Konerko trade question

whitesoxbrian

If the Sox continue to play poorly and are 8+ out at the deadline, would you guys be content with dealing PK? I know he probably wouldn't want to go and he's hitting like Babe f***ing Ruth, but what if they could get 2 (maybe 3) of the following 4 from Atlanta: Freeman, Minor, Delgado, Teheran? Or what about to the Yankees for a package around Montero?

Also, this would probably mean dealing Danks and Buehrle as well.

I'm not in favor of any of this, but I was just curious. Atlanta can really pitch but their hitting isn't all there, and NY could use him and Tex as a platoon at 1B/DH.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 03:19 AM)
If the Sox continue to play poorly and are 8+ out at the deadline, would you guys be content with dealing PK? I know he probably wouldn't want to go and he's hitting like Babe f***ing Ruth, but what if they could get 2 (maybe 3) of the following 4 from Atlanta: Freeman, Minor, Delgado, Teheran? Or what about to the Yankees for a package around Montero?

I'm not in favor of any of this, but I was just curious. Atlanta can really pitch but their hitting isn't all there, and NY could use him and Tex as a platoon at 1B/DH.

I'd rather get rid of all the clowns. You know the names.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 04:19 AM)

Uh-oh, you had to go and do this. But to answer your question, I would say that if you can get an unbelievable package in return, by all means yes. In this day and age though, most organizations are very protective of their young talent.

These days, managing payroll is just as important as winning. But your thought process is correct. We desperately need to rebuild this organization and we are not going to do it by trading away our garbage (Pierre, Teahen and Rios).

Edited by chisoxt

QUOTE (chisoxt @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 03:27 AM)
Uh-oh, you had to go and do this. But to answer your question, I would say that if you can get an unbelievable package in return, by all means yes. In this day and age though, most organizations are very protective of their young talent.

These days, managing payroll is just as important as winning. But your thought process is correct. We desperately need to rebuild this organization and we are not going to do it by trading away our garbage (Pierre, Teahen and Rios).

I disagree. Keeping the garbage keeps the team garbage.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 04:31 AM)
I disagree. Keeping the garbage keeps the team garbage.

Fine, but A, don't expect to get anything in return and B, expect to eat a lot in salary. Kenny is really good at "A" and not so good at "B".

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 10:19 PM)

They cannot even cut Pierre.......PK will NOT be traded under this contract.

QUOTE (chisoxt @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 03:33 AM)
Fine, but A, don't expect to get anything in return and B, expect to eat a lot in salary. Kenny is really good at "A" and not so good at "B".

He better get creative cause this team blows.

QUOTE (chisoxt @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 09:27 PM)

When I think of rebuilding this organization it means get better scouting and coaching.

If the Sox do sell off, you have to imagine Pauly at the top of the list of players teams will want. If the Sox were smart they would try to package PK with one of the bad contracts (Peavy or Rios) to blow a hole in the payroll, ala Florida with the Cabrera/Willis.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 07:42 AM)
If the Sox do sell off, you have to imagine Pauly at the top of the list of players teams will want. If the Sox were smart they would try to package PK with one of the bad contracts (Peavy or Rios) to blow a hole in the payroll, ala Florida with the Cabrera/Willis.

Um, what? Konerko may be good, but he's not in the same world as Cabrera and is old as f***. No one is going to take on Rios or Peavy's contract just to get Konerko. If you move Konerko, you take the best prospects available. Outside of a huge package, I'd be hesitant to move him though, since I think with a few personal changes and a new manager we can compete in 2012.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 08:51 AM)
Um, what? Konerko may be good, but he's not in the same world as Cabrera and is old as f***. No one is going to take on Rios or Peavy's contract just to get Konerko. If you move Konerko, you take the best prospects available. Outside of a huge package, I'd be hesitant to move him though, since I think with a few personal changes and a new manager we can compete in 2012.

Yeah, this is correct. You take the best young players you can get for Konerko.

Peavy and Rios, unfortunately, are the guys you need to hold onto...they're your "Sunk cost" guys, guys who might be able to pull something together for you next year. If you wanted to trade Rios, last year in June was the only reasonable time.

What teams are there in the playoff hunt who could really use a multi-year RH hitting 1b?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 07:51 AM)

Freeing up their contracts is probably better than any prospects you would get for Konerko.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 09:27 AM)
Freeing up their contracts is probably better than any prospects you would get for Konerko.

How many teams would be willing and able to take on over $25 mil a year for the next 3 years? And how many of those teams have need of a power hitting 1b?

I hesitated to respond to this post, but what the heck. My response is you don't trade Paul Konerko. If we think of trading people think of what other teams might need to help themselves compete the rest of this season:

A thirdbaseman maybe = Mark Teahan who is fielding well but not playing eough to get back on track with the glove

An outfielder maybe = Juan Pierre, who seems to be slumping and taking the wrath of Sox fans and is holding up Dayan Viciedo.

A DH/IB/OF with a big contract like Adam Dunn, who just hasn't peformed at all. But Dunn has so much upside and later this season adn for sure in 2012 could be the big boper again. All we could hope for is some team takig hius salary and thinking he will benefit from a change of scenery

Pitching: A starter maybe? Edwin Jackson possibly

A relief pitcher? Maybe Tony Pena or Matt Thornton?

Not advocating any trade here, but you don't trade away your best player and give up when you are just 5 1/2 back

QUOTE (Cali @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 03:45 PM)
I honestly can't remember anyone who signed a big/big-ish contract/contract extension ever getting traded in the first year of said contract. Is that even allowed by baseball?

By baseball? Unless otherwise specified in the contract, yes. By PK? He can accept/reject any trade I believe.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 04:45 PM)
I honestly can't remember anyone who signed a big/big-ish contract/contract extension ever getting traded in the first year of said contract. Is that even allowed by baseball?

Usually after June 1, yes.

PK14 of course has full veto rights as a 10/5 player.