2011-2012 NHL Thread

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 28, 2012 -> 02:54 PM)
Gary Bettman has spewed a lot of bulls*** in his career, but his claim today that shootouts have a 70 to 80 percent approval rating among fans might top the list. I honestly can't think of a single hockey fan I know that likes them and I know quite a few.

I like them, for regular season games, that is.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 28, 2012 -> 10:46 PM)
Patrick Kane's superman gag was awesome.

I thought it was lame. And someone needs to tell him that if NBC wants to mic you up then converse with the commentators and stop saying "you'll have to wait and see". He had the personality of a dead moth out there.

I know hockey is pretty limited in what it can do for an events challenge but these festivities are pretty played out.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 29, 2012 -> 01:11 AM)
I thought it was lame. And someone needs to tell him that if NBC wants to mic you up then converse with the commentators and stop saying "you'll have to wait and see". He had the personality of a dead moth out there.

I know hockey is pretty limited in what it can do for an events challenge but these festivities are pretty played out.

I disagree w/ everything in this post.

I thought his Superman thing was hilarious and very cool. And him saying "wait and see" actually brought out a lot of excitement in my non-hockey friends who were watching. They were all saying "I wonder what it's going to be! I'm pumped now". And I think NHL now has the best All-star events. The draft is a very cool way to make teams, the skills competition is great and rivals the HR Derby for me, and all-star games across all sports are pretty lame, but at least it's not like the NFL's where no one does it.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 29, 2012 -> 02:58 AM)
I disagree w/ everything in this post.

I thought his Superman thing was hilarious and very cool. And him saying "wait and see" actually brought out a lot of excitement in my non-hockey friends who were watching. They were all saying "I wonder what it's going to be! I'm pumped now". And I think NHL now has the best All-star events. The draft is a very cool way to make teams, the skills competition is great and rivals the HR Derby for me, and all-star games across all sports are pretty lame, but at least it's not like the NFL's where no one does it.

Ya, the NHL is doing it really well. The NFL has by far the worst of the all star festivities. The NBA's ASG is normally extremely entertaining but the dunk contest has become an absolute joke and there is no fan interaction. MLB's voting is a joke, the game is "meaningful" for no reason, and the HR derby is very hit and miss. NHL has the draft, with great access to the players through social media, and the skills competitions are actually fun to watch.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 29, 2012 -> 02:23 AM)
Ya, the NHL is doing it really well. The NFL has by far the worst of the all star festivities. The NBA's ASG is normally extremely entertaining but the dunk contest has become an absolute joke and there is no fan interaction. MLB's voting is a joke, the game is "meaningful" for no reason, and the HR derby is very hit and miss. NHL has the draft, with great access to the players through social media, and the skills competitions are actually fun to watch.

The NHL skills competition blows away anything the rest of the sports do. It used to be the NBA dunk contest, until it turned into a night off for the guys you actually want to see. The HR derby can be there some years.

And I got a laugh out of the superman thing after I saw the angle from behind the goal and actually saw the shot.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 29, 2012 -> 12:11 AM)

Limited? It can and does more than any other sport by a wide margin. They've also changed up events over the years, so obviously you haven't been watching.

Also, the HR derby is beyond boring.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jan 28, 2012 -> 08:58 AM)
Don't mind the deal at all... Connelly wasn't going to be much for the Hawks and Morrison is a good leader but slow as hell!

He'll fit with the other slow, old guys Bowman is acquiring these days.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 28, 2012 -> 07:30 PM)
I like the shootout better than the tie. I do wish they would go to the 3-2-1 point system with OTW's being worth less than a regulation W.

I want fewer points awarded, not more.

I see it like this:

Regulation win = 2 points

OT or shootout win = 1 point

Loss = 0 points.

I don't believe a team should ever be awarded points for a loss.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 09:42 AM)

I see it like this:

Loss = 0 points.

I could get behind that too. I just hate that an OT win is worth as much as a Regulation one. It really makes the last 5 minutes or so of regulation worthless, as teams shut it down to get the guaranteed point.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 10:42 AM)

I see it like this:

Loss = 0 points.

I dont think a team should be penalized for losing a shootout. That would be like allowing baseball game to be decided by a HR derby after 10 innings of a tie game.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 08:26 PM)
The media trying to create stories instead of just reporting them.

Ya, that doesn't make any sense for Boston, no matter how much you think Thomas' political tirade created "division in the locker room", even despite his age.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 09:42 AM)

I see it like this:

Loss = 0 points.

There needs to be less points (well or at least equal points for every game...do 3) but you absolutely cannot give a team zero points for losing in a shootout...unless regulation losses are worth -1 or something.

A team that wins in regulation shouldn't earn as much as a team that wins in a shootout, so the same should be the case for the loser.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 10:22 PM)
There needs to be less points (well or at least equal points for every game...do 3) but you absolutely cannot give a team zero points for losing in a shootout...unless regulation losses are worth -1 or something.

A team that wins in regulation shouldn't earn as much as a team that wins in a shootout, so the same should be the case for the loser.

I think the only options in making regulation wins more valuable is to either bump it up to 3 points (which I dont like because it will be too much) or start giving half points.

Regulation Win--3 points

OT/SO Win--2 points

OT/SO Loss--1 point

Loss--0 points

or

Regulation Win--2 points

OT/SO Win--1 point

OT/SO Loss-- 0.5 point

Loss---0 points

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 08:23 PM)
I dont think a team should be penalized for losing a shootout. That would be like allowing baseball game to be decided by a HR derby after 10 innings of a tie game.

A loss is a loss. I cannot see any situation where a losing team deserves points. It diminishes the value of a win.