6/18 Sox @ D-Backs 7:10 PM, WGN

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 weeks ago, you would have said Santos.

Now it has to be Konerko, with Humber (if they need a pitcher), Quentin and Ramirez on the periphery of the discussion.

Minnesota on a 13-2 run (another 1-0 win) and still only 8 GB now. At least the Tigers are cooling off against the Rockies.

C'mon Gordon, we need a bases clearing double to break this game open and give Danks some breathing room for once.

Edited by caulfield12

I think we're another 2 weeks from Beckham going back to the minors.

He made solid contact in his first at-bat...but at some point his long-term viability (2012-2014) as a player has to take precedence over one season.

They're going to have to re-engineer a Tiger Woods swing change and get rid of that hitch in his swing somehow.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 09:55 PM)
Baseball salaries are ridiculous. Alex Rios will be paid more this year than Carlton Fisk made his entire 24 year career.

Should the owners just pocket even more money? Because in the end it comes down to players or owners making that extra money.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 09:46 PM)
I think we're another 2 weeks from Beckham going back to the minors.

He made solid contact in his first at-bat...but at some point his long-term viability (2012-2014) as a player has to take precedence over one season.

They're going to have to re-engineer a Tiger Woods swing change and get rid of that hitch in his swing somehow.

If they didn't send him down last year I don't imagine they'll send him down this year. They won't make vizquel te regular second baseman.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 08:57 PM)
Should the owners just pocket even more money? Because in the end it comes down to players or owners making that extra money.

No. It probably shouldn't cost someone $200-300 to take their family to a game, but people have been willing to pay it, although I believe the tide is turning.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 08:55 PM)
Baseball salaries are ridiculous. Alex Rios will be paid more this year than Carlton Fisk made his entire 24 year career.

Rios would make a pretty good fourth outfielder. That's a pretty expensive fourth outfielder, but the cost is sunk anyway so might as well pay him for the role he is suited for.

How much better would the Sox be this season if Viciedo and De Aza were on the 25 man roster in place of Pierre and Rios?

Poor Ubaldo Jimenez, going all Dontrelle Willis.

He went from a 15 game winner at the ASB to 5 wins in the past 5 1/2 months and is now out of the Tigers game with an injury.

I'm sure a lot of unhappy rotisserie league drafters aren't so amused.

So much for Lillibridge. They're going to have to let him play everyday to get back into an offensive rhythm. Unfortunately, that will never happen.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 09:58 PM)
No. It probably shouldn't cost someone $200-300 to take their family to a game, but people have been willing to pay it, although I believe the tide is turning.

The owners would charge the same amount regardless of how much the players make.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 09:59 PM)
Rios would make a pretty good fourth outfielder. That's a pretty expensive fourth outfielder, but the cost is sunk anyway so might as well pay him for the role he is suited for.

How much better would the Sox be this season if Viciedo and De Aza were on the 25 man roster in place of Pierre and Rios?

De Aza didn't play well until recently either.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 08:59 PM)

I'm not convinced De Aza would make much of a difference, but Viciedo in LF/RF and having Hudson back and we'd be a lot more competitive.

Of course, we can't just take Hudson's stats and project them to the White Sox. It seems part of the problem in Chicago is that he wasn't listening to the coaching staff and was trying to do things his way because he'd been so successful at the minor league level doing just that.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 08:58 PM)

And those corporations that used to buy box ticket packages or suites are hoarding their cash...it's definitely a different economic landscape for most American families, and sooner or later the NBA and MLB will have to acknowledge that and readjust accordingly.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 10:02 PM)
I'm not convinced De Aza would make much of a difference, but Viciedo in LF/RF and having Hudson back and we'd be a lot more competitive.

Of course, we can't just take Hudson's stats and project them to the White Sox. It seems part of the problem in Chicago is that he wasn't listening to the coaching staff and was trying to do things his way because he'd been so successful at the minor league level doing just that.

For basically 4 starts he was nibbling the corners. It was obvious enough that even I was saying exactly that and that he'd come around with time and confidence in his stuff, like a lot of rookies. We were just demanding an ace off the bat when he was barely 2 years out of the draft.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 09:00 PM)
The owners would charge the same amount regardless of how much the players make.

If the average payroll was $30-40 million, it wouldn't cost as much to go to a game. They charge what they think they can get away with. Beers wouldn't be $7.25. People stopped filling the bleachers at Wrigley so the Cubs started dropping prices for beer and hot dogs.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 10:04 PM)
And those corporations that used to buy box ticket packages or suites are hoarding their cash...it's definitely a different economic landscape for most American families, and sooner or later the NBA and MLB will have to acknowledge that and readjust accordingly.

No they won't. Revenue is going up every year. That's what matters.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 09:02 PM)

I think a Lillibridge/De Aza platoon in CF would have produced more than Rios has so far this season, and Viciedo would have vastly outperformed Pierre of course.

But dealing with what they have now, I would replace Pierre on the roster with Viciedo, start CQ, Lillibridge, and Tank in the OF and use Rios as a fourth outfielder/late inning defensive replacement. If any of the OFers got injured or if Lillibridge became over-exposed, Rios can win back his starting position if he performs well enough as a role player. It just may be exactly what he needs.