has been really solid the last 3 seasons. Hopefully he's affordable, though.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 10:13 AM)
I thought Morin was ready this year.

Morin played a little for the Hawks last year. As long as he is healthy he will have a good chance to make the team.

Beach would be a real nice 4th liner and maybe better, but he needs to get his head out of his ass first.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 10:38 AM)
Morin played a little for the Hawks last year. As long as he is healthy he will have a good chance to make the team.

Beach would be a real nice 4th liner and maybe better, but he needs to get his head out of his ass first.

Only needs to take it out part way. That helps make him the agitator he is. Take his head out enough to be a good teammate, but not far enough to lose his edge.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 10:55 AM)
Only needs to take it out part way. That helps make him the agitator he is. Take his head out enough to be a good teammate, but not far enough to lose his edge.

Yeah he has to be able to walk that fine line. Right now he's not, but he's still only 21.

It's strange to talk about Eklund. In the past, I've never liked him. In fact, there was a time when I completely stopped following on him on twitter, because every other tweet said this: "big rumor [insert weird verb here, such as brewing] between [random horrible team] and [championship contender team," and that obviously got pretty old.

However, he was first on the Byfuglien/Ladd/Sopel/Eager trade to ATL last year, and was first this year on the Wisniewski to CBJ trade.

All in all, I don't listen to his rumors. Instead, when he says E5, then I listen, because then it has happened for sure.

For the record, I might rather have Parise. Of course course Stamkos is the better player and he's younger. But, Stamkos, rumors have it, is looking for about $8.5m per year, while Parise would probably only get $6.5-7.5 per.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 10:38 AM)

I remember being on the 'Hawks official message board on the draft night when they took Beach, and the other members were laughing at me because I wanted Tyler Meyers over Kyle Beacher.

:lol:

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 11:06 AM)
For the record, I might rather have Parise. Of course course Stamkos is the better player and he's younger. But, Stamkos, rumors have it, is looking for about $8.5m per year, while Parise would probably only get $6.5-7.5 per.

FWIW, there is always risk in getting a guy coming off the type of injury Parise had... though a torn meniscus shouldn't be career-altering by any means, but in the end I'd rather be out the 2 or 1 mill per year in cap space and get the much more talented player anyway.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 12:44 PM)
FWIW, there is always risk in getting a guy coming off the type of injury Parise had... though a torn meniscus shouldn't be career-altering by any means, but in the end I'd rather be out the 2 or 1 mill per year in cap space and get the much more talented player anyway.

Yeah, essentially you sacrifice a guy on the 4th line to get Stamkos. I am good with that.

I wouldn't call that Montador contract "sweet." That's a lot of money of money for a guy like him. It's too bad Hjalmarsson is making that and then a million because they're esentially the same player, except Montador is more of an offensived-man than Hjammar.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 02:48 PM)
I wouldn't call that Montador contract "sweet." That's a lot of money of money for a guy like him. It's too bad Hjalmarsson is making that and then a million because they're esentially the same player, except Montador is more of an offensived-man than Hjammar.

Yeah, that's rough, but he's what we needed.

2.75 is probably too much for Montador, but the market is well in the player's favor right now. Guys like Ehrhoff are going to make a killing. Most important is that it's a tradeable contract.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 04:27 PM)
Oh Lord, Juan Pierre will now get a lifetime contract.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 04:27 PM)
Dunn would rather self-mutilate than swing. Exactly what we need in a 3 hitter.

I think you're in the wrong thread.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 04:28 PM)
I think you're in the wrong thread.

I deleted them before your reply, silly.

Two threads open... game thread at all time and thread for reading. Grabbed wrong one.

The 'Hawks never had a shot at Stamkos. He will stay with Tampa. Anyone want to wager?

FWIW, Bob McKenzie is reporting that the Ehrhoff deal in Buffalo is for $40 million over 10 years. That's a decent AAV for Buffalo, but 10 years is a lot for Ehrhoff, who's 27 years old already.

Also, I have a little rant. The Trib talked to Brouwer yesterday, and he was b****ing about how Q always switches up the lines. He went on to say that a lot of the guys are sick of Bowman getting rid of the 2010 team. Hey Troy, somehow Bowman got a 1st round pick for you. Last season, you went invisible for stretches of 7-10 games. Q had to switch up the lines, because whatever line you were on, you weren't doing s*** to help the team get wins. Your ex-teammates should be praising Bowman for getting even a 3rd round pick in return for you, yet alone a 1st. BTW, you should be worried about how now you're on a team with 2 Russians who disappear every late April and May.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

Per Rotoworld

According to Sportsnet.ca, Steve Montador has signed a four-year, $11 million contract with the Chicago Blackhawks.

Chicago acquired his negotiation rights from Buffalo on Wednesday night for a seventh-round pick in either the 2012 or 2013. Montador had 26 points, 83 penalty minutes and a plus-16 rating in 73 games with the Sabres last season. His addition should help fill the void that was created when the Hawks shipped Brian Campbell to the Florida Panthers at the 2011 draft. Montador was slated to become an unrestricted free agent Friday afternoon if he didn't come to terms with Chicago