6/18 Sox @ D-Backs 7:10 PM, WGN

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 09:29 PM)
If you can sell something for more, you do it. Or did capitalism end?

I'm a season ticketholder so I get a lot of letters from the White Sox. When they raise ticket prices, according to them its not about trying to squeeze more out of me or maximizing their profit, its about trying to cover their costs. If you noticed, there have been a lot of empty seats at USCF this year, and attendance has dropped every year since 2006 or 2007.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 10:32 PM)
I'm a season ticketholder so I get a lot of letters from the White Sox. When they raise ticket prices, according to them its not about trying to squeeze more out of me or maximizing their profit, its about trying to cover their costs.

Then they're lying to you. And honestly, what are they supposed to say?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 10:30 PM)
Did the Knicks just have a few thousand people call and say they were willing to pay $700 a seat to watch them next year? They did it because they thought many of the people who have been around for 30 years won't cancel no matter what.

Ask the Yankees how the ridiculous pricing worked when they moved into their new park.

They lowered the prices the next season. After they won the WS.

I will say that the NBA is in trouble, but it's not the Knicks. It's the small franchises.

There are lots of ways to determine your market for higher price tickets. demand amongst current ticket holders for Bette seats. Word of mouth. Actual local polling data. Test sales. Ticket broker prices.

You realize that if they cut prices in half the people who would make a killing are the middlemen.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 10:32 PM)
I'm a season ticketholder so I get a lot of letters from the White Sox. When they raise ticket prices, according to them its not about trying to squeeze more out of me or maximizing their profit, its about trying to cover their costs. If you noticed, there have been a lot of empty seats at USCF this year, and attendance has dropped every year since 2006 or 2007.

And yet, AAccording to Forbes the white sox took home $25 million in profit last year. Then, when they went all in, they conveniently raised salary by exactly the amount Forbes said they earned in profit last year.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 09:27 PM)
Then they have no reason to raise ticket prices every year. We will agree to disagree because I think guys like Alex Rios, even if he were halfway decent, making $12 million a year, is silly. Seriously, $12 million is a lot of money.

It's all relative, though.

What about John Bon Jovi making over $125 million last year??...Lady Gaga, etc. Is he 10X more valuable to society than Alex Rios, lol?

Then you get into very esoteric arguments about music/culture having more creativity and intrinsic entertainment value than sports....it can go on and on.

As a teacher, it's a common argument about how much is enough.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 10:36 PM)
It's all relative, though.

What about John Bon Jovi making over $125 million last year??...Lady Gaga, etc. Is he 10X more valuable to society than Alex Rios, lol?

Then you get into very esoteric arguments about music/culture having more creativity and intrinsic entertainment value than sports....it can go on and on.

As a teacher, it's a common argument about how much is enough.

Teachers are greedy bastards destroying the country. No teachers anywhere should have health care!!!!!

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 09:30 PM)
The other problem is you're losing those potential generations of future fans...going to baseball games is a habit, the shared memories of going with your father or grandfather to the game. Once you lose a loyal customer after so many years, it's 10X harder to get them back in the fold.

If you give up your tickets...a lot of people are finding new hobbies and interests, or they're simply just trying to survive financially. Just not as much time for sports/entertainment spending.

That's a good point. The article I read about the Knicks was exactly about that. A lot of those people know just about everyone in their section because they have all had tickets for so long.

I would venture to guess someone who goes to 50 baseball games a year then gives up their tickets because of cost probably finds something else to do with their time, and finds going to 4 or 5 games a year satisfying. We have full season tickets but probably go to less than half the games now. It used to be at least 65-70. With HDTV, slow zones on the red line, $7.25 beers plus tip, sometimes its nice to get the grill going, a case of beer and have my buddy come over or I go over to his place and imitate Hawk all game long. Our wives are always amazed we say what Hawk will say just before he says it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 10:38 PM)
That's a good point. The article I read about the Knicks was exactly about that. A lot of those people know just about everyone in their section because they have all had tickets for so long.

I would venture to guess someone who goes to 50 baseball games a year then gives up their tickets because of cost probably finds something else to do with their time, and finds going to 4 or 5 games a year satisfying. We have full season tickets but probably go to less than half the games now. It used to be at least 65-70. With HDTV, slow zones on the red line, $7.25 beers plus tip, sometimes its nice to get the grill going, a case of beer and have my buddy come over or I go over to his place and imitate Hawk all game long. Our wives are always amazed we say what Hawk will say just before he says it.

Remember, they're making money from you at each of those steps. Even if you just go to a couple games a year and watch others.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 09:35 PM)
And yet, AAccording to Forbes the white sox took home $25 million in profit last year. Then, when they went all in, they conveniently raised salary by exactly the amount Forbes said they earned in profit last year.

What did they do with the profit Forbes said they made previous seasons?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 09:37 PM)
Teachers are greedy bastards destroying the country. No teachers anywhere should have health care!!!!!

I had a good health care package in Kansas City, but a lot of my fellow teachers were spending an additional $400-500 to cover their spouses and children.

I'm not going to get into the whole Wisconsin fiasco here, I'll just say I have great health coverage from my international school in China. When I had kidney stones, I think I paid something like $75 total for two ultrasounds, an ambulance (well, it's more like a long jeep), all my meds, 2-3 consults with doctors before they could diagnose correctly because they were so small (and PAINFUL!!!)....morphine/IV drip at hospital, etc.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 09:40 PM)
Remember, they're making money from you at each of those steps. Even if you just go to a couple games a year and watch others.

Minimal from watching on TV compared with going to a game especially considering my days as a Neilson family are ova.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 10:40 PM)

This is a private ownership group so it's impossible for us to know how much each owner put in the bank from a year like that. But it's safe to say that the teams owners aren't hurting. the franchises that actually get in trouble have major issues. The Mets might owe the Madoff prosecutor a billion dollars. McCourt had to lose a couple hundred million to his wife to get in hot water. Texas had to owe arod $250 million.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 10:42 PM)
Minimal from watching on TV compared with going to a game especially considering my days as a Neilson family are ova.

They really don't need neilsen boxes any more to get accurate data.

The real new money these days in MLB is these cable networks.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 09:40 PM)

It will be interesting to see what happens after the owners get all the cash from the new television deal flowing into their coffers.

Slowly but surely, attendance/parking/concessions revenue is shrinking in importance, becoming a smaller and smaller piece of the pie. Which is why the White Sox will always be "okay" as long as they're drawing at least 20,000 per game.

It will be especially hard for the owners to cry poor in the face of all the economic evidence to the contrary.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 09:43 PM)
This is a private ownership group so it's impossible for us to know how much each owner put in the bank from a year like that. But it's safe to say that the teams owners aren't hurting. the franchises that actually get in trouble have major issues. The Mets might owe the Madoff prosecutor a billion dollars. McCourt had to lose a couple hundred million to his wife to get in hot water. Texas had to owe arod $250 million.

Don't forget the atrocious deals for Juan Pierre, Andruw Jones and Manny Ramirez...they've impacted the Dodgers as much as anything else.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 10:50 PM)
Don't forget the atrocious deals for Juan Pierre, Andruw Jones and Manny Ramirez...they've impacted the Dodgers as much as anything else.

... but enough about the White Sox

Though I loved Jones.

Edited by MattZakrowski

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 10:50 PM)

None of those would matter if he didn't immediately have to come up with several hundred million.

The problem for these guys is liquid assets. They don't just have hundreds of millions sitting there in the bank, most of it comes in and moves out.