Robin Ventura...Hall of Famer??

maggsmaggs

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 19, 2011 -> 10:09 PM)
Chipper is almost twice the player that Ventura was.

1 MVP 6 AS 210 errors at 3B

2 AS 6 GG 220 errors at 3B

Frank Thomas only went to five All-Star games, too, though, so All-Star games is sometimes a poor indicator. Chipper though is the best 3B since Brett, so not only is Chipper a HOF, he is the elite of the elite. A-should-be first ballot HOFer.

Edited by maggsmaggs

How about this then?

Here's a yardstick for you.

.277 BA 1138 R 2254 H 342 HR 1331 RBI 35 SB .826 OPS

14 seasons 9 AS 6 GG 317 ERR

versus Ventura

.267 BA 1006 R 1885 H 294 HR 1182 RBI 24 SB .806 OPS

16 seasons 2 AS 6 GG 220 ERR

Player A is not in the Hall.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 19, 2011 -> 11:10 PM)
How about this then?

Here's a yardstick for you.

.277 BA 1138 R 2254 H 342 HR 1331 RBI 35 SB .826 OPS

14 seasons 9 AS 6 GG 317 ERR

versus Ventura

.267 BA 1006 R 1885 H 294 HR 1182 RBI 24 SB .806 OPS

16 seasons 2 AS 6 GG 220 ERR

Player A is not in the Hall.

I know Santo isn't the most popular guy in these parts, but when you consider the era he played in, Ron should be in the HOF.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 02:49 PM)
I think Omar should be in actually

I'm torn on Omar. His offensive stats seem to be lacking a bit, but compared to Ozzie Smith, he's right there with him and was on a similar level defensively. I don't think he'll get the necessary at-bats to get 3000 hits, as he's 175 away.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 04:06 PM)
I'm torn on Omar. His offensive stats seem to be lacking a bit, but compared to Ozzie Smith, he's right there with him and was on a similar level defensively. I don't think he'll get the necessary at-bats to get 3000 hits, as he's 175 away.

His offensive numbers are actually better than Ozzie and he has the highest fielding percentage of any shortstop ever for a career. If Ozzie is in, Omar should be in.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 03:14 PM)
Omar is definitely in.

Really? I'm not a hater, and could see him going both ways, but I don't think he has the counting stats to make the voters care about him. The almost 3,000 hits thing is way diluted by him playing like 35 seasons or whatever. At the very least, I'm not buying that he's "definitely in."

I agree though, that he is statistically superior to Ozzie Smith. Never really saw Ozzie play, so there might be some intangible attachment there that I don't understand, but Omar has a better case than Ozzie.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 04:54 PM)
Really? I'm not a hater, and could see him going both ways, but I don't think he has the counting stats to make the voters care about him. The almost 3,000 hits thing is way diluted by him playing like 35 seasons or whatever. At the very least, I'm not buying that he's "definitely in."

I agree though, that he is statistically superior to Ozzie Smith. Never really saw Ozzie play, so there might be some intangible attachment there that I don't understand, but Omar has a better case than Ozzie.

He has a wife.

Robin is one of my all time favs, but no way.

Same with Paulie. Same with Baines.

Omar will make it. Thome maybe, only because his will be a "clean" 500 HRs.

Looking forward to going to see the Big Hurt's plaque. There was a feature in the Tribune Travel section Sunday on Cooperstown that got me psyched.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 09:13 AM)
I know Santo isn't the most popular guy in these parts, but when you consider the era he played in, Ron should be in the HOF.

I have backed Santo's election for years. I don't care what uniform he wore, the guy was damn good.