2011-2012 NHL Thread

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1st rounder Mark McNeill was assigned to Rockford earlier this week (might have been last week) and now the other 1st rounder Phillip Danault has been assigned as well. Clendening and Saad are their 2 2nd rounders, both of which look to be really promising prospects. And they're already getting great production out of Andrew Shaw, the 5th rounder.

Dylan Olsen was their 1st rounder in 2009, Marcus Kruger was a 5th round pick that year. Jimmy Hayes was acquired for our 2nd rounder in 2010. Two guys who are close are Kevin Hayes (1st in 2010) and Brandon Pirri, 2nd in 2009.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 30, 2012 -> 12:10 PM)
1st rounder Mark McNeill was assigned to Rockford earlier this week (might have been last week) and now the other 1st rounder Phillip Danault has been assigned as well. Clendening and Saad are their 2 2nd rounders, both of which look to be really promising prospects. And they're already getting great production out of Andrew Shaw, the 5th rounder.

With the guys they have under big contracts, they are going to have to keep getting production out of the farm system. So far so good, but it is going to be an annual fight to stay under the cap.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 01:43 PM)
Great to see Toews is close to returning. I say run him in practice as much as possible but don't bring him back until the playoffs start. Sucks about Montador. How many setbacks has this team had this year? Jeez.

I would like to see Toews get a limited amount of ice time in the last 2 games. Just to give him a feel for a real game again. I don't want him going in to the playoffs so far removed from an NHL game.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 30, 2012 -> 12:50 PM)
Obviously Saad as well, and he looks like a future superstar.

76 points in 44 games. +35

OHL stats can be a bit deceiving . . . Dave Bolland had like 135 points in 50 games while he was there. Now, Dave Bolland is a solid-above average player in the NHL, but a superstar he is not.

The Pacific division is ridiculous right now. Each team has 4 games left:

LA 90, 3rd

Dallas 89, 7th

Phoenix 89, 8th

San Jose 88, 9th, outside looking in

One game, or even a point, could be the difference between hosting a first round series and missing altogether.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 31, 2012 -> 12:02 PM)

LA 90, 3rd

Dallas 89, 7th

Phoenix 89, 8th

One game, or even a point, could be the difference between hosting a first round series and missing altogether.

My preference of who I'd like to see get in:

LA to win the division

Phoenix to finish 7th

Dallas to finish 8th

San Jose to miss the playoffs entirely. I've come to dislike that team quite a bit, and I want to see Doug Wilson blow it up if they miss the postseason.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Mar 31, 2012 -> 01:49 PM)
My preference of who I'd like to see get in:

LA to win the division

Phoenix to finish 7th

Dallas to finish 8th

San Jose to miss the playoffs entirely. I've come to dislike that team quite a bit, and I want to see Doug Wilson blow it up if they miss the postseason.

Assuming the Blackhawks stick in the 6th seed, I definitely don't want to see Quick and the Kings.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 31, 2012 -> 12:02 PM)

LA 90, 3rd

Dallas 89, 7th

Phoenix 89, 8th

Let's not forget LA's game vs Columbus where the clock magically stopped giving LA time to tie the game.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 31, 2012 -> 05:17 PM)
Assuming the Blackhawks stick in the 6th seed, I definitely don't want to see Quick and the Kings.

I suppose, although Phoenix seems to give them fits and I don't trust them against SJ even though they should stomp them.

From a matchup standpoint, maybe Dallas?

I was just going by which teams I like best.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 1, 2012 -> 11:06 PM)
Well, at least we got 1 point. But the shootout is still stupid.

Good news is that Keith comes back next game and Toews has been cleared for contact and should be back soon.

No, no, no. That point tonight was bad news. The Hawks need to LOSE OUT the rest of the season. If they make it to the 5th seed, then they play the Red Wings in RD 1. If they stay in the 6th spot, they play LA.

Hawks better not lose this seeding.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 1, 2012 -> 11:03 PM)
No, no, no. That point tonight was bad news. The Hawks need to LOSE OUT the rest of the season. If they make it to the 5th seed, then they play the Red Wings in RD 1. If they stay in the 6th spot, they play LA.

I'm fine playing the Red Wings, would rather avoid LA .

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 2, 2012 -> 01:09 AM)
I'm fine playing the Red Wings, would rather avoid LA .

Yea Hawks struggle badly against teams with good goalies. Not that Howard is bad, but guys like Quick and Rinne are much better. Add solid defense and the Hawks won't make it out the first. Ideally, Dallas would be the team to face (or SJ) but hey... gotta beat the best whoever you face anyways right?

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 1, 2012 -> 11:03 PM)

I think it's more likely they play the Predators, which is worse IMO.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 1, 2012 -> 06:17 PM)
Sweet, just heard of the WGN/DirecTV dispute. No Hawks game on TV tonight.

This is a flashback to 2000 for me, no home games on TV. Awesome.

It's WGN. You seem to live in the West Loop. Rabbit Ears = HD. And yes, I know this response is after the game and wouldn't have been in time anyway.

I don't have rabbit ears. I'm sure some places do, but wasn't able to get out to see the game. Not that it was that important of a game anyway.

This thing will blow up if it gets later in the week and Cubs (and then Sox) games aren't on.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 2, 2012 -> 09:24 AM)
I don't have rabbit ears. I'm sure some places do, but wasn't able to get out to see the game. Not that it was that important of a game anyway.

This thing will blow up if it gets later in the week and Cubs (and then Sox) games aren't on.

Cubs games will blow this up. West End last night was reduced to playing the radio feed. Hilarious. Luckily I was at Cafe Bionda watching their comcast feed.

And god help us if we face Nashville in the first round, they own us and have been our toughest matchup for years.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 2, 2012 -> 11:57 AM)
And god help us if we face Nashville in the first round, they own us and have been our toughest matchup for years.

This. Hell, the 2010 Stanley Cup almost didn't happen if it weren't for a miracle goal in Game 4. They were moments from being down 3-1. Then, the Hossa OT goal and lots of masturbating and the rest is, as they say, history.