Robin Ventura...Hall of Famer??

maggsmaggs

Okay, let me preface this topic by saying I don't actually think he should be in the HOF, I think he falls into that just-short category. But after looking at his numbers a little closer, he certainly needs to be in the discussion. And you really never hear his name associated with the HOF, but if people are clamoring for Johnny Damon to be in the Hall of Fame (which I have heard on ESPN recently). Robin certainly deserves to be in that conversation, too. Take a look at these statistics:

WAR (rank among ML 3rd basemen)

1991: 4th

1992: 2nd

1993: 2nd

1994: 5th

1995: 2nd

1996: 4th

1997: Injured all year (only played 56 games)

1998: 4th

1999: 1st (first season with Mets) -- after 1999, his numbers are up and down.

These rankings are with guys like Sheffield and Thome at third base when really those guys were poor fielders. So Robin was arguably the best third baseman in baseball during the 1990s. Not only was he a terrific hitter, but he was the top fielder in his era at third base and never was associated with steroids. He ranks 21st all-time in WAR as a third baseman. He ranks third in 90-plus RBI seasons from a third baseman and 10th in slugging all-time as a third baseman. Fielding-wise, he is fourth all-time in Gold Gloves by a third baseman.

If Johnny Damon and his 45.4 WAR is being mentioned as a HOF player, then Robin with his 61.2 WAR should be too. My premise is that the HOF should be based on position relatively and not on just total statistics. Obviously, his career statistics are not overly impressive, but when compared to others at his position, they become quite impressive.

Thoughts? I was watching the College World Series just now and Robin is broadcasting, so it really just hit me to look up his career statistics. As a result, I was quite surprised by how prolific a career he had despite a horrific ankle/leg injury in 1997. I guess during his prime, I was too young to fully appreciate him.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 19, 2011 -> 01:27 PM)
Johnny Damon is clearly not a hall of fame player.

I don't disagree at all. He has been named to two All-Star games, but my point is if people are saying Damon is a HOF-caliber player, then Ventura should be talked about just as much, if not more. And overall, Robin's numbers should put him in the conversation since he was one of the era's best third basemen.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 19, 2011 -> 02:30 PM)
I don't disagree at all. He has been named to two All-Star games, but my point is if people are saying Damon is a HOF-caliber player, then Ventura should be talked about just as much, if not more.

And my point is...if people are saying that about Johnny Damon...that makes them wrong.

Similarly, if people are saying Robin Ventura is a hall of famer, that also makes them wrong.

2 time all-star, 6 gold gloves. He had a great career but I just don't see how he can be a Hall of Famer. He's south of 300 homers and 2000 hits even. One of my favorite players ever so he'll be a Hall of Famer to me, but not a Cooperstown Hall of Famer.

I remember a few things about Robin. First, his terrible start -- can't remember the stat, but I think he was 0 for 20 something. I saw the hit that snapped it, a single up the middle that had eyes. After that he was fine. I can't remember the details of his beef with Mgr. Bevington, and he certainly wanted out of Chicago, which I never did understand. His last year with Sox was 1998, the year of the White Flag trade with Giants. There were rumors that Robin was also to be traded, but the media and fans were loudly against that. He stayed, then left via free agency. Lots of big home runs, and he has that college record for consecutive games with a hit. Not up to standard of Brooks and Schmidt for HOF consideration. I would expect Santo would go before Robin.

When he joined Sox, Walt Hnirak (spelling??) was hitting coach, and he changed Robin's swing. I never was convinced this was called for -- Robin had such a great, natural swing. Top hand would come off all the time. I'm interested to see what some of you guys think about that.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 19, 2011 -> 06:59 PM)
I remember a few things about Robin. First, his terrible start -- can't remember the stat, but I think he was 0 for 20 something. I saw the hit that snapped it, a single up the middle that had eyes. After that he was fine. I can't remember the details of his beef with Mgr. Bevington, and he certainly wanted out of Chicago, which I never did understand. His last year with Sox was 1998, the year of the White Flag trade with Giants. There were rumors that Robin was also to be traded, but the media and fans were loudly against that. He stayed, then left via free agency. Lots of big home runs, and he has that college record for consecutive games with a hit. Not up to standard of Brooks and Schmidt for HOF consideration. I would expect Santo would go before Robin.

0 for 43

White flag deal was in 1997

Edited by JoshPR

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 19, 2011 -> 09:53 PM)
.305 BA 1532 R 2552 H 443 HR 1531 RBI 148 SB .938 OPS - 18 seasons

.267 BA 1006 R 1885 H 294 HR 1182 RBI 24 SB .806 OPS - 16 seasons

Player A is more likely a HOF than player B.

Position and quality of defense matter...

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Jun 19, 2011 -> 08:55 PM)
Position and quality of defense matter...

A is definitely Chipper, but like I said in my post, I don't think Robin is actually a HOF, but he is much closer than people give him credit for.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 19, 2011 -> 04:55 PM)
When he joined Sox, Walt Hnirak (spelling??) was hitting coach, and he changed Robin's swing. I never was convinced this was called for -- Robin had such a great, natural swing. Top hand would come off all the time. I'm interested to see what some of you guys think about that.

Hriniak. I have no idea how he changed Robin but Robin had a nice career so can't argue with the results. Hriniak built his reputation with the Red Sox and Ted Williams criticized his methods saying it robbed hitters of power. Frank Thomas trusted Hriniak and always turned to him when he hit a funk.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 19, 2011 -> 10:00 PM)
A is definitely Chipper, but like I said in my post, I don't think Robin is actually a HOF, but he is much closer than people give him credit for.

Chipper is almost twice the player that Ventura was.

1 MVP 6 AS 210 errors at 3B

2 AS 6 GG 220 errors at 3B