2011-2012 NHL Thread

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ May 1, 2012 -> 11:05 AM)
Mmmm...Kings/Yotes. That sounds...horrible.

Our friends north of the border have to love no Canadian teams after round 1, and one of the finalists being from either SoCal or Arizona.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 1, 2012 -> 11:18 AM)
Our friends north of the border have to love no Canadian teams after round 1, and one of the finalists being from either SoCal or Arizona.

especially since the Coyotes were Winnipeg.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 02:17 PM)
I was just giving you a hard time for slighting the other game. That being said, since 2007, Miami & Notre Dame have been much more successful than Wisco or Minny.

Miami had possibly the largest championship choke-collapse in college hockey history. Would have been our first national title in anything major.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 02:06 PM)
I

Supposedly Wisconsin is getting paid between $200-$250k to come (Wisconsin has one of the largest hockey stadiums of any NCAA team, Kohl Center holds 15,325) where as Notre Dame can only hold 5,000, Ohio 2,850 and Minnesota 9,305.

FYI, new Goggin can hold about 4,000 people, its quite a bit bigger than the old one, but still not as big as Kohl.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/hocke...0,2786635.story

The Montreal Canadiens have selected Marc Bergevin as their new general manager.

Bergevin served as assistant GM for the Blackhawks under Stan Bowman during the 2011-12 season. As first reported in the Tribune, the 46-year-old Montreal native will replace the fired Pierre Gauthier. A news conference to formally announce the hiring will be held Wednesday afternoon.

Bergevin spent seven seasons in the Hawks' front office, the last as assistant to Bowman after being named to the position June 15, 2011. A former Hawks defenseman and one of the NHL's all-time pranksters, Bergevin also held various other positions with the team, including Director of Player Personnel and assistant coach to Joel Quenneville. He played 20 seasons in the NHL, including the first four-plus with the Hawks.

It's the second consecutive season the Hawks have seen their assistant GM land a top job elsewhere as the Winnipeg Jets hired Kevin Cheveldayoff as their GM following the '10-11 season.

[email protected]

Twitter @ChrisKuc

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 2, 2012 -> 11:18 PM)
Epic game. Guys just sacrificing their bodies left and right in period 6, it's hard to match the dedication anywhere in sports.

Ryan McDonagh was on the ice for 53:21 :o

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ May 3, 2012 -> 01:28 PM)
Raffi Torres appealing 25 game suspension.

What a douche.

It is really too bad that no major sport has the option to add to a suspension after reviewing it. With the way the system is set up now, there is literally no reason to not appeal. At worst you end up in the same place you were before.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2012 -> 02:45 PM)
It is really too bad that no major sport has the option to add to a suspension after reviewing it. With the way the system is set up now, there is literally no reason to not appeal. At worst you end up in the same place you were before.

Maybe thats why he got 25 games b/c the league knew he would appeal and possibly get some games knocked off.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 3, 2012 -> 09:06 PM)
Hey look, another overtime playoff game, how boring.

OT games or not, I actually have found this round of the playoffs to be quite boring.

This is primarily because I don't really want any of the remaining teams to win other than maybe St. Louis, who are about to bow out.

QUOTE (The Critic @ May 4, 2012 -> 10:11 AM)
OT games or not, I actually have found this round of the playoffs to be quite boring.

This is primarily because I don't really want any of the remaining teams to win other than maybe St. Louis, who are about to bow out.

I've had enough, I'm taking your Hawks fan card away. Detroit and now them too?

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 4, 2012 -> 12:32 PM)
I've had enough, I'm taking your Hawks fan card away. Detroit and now them too?

Of the teams left in the running, I like them the most. Since they got rid of that idiot Payne they learned how to harness their physical play into a good system.

I haven't been watching them, though. I've barely seen any of the playoffs since the Hawks failed.

QUOTE (The Critic @ May 4, 2012 -> 07:15 PM)
Of the teams left in the running, I like them the most. Since they got rid of that idiot Payne they learned how to harness their physical play into a good system.

I haven't been watching them, though. I've barely seen any of the playoffs since the Hawks failed.

I agree with Krush. Of all the teams left, St. Louis is the one team I really don't want to win. Who cares about their system, it's the f***ing Blues.

QUOTE (The Critic @ May 4, 2012 -> 07:15 PM)

Who's left is irrelevant. They have good players and everything, but can't root for St. Louis (or Detroit, but we've been there too).

Without some level of rooting interest, I don't want to watch.

And I haven't been watching much, so obviously my rooting level is not high.

Not apologizing for liking the way the Blues play now, though. They're an entertaining team to watch, regardless of how fans are supposed to feel about them.

I am far too old to care about rivalries. Or to care if that makes me "less of a fan" to others.

For me, watching sports is a mindless exercise - if "my team" wins, great. If not, life goes on.

I lived-and-died with my teams for far too long. It's pointless to get so angry about pastimes.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 5, 2012 -> 03:18 PM)
Once PHX beat us, the only Western team left to root for is the Kings, because, well, screw the Blues, Preds and Yotes.

Gary Bettman, is that you?