Is Viciedo a top 100 prosect?

whitesoxbrian

FWIW, this site says no:

http://baseballinstinct.com/2011/06/14/top...in-2011-76-100/

To find 1-50 and 51-75, check on the right side of the page. Sale, according to these strokes, is the only White Sock in the top 100. Also, I'm pretty sure this was updated recently.

Am I the only one who thinks Viciedo is easily a top 40 prospect?

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 11:42 PM)
I'd assume it's an eligibility issue. He's no longer eligible to win rookie of the year, which is what a lot of publications use.

I hope that's the case, because otherwise it's just blatant disregard.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 11:42 PM)
I'd assume it's an eligibility issue. He's no longer eligible to win rookie of the year, which is what a lot of publications use.

It absolutely is. I've repeated it many times. Due to how long he was on 25 man last year his rookie eligibility has been used up and thus he isn't eligible for almost all the "Top Prospect" lists.

For reference:

Editor's note: To be eligible for the Top 50 list, players must have rookie eligibility. To qualify for rookie status, a player must not have exceeded 130 at-bats or 50 innings pitched in the Major Leagues, or accumulated more than 45 days on the active roster of a Major League club or clubs during the 25-player limit period, excluding time on the disabled list or in military service.)

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 12:20 AM)
Editor's note: To be eligible for the Top 50 list, players must have rookie eligibility. To qualify for rookie status, a player must not have exceeded 130 at-bats or 50 innings pitched in the Major Leagues, or accumulated more than 45 days on the active roster of a Major League club or clubs during the 25-player limit period, excluding time on the disabled list or in military service.)

I think that's the guideline most lists use. Viciedo only has 106 career plate appearances, though.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 02:25 PM)
I think the overall point though remains that Viciedo has been ignored by the mainstream prospect publications and reporters despite his success.

I think that the expectations coming in that he'd be Miguel Cabrera at 19 (sold by the people who signed him) play into that as well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 01:31 PM)
I think that the expectations coming in that he'd be Miguel Cabrera at 19 (sold by the people who signed him) play into that as well.

You are probably right, and since he didn't have huge success right away, the big guns (Callis, Law, others at BA) viewed him as a failure despite showing some serious potential.

On a pure hitting basis, he is probably one of the top 10 hitters in the minors. Now, he doesn't have a polished game like others in fielding, running and plate discipline, which makes him less of a prospect than many guys. But on potential as a hitter, he is just about as good as anyone out there sans maybe Harper.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 02:35 PM)
You are probably right, and since he didn't have huge success right away, the big guns (Callis, Law, others at BA) viewed him as a failure despite showing some serious potential.

On a pure hitting basis, he is probably one of the top 10 hitters in the minors. Now, he doesn't have a polished game like others in fielding, running and plate discipline, but on potential as a hitter, he is just about as good as anyone out there sans maybe Harper.

Also, the fact that OBP/walks are so important today and when he came in, that was a missing part of his game.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 01:36 PM)
Also, the fact that OBP/walks are so important today and when he came in, that was a missing part of his game.

which is odd logic IMO on those guys parts... he was in his early 20's, adjusting to a completely new country with a lot of money and things he's never experienced. His raw tools should have been evaluated and the OBP/walks should have been a concern, not the reason to completely dismiss him like some "experts" did.