Sox "trying to get a return on investment"

Real

I'll keep this brief as there isn't a whole lot to say.

I texted in to the postgame last night after Rongey kept telling a caller that Pierre plays everyday because the Sox are trying to get some sort of return (in terms of offense, I guess)

I heard this and immediately had a WTF moment

How horrible is Teahen in LF compared to Pierre? I cant believe he's worse to the point that you keep a 3m investment whom is less likely to have a decent WAR on the field instead of somebody who costs you 4.75m and 5.5m next year, who can actuallt provide some pop from the left side

Summary: Leadoff Ramirez or Rios, Teahen in LF, Pierre rides pine. Assuming the Sox want a "return on their investment".

Or, its all bulls*** and Ozzie just loves this national league slappy grinder garbage

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you buy $5000 worth of stock that you realize is going into the toilet and probably won't recover, do you:

a) try to get rid of it as fast as possible, to cut your losses

b) hold onto the stock while it plummets closer and closer to $0 because you're waiting for a "return on your investment"

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 06:15 PM)
When you buy $5000 worth of stock that you realize is going into the toilet and probably won't recover, do you:

b) hold onto the stock while it plummets closer and closer to $0 because you're waiting for a "return on your investment"

Sunk cost. 90% of the world understands it. The White Sox do not.

EDIT: Although I don't believe they actually have that mindset. I'm fairly confident that Pierre continues to get starts because he's the type of player that Ozzie likes. This is just Rongey's (the organization's, really) way of deflecting that and giving it a more "reasonable" cause. They've shown little tendency or desire to maximize player contracts recently (signing and benching Teahen, Manny pick-up for a month, the Peavy/Rios acquisitions to an extent, etc.).

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 07:16 PM)

Also the 90% of those people usually don't have someone to back them up with a fresh $5000 to start over with

btw, Rongey texted me back his response last night

TheScore: That would be more likely than just cutting Pierre and eating his salary.

TheScore: But they'd still rather have him at 3rd than in the OF

So as you can see he couldnt correlate his prior reasoning "$3,000,000=Gonna play as a starter" to my "Why isnt the $4,750,000 playing if thats your logic?"

Edited by Real

The funny thing is 90% of people don't sell hoping their stock recovers.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 07:25 PM)
The funny thing is 90% of people don't sell hoping their stock recovers.

lol. Yeah. Everybody knows what they're "supposed" to do in that situation until it's happening I guess.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 06:38 PM)
lol. Yeah. Everybody knows what they're "supposed" to do in that situation until it's happening I guess.

I can't tell you how many times I have seen people ride out stupid trades and turn them into margin calls, or worse.

QUOTE (Real @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 05:49 PM)

I texted in to the postgame last night after Rongey kept telling a caller that Pierre plays everyday because the Sox are trying to get some sort of return (in terms of offense, I guess)

How horrible is Teahen in LF compared to Pierre? I cant believe he's worse to the point that you keep a 3m investment whom is less likely to have a decent WAR on the field instead of somebody who costs you 4.75m and 5.5m next year, who can actuallt provide some pop from the left side

Summary: Leadoff Ramirez or Rios, Teahen in LF, Pierre rides pine. Assuming the Sox want a "return on their investment".

Or, its all bulls*** and Ozzie just loves this national league slappy grinder garbage

And that is precisely why I was so vehement with Rongey. It's a garbage argument. The Sox are trying to win, period, after all they are "all in." Juan Pierre inhibits this goal in a major way.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 07:48 PM)
I can't tell you how many times I have seen people ride out stupid trades and turn them into margin calls, or worse.

Ive lost 30 straight bets at roulette, the next one that comes up will be a winner!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 06:48 PM)

Or in the futures business if someone is on call and has one trade making money and one losing money, if they have to liquidate one, most of the time the amateurs unload the good trade because they don't want to admit they were wrong. Usually they will wind up having to liquidate the other trade as it keeps going against them.

Which is exactly what Ranger is suggesting the Sox are doing with Pierre, although I don't know if that's exactly true. I really believe at least Ozzie feels Juan has something left. I don't buy it has anything to do with the money owed. I was listening to Ranger and the callers on my way to see my dad yesterday and no one mentioned to Ranger that the Sox are paying Viciedo, also gave him a $5 million bonus, don't they want a return on that investment?

Edited by Dick Allen

If you have hung on too long, it does get to the point you might as well keep it, but the Sox have other options. If it were only a guy like Jordan Danks or De Aza, sure you keep Pierre around, but the team is offensively challenged and Viciedo can rake. The other argument Ranger had was it was one hitter, and one hitter wouldn't make that much difference.

I think Ranger is smarter than this, but disagreeing with the way the White Sox are handling things probably wouldn't be a good career move for him.

QUOTE (Real @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 05:49 PM)

I was listening to that. Rongey was being a jackass.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 06:52 PM)
And that is precisely why I was so vehement with Rongey. It's a garbage argument. The Sox are trying to win, period, after all they are "all in." Juan Pierre inhibits this goal in a major way.

Are you Terry? If you are, you were really good yesterday.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 09:15 PM)
If you have hung on too long, it does get to the point you might as well keep it, but the Sox have other options. If it were only a guy like Jordan Danks or De Aza, sure you keep Pierre around, but the team is offensively challenged and Viciedo can rake. The other argument Ranger had was it was one hitter, and one hitter wouldn't make that much difference.

I think Ranger is smarter than this, but disagreeing with the way the White Sox are handling things probably wouldn't be a good career move for him.

Just metaphorically speaking... y'all get my point

Ranger should go on the radio and trash the entire organization like any other passionate fan. Who cares about tomorrow when the sky is falling right f***ing now!!!!

But Milkman is right. The corn is in the crapper, just flush and move on. We don't owe him anything beyond this year, and even if he were playing decently he still wouldn't be worth a s*** in trade since he won't bring a pick back and no one would offer arb on his old Dodgers contract. The Sox reasoning is retarded (there's something new), but Ranger is just doing his job.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 06:16 PM)

EDIT: Although I don't believe they actually have that mindset. I'm fairly confident that Pierre continues to get starts because he's the type of player that Ozzie likes. This is just Rongey's (the organization's, really) way of deflecting that and giving it a more "reasonable" cause. They've shown little tendency or desire to maximize player contracts recently (signing and benching Teahen, Manny pick-up for a month, the Peavy/Rios acquisitions to an extent, etc.).

I think you've hit the nail right on the head here. He's Jerry Owens. He's Dewayne Wise. He's Pablo Ozuna and Timo Perez and Darin Erstad. He's got the blood of Rob Mackowiak coursing through his veins. Ozzie does stupid s*** all the time and Kenny just backs off or backs him up -- and BTW that's the real problem with that whole relationship, not that they fight, but that they just simply don't seem to complement each other's strengths or cover each other's weaknesses anymore.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 09:42 PM)
I tend to agree with Rongey on this. You see it in other sports. There's no logic in the economic world of sports, especially baseball.

I'm going to bundle Juan pierres performance and sell it off as a grade AAA investment then take out credit default insurance to bet against it. The goveremt will then step in to cover my losses on Pierre and I'll come out a zillionaire.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 08:47 PM)
I'm going to bundle Juan pierres performance and sell it off as a grade AAA investment then take out credit default insurance to bet against it. The goveremt will then step in to cover my losses on Pierre and I'll come out a zillionaire.

you would have just made some quick cash. ground out to end the game.

Haha that show was awful yesterday. I texted Rongey a few things. Got no response of course. Then I told him that "J Hood was on the other station and I could not listen to him argue with himself anymore". He replied back: "TheScore:Later". Pretty good stuff. I get a kick out of it. He's a Cardinals fan anyway. He doesn't care.