Hitting homeruns with objects other than bats

Bighurt52235

QUOTE (Bighurt52235 @ Jun 17, 2011 -> 07:18 PM)
I feel fairly certain that I could drive a ball out of Willaimsport with a standard claw hammer. What do you guys think? Anyone hit a ball 200+ feet with something other than a bat?

Lol, quite an odd thread. My friends and I used to use tennis rackets as baseball bats, and play with tennis balls. Probably hit it over 200 feet. And we used to hit kickballs with baseball bats, probably only hit them like 100 feet though. And we used to hit golfballs with a baseball bat, and those go like 400 feet, but I don't recall ever trying to hit a BASEBALL with something other than a baseball bat. Hell, we almost never played with real baseballs anyway.

Well, back home where the 'rents live, lies a very fine Little League complex, where i intend to do some damage when I visit in a couple weeks. There lies 7 200 ft fields, and one "all fences 300+ field". Some years ago I conquered all fields in a total of 21 pitches, and now I wish to do so with a claw hammer.

QUOTE (Bighurt52235 @ Jun 17, 2011 -> 06:50 PM)
In addendum, it is very easy to hit a golfball 400+ feet. I would love to drive golfballs all over and out of US Cellular with a bat.

When I was younger I would hit golfballs from the homeplate area of a nearby park with a driver. Bats were too loud. We would play homerun derby not with the immediate field, but the field that extended beyond it -- easily over 500 ft out.

QUOTE (Bighurt52235 @ Jun 17, 2011 -> 08:20 PM)
Theres just not enough force behind it. I honestly dont think anyone could drive one into the outfield with a broom handle.

It would also break. Any thing you use has to be rigid against shear stress.

QUOTE (Bighurt52235 @ Jun 17, 2011 -> 06:50 PM)
In addendum, it is very easy to hit a golfball 400+ feet. I would love to drive golfballs all over and out of US Cellular with a bat.

I was coming in here to say this

I remember in high school tossing up a golfball and hitting it with an aluminum bat and it easily going 500+ feet

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 02:11 PM)
With a hammer? That would take some seriously good vision and hand-eye coordination.

The other thing with a hammer is that you don't get the speed since the hammer isn't 30 inches long. When you're swinging an object, the linear velocity increases massively the farther away from the center around which it is being swung, while the angular velocity stays constant.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 01:16 PM)
The other thing with a hammer is that you don't get the speed since the hammer isn't 30 inches long. When you're swinging an object, the linear velocity increases massively the farther away from the center around which it is being swung, while the angular velocity stays constant.

Yeah, and that :lolhitting

Update: A few days ago, I took a foot long ball pien to a Little League complex. Wish I could tell you that I sprayed the ball around the park, but that would be a lie. I saw about 30 pitches, foul tipped two, and didn't put a single one in play. When you're used to swinging a 32 inch bat, its so emasculating to swing through a bunch of hangers with your hammer. Lol.

QUOTE (Bighurt52235 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 03:20 AM)
Update: A few days ago, I took a foot long ball pien to a Little League complex. Wish I could tell you that I sprayed the ball around the park, but that would be a lie. I saw about 30 pitches, foul tipped two, and didn't put a single one in play. When you're used to swinging a 32 inch bat, its so emasculating to swing through a bunch of hangers with your hammer. Lol.

Sweet spot gets a bit bigger with a baseball bat, eh?