2011-2012 NHL Thread

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 11:26 AM)
When he is making 400K less than Jonathan Toews that seems strange to me. I love Sharpy, but that is more than I would have committed to him. Slightly over $5 million seems more reasonable.

Those were all signed in late 2009 though. Just in the 20 months or so since then, the salary cap has gone from 56.8 to 64.3. By the time Sharp's contract kicks in next season, it'll probably be a couple/few million higher than it is now. Realistically, Kane and Toews would be around the low to mid 7 million range if signing extensions now.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 03:20 PM)
Contract looks fine to me. The cap seems to be on the rise over the next few years, and Sharp has been a consistent contributor over the last several seasons. He also appears to be one of the better guys in the room, which always plays into a contract, and rightfully so.

He's a 1st line forward on nearly every team, and is now paid as such.

I like the signing no excuses for Hawks this years.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 03:20 PM)
Contract looks fine to me. The cap seems to be on the rise over the next few years, and Sharp has been a consistent contributor over the last several seasons. He also appears to be one of the better guys in the room, which always plays into a contract, and rightfully so.

He's a 1st line forward on nearly every team, and is now paid as such.

This is how I feel about the signing.

He's a f***ing clown, no getting around that. I don't mind if he gets into s***, he just has to take someone with him. Putting the Hawks on the PK constantly is unacceptable and will find him in the press box soon anyway. That's really the only thing I'm concerned about.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 9, 2011 -> 07:36 PM)
I don't think DC will be in the lineup a ton anyway. Hopefully a few of the kids come to play at camp, and he is a fringe player for this squad.

On the flip slide, even with his side show antics, the 10-11 Blackhawks had to be one of the least likeable post-Championships teams of all time. While they didn't have much of a physical presences during the Cup run, the lack of sack they showed last season during big games was incredible. Watching guys consistently get run over with no response become incredibly tiresome.

While Carcillo won't completely solve that, it will certainly help.

It makes me wonder how much they talked to Q about who they signed this year.

Carcillo is a jackass on the ice, but the team kind of needed that last year. He seems like he could be a good clubhouse guy too. I doubt he plays in more than 50 games, and like Krush said, as long as his penalties don't put the Hawks a man down for long periods of time, I think his presence could help. Doesn't mean I have to like him though. Gonna see the Hawks play in Anaheim the day after Thanksgiving, pumped for that.

imager.php?id=637274&t=o

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 08:21 AM)
Yet another NHL player/enforcer passed away.

Former Canuck Rick Rypien.. R.I.P. (rumor is he committed suicide from depression) Sad he will probably be remembered for this other than his fighting.

He missed most of last season for personal reasons, but swore it wasn't drug related. Sounds like depression could be a major factor, he just signed with Winnipeg too.

http://www.csnchicago.com/08/18/11/Hawks-t...amp;feedID=7139

The Chicago Blackhawks will be on NBC or Versus 12 times this season as the NHL released its national television schedule on Thursday afternoon.

The 12 exclusive national telecasts is the maximum allowed for a single NHL club. The Blackhawks’ Feb. 21 game against the Red Wings will be broadcast on CSN Chicago as well as Versus, giving the Blackhawks 13 total national TV appearances.

The Blackhawks' first NBC game comes Jan. 14 when they visit Detroit. Seven of the Blackhawks’ 13 national TV games are on Versus; the first is Dec. 5 when they host the Phoenix Coyotes.

Here are the Blackhawks’ nationally televised contests (times in CST):

Dec. 5 vs. Phoenix Coyotes, 7 p.m. (VERSUS)

Dec. 14 at Minnesota Wild 6:30 p.m. (VERSUS)

Dec. 20 at Pittsburgh Penguins, 6:30 p.m. (VERSUS)

Jan. 8 vs. Detroit Red Wings, 6:30 p.m. (VERSUS)

Jan. 14 at Detroit Red Wings, 11:30 a.m. (NBC)

Jan. 18 vs. Buffalo Sabres, 6:30 p.m. (VERSUS)

Feb. 19 vs. St. Louis Blues, 2 p.m. (NBC)

Feb. 21 vs. Detroit Red Wings, 7 p.m. (VERSUS)**

Feb. 26 at Anaheim Ducks, 6 p.m. (VERSUS)

March 11 vs. Los Angeles Kings, 6 p.m. (VERSUS/NBC)*

March 18 vs. Washington Capitals, 6 p.m. (VERSUS/NBC)*

March 25 vs. Nashville Predators, 6:30 p.m. (VERSUS/NBC)*

April 7 at Detroit Red Wings, 3 p.m. (VERSUS/NBC)*

*Flex game exclusive to VERSUS or NBC

**Game not exclusive to VERSUS, will also be on CSNChicago

With the TV schedule, the Blackhawks have changed start times to six games. Here are the games and the new times:

Dec. 5 vs Phoenix Coyotes, 7 p.m.

Dec. 14 at Minnesota Wild, 6:30 p.m.

Dec. 20 at Pittsburgh Penguins, 6:30p.m.

Feb. 21 vs. Detroit Red Wings, 7 p.m.

Feb. 25 at Los Angeles Kings, 7 p.m.

March 2 at Ottawa Senators, 6 p.m.

Tracey Myers is CSNChicago.com's Blackhawks Insider. Follow Tracey on Twitter @TramyersCSN for up-to-the-minute Hawks information.

It appears Chicago Blackhawks winger Patrick Kane's recovery following surgery on his wrist could take longer than first anticipated.

Kane had surgery to repair a scaphoid fracture in his left wrist July 19, with a stated recovery time of six to eight weeks. General manager Stan Bowman said recently Kane was on track to be ready for the start of training camp in mid-September, but the winger seemed to indicate otherwise Tuesday when he told a Toronto radio station that he's targeting the team's regular-season opener Oct. 7 against the Dallas Stars for a return.

"I went to get it checked out (Monday) and everything seems to be checking in right now," Kane told The Fan 590 in Toronto. "(It was) good news (Monday): I should be ready for the start of the season."

Kane told The Fan 590 that he's not yet ready to take the ice and skate to prepare like he usually does during the offseason.

"I still have a little cast on so it’s probably a little bit longer," said Kane, who had 27 goals and 46 assists in 73 games last season. "I’m not really going to rush anything, we still have a lot of time. My goal is to be ready for the opening regular-season game. Obviously, you’d like to be back in training camp but more importantly the date is Oct. 7 for our first regular season game. That’s kind of the date I’m working for. There’s really no rush because things are going pretty well right now.

"With the wrist injury all I’ve really been able to do is kind of skate by myself," Kane continued. "Not really with full equipment on, just kind of been skating with one hand out there. You still have to skate. That’s kind of part of our job in the summer is to get ourselves ready anyway we can. That’s what I’m doing right now. Usually at this time of year I’d probably be skating with some of the (Buffalo) Sabres, whether it’s just playing shinny or regular four-on-four games, which are always pretty fun to kind of help you get ready for the season. That’s what I'd usually be doing but this summer has been a little bit different."

Link

What is it with Minnesota and morons on boats?

http://www.startribune.com/local/128883138.html

NHL star and Minnesota native Dustin Byfuglien was arrested overnight in Hennepin County and booked on suspicion of boating while intoxicated, authorities said Thursday.

According to jail records, the 26-year-old Byfuglien was brought into the jail at about 11:10 p.m. and released a little more than three hours later pending formal charges.

Details about what led to his arrest by the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office were not immediately available.

A call to Byflugien's cell phone went unanswered, and a message could not be left. His agent, Ben Hankinson, declined to comment about his client's arrest.

Byfuglien, who was born in Minneapolis and raised in Roseau, starred for the Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks during the 2009-10 season, scoring 11 goals in 22 playoff games.

He now plays for the Winnipeg Jets. The team will play its first season in the Canadian city starting in October after moving from Atlanta.

Byfuglien lives on a lake in the Twin Cities in the off-season and has been skating in a camp locally in preparation for the coming season.

Paul Walsh • 612-673-4482

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 1, 2011 -> 10:43 AM)
What is it with Minnesota and morons on boats?

http://www.startribune.com/local/128883138.html

I found this more interesting.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/ho...-128881848.html

When he was booked, Byfuglien was weighed and he came in at 286 pounds. He played at approximately 245 pounds last year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 2, 2011 -> 10:18 AM)
40 lbs off? And how the heck do you know that???

I've spent some nights in county. Most recently Paw Paw.

Oh and it was for the same thing that Buff was booked for. 1 mph on a pontoon boat on a lake. Final determination was an OWI with 3 months suspension of my boating license. I dont expect him to get any worse.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 03:15 PM)
Speaking of the Hawks, I have finally gotten around to recording my DVR of Game 6 onto DVD, and the final call has to be one of the worst in the history of walk off plays. It is even more disappointing as time goes on.

And there's nothing they could have done about it