2011-2012 NHL Thread

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 11:48 AM)
Yeah, but franchise goaltenders don't grow on trees. Just look at the teams that are winning. This f***ing rotating goaltenders crap is catching up to us.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/4432

Wish we would have let Hammer go instead of Niemi, but I guess hindsight is 20/20 (hell, I was on here hyping up Marty f***ing Turco for Christ's sake. The Hawks need to address the goaltending situation at some point.

Oh, and f*** Kaner.

I was completely against picking Hjalmarrson over Niemi at the time, and everyone told me Niemi was just a fluke.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 10:48 AM)
Yeah, but franchise goaltenders don't grow on trees. Just look at the teams that are winning. This f***ing rotating goaltenders crap is catching up to us.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/4432

Wish we would have let Hammer go instead of Niemi, but I guess hindsight is 20/20 (hell, I was on here hyping up Marty f***ing Turco for Christ's sake. The Hawks need to address the goaltending situation at some point.

Oh, and f*** Kaner.

I was definitely in the keep Hammer, let Niemi go crowd. I never thought Niemi was a fluke, but I figured he was easier to replace than a young improving D-man. (As the Red Wings usually did, or so the media said) Niemi won the Sharks series that season, but they won the Cup cause the team was so damn good and deep.

Last year Crawford looked like he would be good enough, especially after that Canucks series. Not sure what's going with him, although the defensive breakdowns can't be helping.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 12:29 PM)
I was definitely in the keep Hammer, let Niemi go crowd. I never thought Niemi was a fluke, but I figured he was easier to replace than a young improving D-man. (As the Red Wings usually did, or so the media said) Niemi won the Sharks series that season, but they won the Cup cause the team was so damn good and deep.

Last year Crawford looked like he would be good enough, especially after that Canucks series. Not sure what's going with him, although the defensive breakdowns can't be helping.

Crawford has no confidence right now. I don't know if it is a case of being shell-shocked or what, but he is scared back there.

As long as the Bowman's are running player personnel, the 'hawks will never overspend for a goalie. They believe that a strong defense builds up a middling goaltender. And they are right. The year the 'hawks won the Cup they were among the league leaders in shots against. That hasn't been the case since. To be honest, Niemi's agent blew that deal. He ended up getting less. He could still be here, the 'hawks offered him a fair deal and it was rejected. Not much you can do about it.

If the current defense can get their heads out of their asses, you'll see Crawford and Emery pick up their games.

EDIT: The best thing about this slump...it's in the middle of Jan. and Feb and not in the middle of April and May.

Edited by CanOfCorn

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 07:30 AM)
Not for this year's version of Ryan Miller, he seems worn down or something.

If Miller went to a playoff team then I bet the old Ryan Miller would show up. He appears dejected with the way the season has gone and probably doesnt have much respect for his teammates.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 07:00 PM)
If Miller went to a playoff team then I bet the old Ryan Miller would show up. He appears dejected with the way the season has gone and probably doesnt have much respect for his teammates.

Miller's actually been playing much better lately, as have the Sabres.

....unlike the Blackhawks....

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 10:19 PM)
This might be the worst collapse I've ever seen from my of "my" teams. After how great they started, I am incredibly dejected. It's BAD.

Taking into account the length of the season, the Bears collapse this year was still worse. The Hawks could still turn it around and make the playoffs. But at least the Bears had a thumb to blame, there is no excuse for the Hawks.

Now they get to visit the best & hottest team in hockey in the Garden. Counting that as a loss, if they can't beat Columbus on Saturday, then I think Q needs to go. Make a change as you head back home for the national TV game vs. STL, then the Wings two nights later.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 11:33 AM)
Taking into account the length of the season, the Bears collapse this year was still worse. The Hawks could still turn it around and make the playoffs. But at least the Bears had a thumb to blame, there is no excuse for the Hawks.

Now they get to visit the best & hottest team in hockey in the Garden. Counting that as a loss, if they can't beat Columbus on Saturday, then I think Q needs to go. Make a change as you head back home for the national TV game vs. STL, then the Wings two nights later.

Not even close. The Bears were missing their two best players. The Hawks slide has been at 100%

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 11:50 AM)
Not even close. The Bears were missing their two best players. The Hawks slide has been at 100%

Well, I did say:

But at least the Bears had a thumb to blame, there is no excuse for the Hawks.

If the Hawks slide their way out of the playoffs, then yeah it will be worse. I realize how much was Hanie's fault, but the Tebow game & vs the Chiefs had some major breakdowns by the rest of the team too.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 12:33 PM)
Well, I did say:

If the Hawks slide their way out of the playoffs, then yeah it will be worse. I realize how much was Hanie's fault, but the Tebow game & vs the Chiefs had some major breakdowns by the rest of the team too.

I'm with Mike on this one, not even comparable. If Toews/Kane got hurt long term and they missed the playoffs, fine, chalk it up to injuries. But the Bears and Hawks situations aren't even close.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 02:38 PM)
I'm with Mike on this one, not even comparable. If Toews/Kane got hurt long term and they missed the playoffs, fine, chalk it up to injuries. But the Bears and Hawks situations aren't even close.

Injury makes a collapse much more legit. Collapse because you aren't doing work is the worst possible way to go out.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 16, 2012 -> 06:01 AM)
The worst goaltending tandem in hockey.

Damn, that's unfortunate.

That has to be totally frustrating for you guys who watch all the games. Nothing worse than lousy goalkeeping.

Came across this on the Internet.

Wow, goosebumps listening to this former Hawks' announcer.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 16, 2012 -> 12:01 AM)
The worst goaltending tandem in hockey.

Eh...that's a little dramatic. They are playing the worst in the league right now, sure, but this is also not normal for them. Earlier in the year they were both doing a really solid job. I think if the Hawks can get some D help, they will get back to normal.