2011-2012 NHL Thread

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 03:09 AM)
What do you think of the Hawks' goalie situation?

How did Crawford play in the preseason?

Is he an elite goalie or not?

Do we still have a veteran backup? Where did last year's No. 2 go?

Greg,

Marty Turco was last year's #1 to start the season and quickly usurped by Corey Crawford. He now works for NHL Network! I never had much faith in Crawford, but he won me over with steady play. Goaltending remains a question mark simply because no one anywhere expected Crawford to be this productive between the pipes, but the Blackhawks look much better on that front than they have since the days of Eddie Belfour.

Our backup, to start the season at least, is Ray Emery. Emery took over for Jonas Hiller who had vertigo issues last year in Anaheim, and was simply brilliant down the stretch (.928 save percentage), playing 10 games for the Ducks to finish out the year. The Hawks chose him over Salak simply because he had a 1-way contract, while Salak can use the seasoning and get every-day work in Rockford with the IceHogs without having to clear waivers.

Speaking of Salak, he's the organization's first legit goaltending prospect, and was acquired in possibly my favorite trade the Hawks have ever made... sending of Jack Skille and two dudes I don't care about and receiving Michael Frolik and Salak. Hopefully he's as good as advertised, and he sure looked awesome in the preseason.

#1 - Corey Crawford

#2 - Ray Emery

#3 - Alexander Salak

This is the most excited I've been about goaltending in Chicago in a very, very long time.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 10:50 AM)
Greg,

Marty Turco was last year's #1 to start the season and quickly usurped by Corey Crawford. He now works for NHL Network! I never had much faith in Crawford, but he won me over with steady play. Goaltending remains a question mark simply because no one anywhere expected Crawford to be this productive between the pipes, but the Blackhawks look much better on that front than they have since the days of Eddie Belfour.

Our backup, to start the season at least, is Ray Emery. Emery took over for Jonas Hiller who had vertigo issues last year in Anaheim, and was simply brilliant down the stretch (.928 save percentage), playing 10 games for the Ducks to finish out the year. The Hawks chose him over Salak simply because he had a 1-way contract, while Salak can use the seasoning and get every-day work in Rockford with the IceHogs without having to clear waivers.

Speaking of Salak, he's the organization's first legit goaltending prospect, and was acquired in possibly my favorite trade the Hawks have ever made... sending of Jack Skille and two dudes I don't care about and receiving Michael Frolik and Salak. Hopefully he's as good as advertised, and he sure looked awesome in the preseason.

#1 - Corey Crawford

#2 - Ray Emery

#3 - Alexander Salak

This is the most excited I've been about goaltending in Chicago in a very, very long time.

LOOOOOVE me some Frolik.

DEXTER!!!!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 08:41 PM)
Did you see that lead pass by Seguin? Kid's ready.

Seguin is quite the passer of the puck. He made a similar pass against Vancouver last year that set up a Michael Ryder goal in game 4 I believe.

Seguin had a very good game and it does looks like he is ready to take that next step. It also looks like Marchand is going to take another step forward this year. He got the only goal and had a few other very good chances to get another goal or two.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 09:50 AM)
Speaking of Salak, he's the organization's first legit goaltending prospect, and was acquired in possibly my favorite trade the Hawks have ever made... sending of Jack Skille and two dudes I don't care about and receiving Michael Frolik and Salak.

Matt Ellison says hi

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 03:50 PM)
Greg,

#1 - Corey Crawford

#2 - Ray Emery

#3 - Alexander Salak

Sweet.

Nice goalie explanation for me.

Mods - Please delete this post if there's a rule against spamming your own stuff on here.

Mike (aka RedPinStripes of Sox N Roll infamy) and I have started up a hockey talk podcast on iTunes.

It's called the West Side Hockey Podcast, and we'd like to invite everyone to listen to our uninformed opinions on the world of the Blackhawks and the NHL, among other topics.

Thanks!

:headbang

QUOTE (The Critic @ Oct 9, 2011 -> 03:48 PM)
Mods - Please delete this post if there's a rule against spamming your own stuff on here.

Mike (aka RedPinStripes of Sox N Roll infamy) and I have started up a hockey talk podcast on iTunes.

It's called the West Side Hockey Podcast, and we'd like to invite everyone to listen to our uninformed opinions on the world of the Blackhawks and the NHL, among other topics.

Thanks!

:headbang

Not at all. Spam away. You've earned the right.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 9, 2011 -> 06:51 PM)
It's amazing how much better the Hawks play when Bolland is in the lineup

He's such an important part of the roster. He's one of the best two-way forwards we've had, and he's great on the penalty kill. When Bolland is around, we have three awesome lines. When he's out, our third line goes to s***.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 11:19 AM)
He's such an important part of the roster. He's one of the best two-way forwards we've had, and he's great on the penalty kill. When Bolland is around, we have three awesome lines. When he's out, our third line goes to s***.

I'm not going to say Bolland is our best player, because he's obviously not. But, I do think he's the Blackhawks most important player. Like you said, it impacts the entire team when he's not in there. I personally think he will win the Selke Trophy this year (and if I'm wrong about this year, very soon after) if he can stay healthy.

QUOTE (supernuke @ Oct 11, 2011 -> 12:17 AM)
A win would have been nice. Here's hoping they play better on Thursday.

Here's not, since you guys play us at the UC. ;) (Ladd and Byfuglien's first game back to the UC since they were traded)

Edited by SoxAce

http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/blackhawks-...tm_medium=email

The Blackhawks have assigned forward Brandon Saad to the Saginaw Spirit of the Ontario Hockey League.

The 18-year-old Saad was a surprise out of the Blackhawks' training camp this fall. His play, coupled with a few forward injuries, earned him starts in the Blackhawks' first two regular-season games. Saad was the Blackhawks' second-round selection at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.