Guys that are becoming legit prospects

Jerksticks

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 11:47 AM)
Thanks for Boggs' minor league stats. I stand corrected on his age -- 24, not 26. And only two yrs in AAA. It does seem like they kept in low minors a bit long, likely due to lack of power. I don't remember who he replaced at third for Boston. I hope we don't overlook Kuhn for same reason.

Boggs certainly worked hard at his craft. When criticized for lack of speed, he hired his own speed coach to help his baserunning. I loved watching him hit. He got a lot of walks, too. He won a bunch of consecutive batting championships..

On the coincidence side, did you notice Boggs spent time at both Bristol and Winston-Salem??

Did Boggs replace Carney Lansford?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 01:03 PM)
Did Boggs replace Carney Lansford?

Yes, good work. They overlapped one year, I believe. Lansford was another solid hitter, now hitting coach for the Rockies.

Back to the original topic, here are some guys solidifying themselves as good prospects or becoming them:

C. Marrero - Does nothing but hit. Great for an undrafted guy. His spits away from home are impressive.

B. Short - Just rakes.

T. Doyle - Projects as a 5th starter/swingman at best, but he's made some strides.

D. Viciedo - He's put it all together. Definitely a Top 100 prospect.

A. Rienzo - I think that the Sox organization is making him develop his offspeed pitches more, hence the high walk totals. I'd keep a close eye on his second half to see if he progresses. Really big upside, though.

Gallagher - the more he hits, he SHOULD be viewed at the very least as a viable bench option. I mean, the guy has hit at every level, and he has extra base power. What's not to like? And he's a left handed bat.

Kuhn - same as Gallagher. Both guys, along with Marrero, are solidifying themselves this year. Hopefully, KW does the SMART thing and keep them.

Rienzo/Doyle - Interesting develop and see what you have prospects.

Would like to see also how Jacob Petricka continues to develop in the second half of the season.

QUOTE (OilCan @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 01:47 PM)
Gallagher - the more he hits, he SHOULD be viewed at the very least as a viable bench option. I mean, the guy has hit at every level, and he has extra base power. What's not to like? And he's a left handed bat.

I think he could replace Teahen without missing a beat, he has a great eye at the plate. I wonder if he could develop some power as he gets older like Jayson Werth did.

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 09:12 PM)
I think he could replace Teahen without missing a beat, he has a great eye at the plate. I wonder if he could develop some power as he gets older like Jayson Werth did.

I love Jim Gallagher, but his power will probably stay the same. Plus, he's nowhere near as large as Jayson Werth.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 04:35 PM)
Not that you were comparing Kuhn to Boggs or anything, but Boggs had 337 BB/134 SO in 662 Minor League games (2,647 AB). His minor league numbers may not be "sexy", but he was the definition of an 80 contact hitter throughout his career, Majors and minors.

Boggs was 24 when he got to the majors and played 104 games.

When he was 25 he had 210 hits.

not saying kuhn isn't a prospect, although he has never made the Sox list of top 30 prospects with Baseball America.

But chances are he'll be a Graffanino type.

Only ones I follow (and high on) are Viciedo, Short, Reed, Buch, Reinzo and Thompson.

(I just keep a lookout on guys like Dan Black because I've met him before, Gallagher cause he was my sleeper pick two years ago, Marrero cause his situation is a little bit similiar to 07-08 David Cook and Flowers' walk numbers)

Oh, though not a prospect, but Shane Lindsay just for the laughs.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 19, 2011 -> 11:20 PM)
Only ones I follow (and high on) are Viciedo, Short, Reed, Buch, Reinzo and Thompson.

(I just keep a lookout on guys like Dan Black because I've met him before, Gallagher cause he was my sleeper pick two years ago, Marrero cause his situation is a little bit similiar to 07-08 David Cook and Flowers' walk numbers)

Oh, though not a prospect, but Shane Lindsay just for the laughs.

When you have a WHIP higher than your ERA. You are either doing something really good, really bad, or a combination. His statline is an enigma.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 19, 2011 -> 10:24 PM)
When you have a WHIP higher than your ERA. You are either doing something really good, really bad, or a combination. His statline is an enigma.

Some of the craziest peripherals ever.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Jun 19, 2011 -> 11:56 AM)
Boggs was 24 when he got to the majors and played 104 games.

When he was 25 he had 210 hits.

not saying kuhn isn't a prospect, although he has never made the Sox list of top 30 prospects with Baseball America.

But chances are he'll be a Graffanino type.

Kuhn has a higher ceiling than that. I'd say Chone Figgins in his prime.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 10:43 PM)
thats very optimistic

That's the type of guy he is. People seem to think of Kuhn in a lesser way than they should. He's a .300 leadoff guy who can play 4, and maybe up to 6, positions. That was Figgins at his peak.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 11:01 PM)
That's the type of guy he is. People seem to think of Kuhn in a lesser way than they should. He's a .300 leadoff guy who can play 4, and maybe up to 6, positions. That was Figgins at his peak.

Well that and 30+ stolen bases. Kuhn will never do that.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 01:36 PM)
Haven't watched him at all. I'm going off the opinion of professionals that do watch him though.

What have they said? Because he hardly makes any errors.

Edited by JPN366

Don't regurgitate that "player without a position" thing. That doesn't mean he can't play defense, it just means he doesn't strictly profile at one position. Kuhn is a utility guy who should play everyday. He is far from a defensive liability at all. From watching him, I'd say he could handle CF and RF in addition to 3B, SS, 2B and LF. In his hitting prime, Chone Figgins didn't profile at one single position, he played 5 or 6 different positions regularly. A different one everyday. His bat was needed in the lineup and he gave the Angels flexibility.

Edited by JPN366