Konerko trade question

whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 10:19 PM)
If the Sox continue to play poorly and are 8+ out at the deadline, would you guys be content with dealing PK?

If he wants a trade I give it to him. If he's content playing with the other jokers on this roster, I'd rather keep him around as he's really the only f***ing reason to tune into this joke.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 03:35 PM)
I hesitated to respond to this post, but what the heck. My response is you don't trade Paul Konerko. If we think of trading people think of what other teams might need to help themselves compete the rest of this season:

A thirdbaseman maybe = Mark Teahan who is fielding well but not playing eough to get back on track with the glove

An outfielder maybe = Juan Pierre, who seems to be slumping and taking the wrath of Sox fans and is holding up Dayan Viciedo.

A DH/IB/OF with a big contract like Adam Dunn, who just hasn't peformed at all. But Dunn has so much upside and later this season adn for sure in 2012 could be the big boper again. All we could hope for is some team takig hius salary and thinking he will benefit from a change of scenery

Pitching: A starter maybe? Edwin Jackson possibly

A relief pitcher? Maybe Tony Pena or Matt Thornton?

Not advocating any trade here, but you don't trade away your best player and give up when you are just 5 1/2 back

It's astonishing how little you seem to know about both baseball and worth in general. Nobody WANTS those players. That's why you can't easily trade them if you decide you're out of it, but Konerko is a completely different case.

Edited by Milkman delivers

I hesitated to respond to this post, but what the heck. My response is you don't trade Paul Konerko. If we think of trading people think of what other teams might need to help themselves compete the rest of this season:

A thirdbaseman maybe = Mark Teahan who is fielding well but not playing eough to get back on track with the glove

An outfielder maybe = Juan Pierre, who seems to be slumping and taking the wrath of Sox fans and is holding up Dayan Viciedo.

A DH/IB/OF with a big contract like Adam Dunn, who just hasn't peformed at all. But Dunn has so much upside and later this season adn for sure in 2012 could be the big boper again. All we could hope for is some team takig hius salary and thinking he will benefit from a change of scenery

Not advocating any trade here, but you don't trade away your best player and give up when you are just 5 1/2 back

All I have to say is...w.h.a.t t.h.e h.e.l.l. i.s. t.h.i.s?

This is straight out of the "video game trade strategy" book.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 12:54 PM)
This is straight out of the "video game trade strategy" book.

That list of needs matches ours. Fans like to believe there's some naive GMs out there. It's not everyone of them trades Nick Swisher for nothing and aquires a Mark Teahan.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 10:21 PM)
This forum is more "what have ya done for me lately" than any sports related website I read.

Some might get upset in an individual at bat by Paulie, but for 2 years now he has been incredible.

He could go 0-for-20 and I guess some would bury him, but it's undeniable how good he's been.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 09:06 PM)
It's astonishing how little you seem to know about both baseball and worth in general. Nobody WANTS those players. That's why you can't easily trade them if you decide you're out of it, but Konerko is a completely different case.

You must be sloshing around in your milk(man). I am getting a bit tired of your comments about what me or other posters think or know about baseball. You have no idea what other teams want or don't want. So I guess getting these types of responses from you are a compliment. :headbang :lol:

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 06:49 PM)
You must be sloshing around in your milk(man). I am getting a bit tired of your comments about what me or other posters think or know about baseball. You have no idea what other teams want or don't want. So I guess getting these types of responses from you are a compliment. :headbang :lol:

That post was completely devoid of logic, no way around it.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 04:21 PM)
This forum is more "what have ya done for me lately" than any sports related website I read.

I don't agree. The posters here tend to harp on a guy for long after he has turned the corner, and even on days when that slumping player makes key plays to win the game. So even if a player has done well lately, posters tend to look at their failures from weeks and months passed.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 06:16 PM)
That list of needs matches ours. Fans like to believe there's some naive GMs out there. It's not everyone of them trades Nick Swisher for nothing and aquires a Mark Teahan.

Yeah, some of them trade for Freddy Garcia and then get nothing back. I don't see you talking s*** about Pat Gillick.

Pat Gillick has been quite a bit more successful in his ventures than Ken Williams has. My point does nothing but accentuate the fact that general managers, no matter the caliber, make dumb trades. Gillick gave up Gio Gonzalez and Gavin Floyd for Freddy Garcia. I'm sure that deal still pisses him off. He was able to recover.

I honestly can't think of a move right now in the past 10 1/2 months that Williams has made that has really pissed me off and made me say "Why?" Can you? There is only one move that he has not made that still leaves me scratching my head, but otherwise, it's on the players, coaches, and manager at this point.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 05:34 AM)
Yeah, some of them trade for Freddy Garcia and then get nothing back. I don't see you talking s*** about Pat Gillick.

Pat Gillick has been quite a bit more successful in his ventures than Ken Williams has. My point does nothing but accentuate the fact that general managers, no matter the caliber, make dumb trades. Gillick gave up Gio Gonzalez and Gavin Floyd for Freddy Garcia. I'm sure that deal still pisses him off. He was able to recover.

I honestly can't think of a move right now in the past 10 1/2 months that Williams has made that has really pissed me off and made me say "Why?" Can you? There is only one move that he has not made that still leaves me scratching my head, but otherwise, it's on the players, coaches, and manager at this point.

Pena over Jeff Gray? Haha.

I'm guessing you're referring to the ongoing "replace Pierre with Viciedo" movement?

Giving Guillen a contract extension through 2012?