Marlins interested in Ozzie Guillen (again)

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 19, 2011 -> 02:12 PM)
It's in the catch-all but this deserved it's own thread. It didn't work out last time but maybe we can now work out a deal with them. If not now, then during the offseason. Let's all hope together.

Well Edwin Rodriguez just quit today so...

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here you go Greg...I'm sure there are many other possibilities

Joey Cora

Joe McEwing

Bobby Valentine

Buddy Bell

Sandy Alomar Jr.

Dave Martinez

Red Sox bench coach DeMarlo Hale

Giants bench coach Ron Wotus

Don Cooper

Robin Ventura

Ryne Sandberg

Omar Vizquel

Scott Ullger (Twins' 3B coach)

Ron Kittle

Steve Stone

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 19, 2011 -> 01:56 PM)
Sox are one good losing streak away from being 10 under and getting Ozzie fired now. Especially with the Marlins wanting him. Things can go downhill in a hurry.

Thing is, KW deserves the axe just as much.

Well if they're one good losing streak away from being 10 under, it means they're one good winning streak away from being .500.

They aren't going to fire Ozzie during the season. I don't recall how they handled the Bevington firing, but I know they waited until after the season to fire Manuel. I think the last manager they fired during the season was Lamont. That was like 15 years ago.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 19, 2011 -> 05:07 PM)
Well if they're one good losing streak away from being 10 under, it means they're one good winning streak away from being .500.

It'd be really nice to see a winning streak here. Or heck, I'd settle for either streak. At least we'd know.

I still don't get why everyone is so hot to get rid of a guy who has averaged about 86 wins a year,won a WS, and had 1 bad year out of 7, for guys like Dave Martinez. If OG fails with this team then there may be some merit to the talk but the season isn't even 1/2 way over yet. Let me know when Martinez and Alomar have 10 wins in the ML much less a .525 win% and over 600 wins.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jun 19, 2011 -> 11:14 PM)
I still don't get why everyone is so hot to get rid of a guy who has averaged about 86 wins a year,won a WS, and had 1 bad year out of 7, for guys like Dave Martinez. If OG fails with this team then there may be some merit to the talk but the season isn't even 1/2 way over yet. Let me know when Martinez and Alomar have 10 wins in the ML much less a .525 win% and over 600 wins.

Cause Ozzie is old news. He's been here a long time and people are tired of him. They don't like the fact he calls for the bunt once in a while as all managers do. And they are mad he plays Pierre this year and Kotsay before that.

His credentials, however, guarantee he'll have a managing job somewhere until he decides to take up golf everyday.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 19, 2011 -> 06:38 PM)
Cause Ozzie is old news. He's been here a long time and people are tired of him. They don't like the fact he calls for the bunt once in a while as all managers do. And they are mad he plays Pierre this year and Kotsay before that.

His credentials, however, guarantee he'll have a managing job somewhere until he decides to take up golf everyday.

Greg, your "once in a while" comment is going to get you lambasted by the real statistics and our abysmal success percentage in those situations.

This is like the two camps fighting over Greg Walker for years now. Well, the first place Cleveland Indians fired their hitting coach after a stretch where they hit as well as we did against the same dominant starting pitching from mid-April through the beginning of May.

I guess that will be something of a case study for mid-season changes in the coaching staff. Although a managerial change like Geren or Gonzalez is more significant...but I read where six different hitting or pitching coaches have been fired/resigned in the last couple of weeks.

Do you honestly believe Ozzie Guillen is still the best possible manager to maximize the potential of this White Sox team? Let's put it this way....would you wager your house that Ozzie would win the division against my house if I could have anyone not currently managing a major league team as Ozzie's replacement? Of course, there's no way to "prove" (besides computer simulation programs) what would happen if we did have a new manager. And, just to make you happy, I'll remove Torre from my list.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 12:16 AM)
Greg, your "once in a while" comment is going to get you lambasted by the real statistics and our abysmal success percentage in those situations.

This is like the two camps fighting over Greg Walker for years now. Well, the first place Cleveland Indians fired their hitting coach after a stretch where they hit as well as we did against the same dominant starting pitching from mid-April through the beginning of May.

I guess that will be something of a case study for mid-season changes in the coaching staff. Although a managerial change like Geren or Gonzalez is more significant...but I read where six different hitting or pitching coaches have been fired/resigned in the last couple of weeks.

Do you honestly believe Ozzie Guillen is still the best possible manager to maximize the potential of this White Sox team? Let's put it this way....would you wager your house that Ozzie would win the division against my house if I could have anyone not currently managing a major league team as Ozzie's replacement? Of course, there's no way to "prove" (besides computer simulation programs) what would happen if we did have a new manager. And, just to make you happy, I'll remove Torre from my list.

In answer to your question, I think Ozzie is as good as any possible manager the Sox hire to replace him.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 19, 2011 -> 08:43 PM)
In answer to your question, I think Ozzie is as good as any possible manager the Sox hire to replace him.

Are you bipolar? At least try and be consistent. You've been shouting for weeks that Ozzie/KW need to be fired. Now Ozzie is as good as any possible manager we could replace him with? Then we're more f***ed than I could possibly have imagined.

Edited by Jordan4life

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,5775992.story

Your morning Phil: Ozzie, Big Z, Kuhn

By Phil Rogers Tribune reporter

11:46 a.m. CDT, June 20, 2011

Talking baseball while looking forward to the 2012 Ryder Cup at Medinah, with Rory McIlroy in the Tiger Woods role:

Sparky Anderson won four pennants and two World Series in nine years with the Cincinnati Reds, but he got fired after an aging team finished second to the Dodgers in consecutive years. Johnny Bench questioned his leadership, general manager Dick Wagner wanted Sparky to “shake up’’ his coaching staff, one thing led to another and he was out on his opinionated rump.

Nothing lasts forever, which is why it’s impossible not to wonder if Ozzie Guillen is going to manage the Chicago White Sox or the Florida Marlins in 2012.

Since his first year on the job, I’ve been a big believer in Guillen’s managerial skills. He’s a baseball savant, with an intelligence level that is off the charts, if generally obscured by his running commentary on anything and everything. The irony is that a long time ago I started comparing Guillen to Anderson, saying that I could see him as this generation’s Sparky, having a long run with the White Sox and then going somewhere else for another long run, just as Anderson moved on from Cincinnati to win the 1984 World Series with Detroit.

Guillen would prefer to do his first 20 years all with the White Sox, of course. He loves the organization, especially Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf. He has hundreds, if not thousands, of friends who mean something to him in Chicago. He’s got a contract that takes him through 2012.

But … you can’t ignore the fact this has been a third consecutive disappointing season for the White Sox, the level of disappointment seemingly growing along with the payroll, and that the Marlins seem intent to keep the manager’s seat open for him. He and Bobby Valentine are clearly the two guys who owner Jeffrey Loria envisions as the manager next season, when a gorgeous stadium opens near downtown Miami.

Loria was aggressive enough to approach Reinsdorf about talking to Guillen last season, balking only when Reinsdorf said the price to talk to him was rising outfield prospect Logan Morrison, a thumper with 30-homer potential. Will Loria call again after Jack McKeon completes the 2011 season in an office that belonged to Edwin Rodriguez until Sunday? Will he see Guillen as an even swap for another top prospect?

With Ken Williams involved, nothing should be viewed as out of the question, including some crazy, multi-player package that would wind up bringing Hanley Ramirez to Chicago and sending Jake Peavy or another big-ticket player to Florida. The timeline feels right for the Guillen era to end in Chicago, and another one to begin in Florida. I hope I’m wrong about that. Ozzie’s a good manager. But the lesson from Sparky Anderson is this: Nothing lasts forever in baseball, even for successful managers.