Guys that are becoming legit prospects

Jerksticks

We have a lot of guys turning some corners this year.

Kuhn just seems to get it now. Kinda like when PK flipped the switch last year and figured something out. You can't suck and bat .370 for this long can you?

Interested in compiling a list of our best if anybody wants to contribute.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 12:57 AM)
Addison Reed has surely look great since being drafted. He is our most exciting player right now outside of the obvious Viciedo.

Yes, I do like Reed. I'd actually like to give him a shot right now over most of the raw sewage we're running out there.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 01:00 AM)
Yes, I do like Reed. I'd actually like to give him a shot right now over most of the raw sewage we're running out there.

Key not to rush him though. He looks like a guy who can be a legit above average reliever with a shot to close. Great stuff and spectacular numbers.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 02:06 AM)
Key not to rush him though. He looks like a guy who can be a legit above average reliever with a shot to close. Great stuff and spectacular numbers.

Yeah, I should've said after he gets a little more run in AA. I don't think AAA will be necessary if he keeps this up.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 17, 2011 -> 11:54 PM)
Kuhn is a legit prospect? Maybe by White Sox standards. Unless you believe he can maintain a .440 BABIP. Does Kuhn have one legitimate tool?

Years ago, they said the same thing about Wade Boggs. They kept him in minors for years, until age 26 I believe. No power, no speed, average defense, etc. Finally, he stuck with BoSox and he hit something like .360 his rookie year and won the batting title. Eventually got 3000 hits and a HOF career. He became a better hitter in majors. Who's to say it won't happen for Kuhn? At least give him a chance to succeed.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 04:21 PM)
Years ago, they said the same thing about Wade Boggs. They kept him in minors for years, until age 26 I believe. No power, no speed, average defense, etc. Finally, he stuck with BoSox and he hit something like .360 his rookie year and won the batting title. Eventually got 3000 hits and a HOF career. He became a better hitter in majors. Who's to say it won't happen for Kuhn? At least give him a chance to succeed.

Not that you were comparing Kuhn to Boggs or anything, but Boggs had 337 BB/134 SO in 662 Minor League games (2,647 AB). His minor league numbers may not be "sexy", but he was the definition of an 80 contact hitter throughout his career, Majors and minors.

I'd like to see Christian Marrero at AAA soon. Would like to see what else he could provide.

James Gallagher........I would like to see him in the bigs and see if he can be a fourth outfielder/bench player for the Sox.

Edited by OilCan

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 09:35 AM)
Not that you were comparing Kuhn to Boggs or anything, but Boggs had 337 BB/134 SO in 662 Minor League games (2,647 AB). His minor league numbers may not be "sexy", but he was the definition of an 80 contact hitter throughout his career, Majors and minors.

Not sure of your point..... Some posters say that Kuhn has no real tools, hence not much of a prospect. I have no idea what the Sox brass think, because they don't say much. I pointed out that they said the same thing about Boggs, kept him in the minors waaay too long before he got his chance, then he starred. Immediately. I'm advocating that we move Kuhn along to avoid the same thing.

By the way, since you have access to Boggs' minor league stats, I would love to see them, at least his last year or two before his rookie year. Thanks.

QUOTE (OilCan @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 10:21 AM)

He more than doubled his XBH from his first year in AAA to the second. Rather slappy before that.

As I remember it, Boggs had crazy contact skills, and even crazier line-drive skills. IIRC, he once went nearly an entire season without a single infield popout. Don't think they kept LD% stats back then, maybe I'm wrong.

I guess he was in the majors at 24, not 26. At any rate, he was unique, and most comps would also be HOF'ers, ala Carew.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

I'm surprised that Brandon Short has created more excitement around here, only 22 years old in AA and has been able to adapt and excel at every level he's been promoted to. Looks like he could develop to a legit 20/20 guy in the future, maybe he becomes the player Alex Rios could've been minus the stellar D.

Also, I think you can consider Dan Remenosky a legit prospect at this point, his K-BB rate is unbelievable.

DOH, forgot about Shorty. Yep, he's been doing pretty good in AA too!!! He deserves a promotion as well as Remy.

I would like to see Daniel Black get a little bit more consistent with his BA. Let me rephrase that...is there any way he can get closer to .290/.300 BA? .270 is OK, .280 is good, I know he has power, but with a higher BA, his "helium watch" should expand.

QUOTE (OilCan @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 08:52 AM)
I'd like to see Christian Marrero at AAA soon. Would like to see what else he could provide.

James Gallagher........I would like to see him in the bigs and see if he can be a fourth outfielder/bench player for the Sox.

Yay! Glad to see someone mention Gallagher. I'd love to see him come up even if it's only as a Sept. callup. He's been in our system for awhile and while he's never had outstanding numbers, he's been very steady and serviceable. He hit pretty well this past spring training, yeah, I know...who cares about spring training? I'm just saying, he can maybe hit a little.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 12:54 AM)
Kuhn is a legit prospect? Maybe by White Sox standards. Unless you believe he can maintain a .440 BABIP. Does Kuhn have one legitimate tool?

I believe he can, he makes mad contact. He puts the ball between the infielders and outfielders, that seems to be a legitimate tool.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 10:28 AM)
He more than doubled his XBH from his first year in AAA to the second. Rather slappy before that.

As I remember it, Boggs had crazy contact skills, and even crazier line-drive skills. IIRC, he once went nearly an entire season without a single infield popout. Don't think they kept LD% stats back then, maybe I'm wrong.

I guess he was in the majors at 24, not 26. At any rate, he was unique, and most comps would also be HOF'ers, ala Carew.

Thanks for Boggs' minor league stats. I stand corrected on his age -- 24, not 26. And only two yrs in AAA. It does seem like they kept in low minors a bit long, likely due to lack of power. I don't remember who he replaced at third for Boston. I hope we don't overlook Kuhn for same reason.

Boggs certainly worked hard at his craft. When criticized for lack of speed, he hired his own speed coach to help his baserunning. I loved watching him hit. He got a lot of walks, too. He won a bunch of consecutive batting championships..

On the coincidence side, did you notice Boggs spent time at both Bristol and Winston-Salem??