To sell, or not to sell?

southsider2k5

This is a fascinating article. I'm curious what other people think... Would you sell the letter if you were in this situation, and should her race make a difference in her answer?

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/6073114-537/j...BTnGu8;facebook

Destiny Mathis has no regrets with her recent “presidential” decision, but she’s catching flak for it nonetheless, especially from her own black community.

I’m talking about her controversial decision to sell a personalized handwritten letter from President Barack Obama that she received in February. The president wrote to Mathis, a single mother of three, in response to a letter she wrote to the him last year explaining her hardships and struggles. She also expressed her concerns for the last two years of Obama’s rocky presidency.

“Thanks for the moving letter, and the support,” Obama wrote in cursive in black ink on White House stationery. “You have such a positive spirit — please know that things will get better for you and your family.” He signed the letter, “You inspire me and I’m rooting for you. God bless, Barack Obama.”

Mathis, who campaigned hard for Obama in 2008, has already been on multiple national media outlets with the news of her decision. All the attention has prompted an avalanche of criticism toward her, and her decision, especially those from the black community.

“Barack Obama is the first black president of the United States and you are selling a letter he wrote to you personally?!” asked one black reader on a national media blog. “What’s wrong with you?!”

Other people have slammed her for having three children and then being desperate enough to sell the prized letter, which seems to me to be more of a moral criticism than a political or cultural one.

Mathis made the admittedly difficult decision to sell the letter to avoid eviction from her Hobart apartment. She also is doing it to help protect her family’s future, she told me last week while I was on vacation.

I couldn’t let this issue slip by, though, without piping in because I believe this has broader implications than a single mother trying to support her family by any means possible.

She is hoping, and somewhat expecting, to receive $11,000 for the letter via a third-party broker who deals regularly with such historical items.

Moments in Time is the New York-based firm that buys and sells autographed or signed documents, manuscripts and photos of historical importance or from famous people, including U.S. presidents. And $11,000, the letter’s estimated cost based on similar items, is a lot of cash for a piece of paper.

“To me, presidents are nothing but commodities,” explained Moments in Time owner Gary Zimet, who as of Tuesday afternoon has not yet found a buyer for the letter.

The more pressing question to me is this: Would you make the same choice if you were in Mathis’ struggling situation? How about if you didn’t need the money as badly?

Obama supporters may say no regardless of the situation. Obama critics would probably say yes, simply to get rid of it for any amount.

But what if you are an Obama fan who’s also black, like Mathis? Doesn’t this have to factor in to your decision making at least a little? Cultural pressure possibly? Or is this strictly a money issue, whitewashed of any racial context?

“You know some whites are going to be negative anyway, but I am shocked that the blacks are being so angry,” said Mathis, a Facebook friend of mine who often writes edgy if not controversial posts about her own black community.

“I was on the radio yesterday and the blacks were calling in with the most negative comments,” she added. “I have been criticized a lot. The blogs are relentless.”

Surprised? I’m not. I expected it when she first told me about all this.

I asked you, so I also asked myself the same question: Would I sell that letter?

In a heartbeat.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 01:50 PM)
Might be worth more later on.

Don't see anything wrong with her selling it, though. Yeah, it's a cool item and it's pretty personal, but $11,000 to feed and clothe your kids is more important than a framed letter.

Pretty much what I was thinking. Taking care of your family is worth more by a longshot.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 02:50 PM)
Might be worth more later on.

Don't see anything wrong with her selling it, though. Yeah, it's a cool item and it's pretty personal, but $11,000 to feed and clothe your kids is more important than a framed letter.

Presumably, regardless of how much it would be worth later on, the value of the cash to the person doing the selling is highest right now, when avoid eviction.

If somebody was willing to give me $11,000 for a piece of paper I would sell it in an instant. Especially if I need the money to keep a roof over my head and food on the table.

Whether I am black, white, orange, purple, etc... shouldn't really matter.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 08:20 PM)
If somebody was willing to give me $11,000 for a piece of paper I would sell it in an instant. Especially if I need the money to keep a roof over my head and food on the table.

Whether I am black, white, orange, purple, etc... shouldn't really matter.

truth. A handwritten letter from a president would definitely be something I'd like to keep for my kids and kids kids, but if it meant even a year of tuition i'd probably sell it.

Personally, I'd set it on fire. I never would have gotten anything, actually, because I wouldn't have written him a letter for him to respond to in the first place. Especially not one complaining about my struggles. The government is not responsible for my personal struggles, and for the POTUS to promise a better life for me and my family is just silliness. It obviously didn't come true for this woman. We are responsible for our own successes and failures in life; our fates are not controlled by John Boehner or Barack Obama, but by ourselves alone. Additionally, I don't think this particular president would be inspired by a far-right, gun owning, American Soldier.

Race is irrelevant in this conversation. Why is it important that he's the first black president? Who cares? I'd vote for Allen West because I agree with the man, but I don't give a damn about a pre-determined biological trait. Race should be irrelevant in ANY conversation, and until it is, there will always be racism. I was talking to a white man sometime after Obama was elected, and he mentioned that he knew of a black man who voted for McCain and how that particular black man must be ashamed. I was baffled. How can you blame a man for formulating his own opinions and thinking for himself? I'd say the racist view would be to expect that man to simply follow the usual Democratic Party line that most blacks take, and to scorn him for thinking for himself. Regardless, the idea that anyone considers a president's race when deciding whom to vote for is ridiculous.

In other news, one time, in a moment of weakness, I shook Obama's hand. I still find that sort of embarassing. <_>

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 09:11 AM)
Personally, I'd set it on fire. I never would have gotten anything, actually, because I wouldn't have written him a letter for him to respond to in the first place. Especially not one complaining about my struggles. The government is not responsible for my personal struggles, and for the POTUS to promise a better life for me and my family is just silliness. It obviously didn't come true for this woman. We are responsible for our own successes and failures in life; our fates are not controlled by John Boehner or Barack Obama, but by ourselves alone. Additionally, I don't think this particular president would be inspired by a far-right, gun owning, American Soldier.

Race is irrelevant in this conversation. Why is it important that he's the first black president? Who cares? I'd vote for Allen West because I agree with the man, but I don't give a damn about a pre-determined biological trait. Race should be irrelevant in ANY conversation, and until it is, there will always be racism. I was talking to a white man sometime after Obama was elected, and he mentioned that he knew of a black man who voted for McCain and how that particular black man must be ashamed. I was baffled. How can you blame a man for formulating his own opinions and thinking for himself? I'd say the racist view would be to expect that man to simply follow the usual Democratic Party line that most blacks take, and to scorn him for thinking for himself. Regardless, the idea that anyone considers a president's race when deciding whom to vote for is ridiculous.

In other news, one time, in a moment of weakness, I shook Obama's hand. I still find that sort of embarassing. <_>

Wow, so a president can't feel sympathetic that a person is in bad shape financially, especially when there are children involved? It's not like he gave her money, he wrote them a personal letter. What a bastard. Im sure President Obama would have b**** slapped any soldier that wrote him a sympathetic letter.

And it's a weakness to shake the president's hand, yup. I don't care if your liberal, conservative, or whatever, meeting the President (of any political party) is an honor. You may not agree with him (hell that's part of being an American), but that doesn't mean you should be embarassed by shaking hands with him. That is shallow.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 09:20 AM)
Wow, so a president can't feel sympathetic that a person is in bad shape financially, especially when there are children involved? It's not like he gave her money, he wrote them a personal letter. What a bastard. Im sure President Obama would have b**** slapped any soldier that wrote him a sympathetic letter.

And it's a weakness to shake the president's hand, yup. I don't care if your liberal, conservative, or whatever, meeting the President (of any political party) is an honor. You may not agree with him (hell that's part of being an American), but that doesn't mean you should be embarassed by shaking hands with him. That is shallow.

Yeah no s***. And he/she would have personally set the letter on fire? That shows off a high level of intelligence....throwing out $11K out of spite. :lolhitting

Politics brings out a special kind of anger in some people. Trust me there are people in here I would imagine having the same sort of reaction to George W Bush.

As for me, I have never gotten the personal resentment that goes with the "other" party. Granted there are people I would seek out more than others, but I wouldn't pass up the chance to meet or receive personal correspondence from any President we have had so far.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 10:09 AM)
Politics brings out a special kind of anger in some people. Trust me there are people in here I would imagine having the same sort of reaction to George W Bush.

As for me, I have never gotten the personal resentment that goes with the "other" party. Granted there are people I would seek out more than others, but I wouldn't pass up the chance to meet or receive personal correspondence from any President we have had so far.

Definitely in agreement with you.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 11:09 AM)

Would people pay for a Bush autograph?

I didn't meet him. I shook his hand. In a bored college moment of "let's go and watch famous people talk", I went to a speech he was giving on campus. I was towards the front, and at the end of the speech, I moved close enough, stuck out my hand, and he shook it. And looking back on it, I find it shameful. I never supported the man. So why was I there? Why did I move up to him to be in his greeting line? Why did I act like some fawning idiot for a man I never even liked? I fell victim to the same sort of celebrity love and admiration that I claim to hate so much, and it disgusts me.

And forgive me, but the burning statement was probably hyperbole. An attempt to make a strong opening statement, if you will. Would I burn it? I don't know. I'll never know, because I'll never do anything that merits this particular president sending me heartfelt correspondence. I certainly don't understand why anyone would pay $11,000 for something like that. Personally, I love Reagan (surprise!) but I wouldn't give three months pay for a personal letter he wrote to someone else. That's just silly.

I am angry about this whole thing to be honest. America succumbed to the superficial charm of someone who doesn't represent her values. Someone who has spent most of his reign trying to subvert the Constitution of the United States and rule by executive fiat (how about the ICE memo to implement "prosecutorial discretion" towards illegal immigrants who have attended college or served in the military? That's the DREAM Act, something long rejected by Congress. Or his far expanded use of czars not approved by the Senate). Someone who bows to our enemies (the Saudi King, for one) and tries to apologize for our status as the greatest nation on Earth (the New Beginning speech in Cairo and his speech to the UN Assembly apologizing for our "arrogance"). Someone who insults swaths of the American public (the "bitter clingers" quote and his recent gaffe by confusing Medal of Honor winners SFC Monti and SSG Giunta).

This behavior disappoints me. We deserve better.

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 01:25 PM)
I am angry about this whole thing to be honest. America succumbed to the superficial charm of someone who doesn't represent her values. Someone who has spent most of his reign trying to subvert the Constitution of the United States and rule by executive fiat (how about the ICE memo to implement "prosecutorial discretion" towards illegal immigrants who have attended college or served in the military? That's the DREAM Act, something long rejected by Congress. Or his far expanded use of czars not approved by the Senate). Someone who bows to our enemies (the Saudi King, for one) and tries to apologize for our status as the greatest nation on Earth (the New Beginning speech in Cairo and his speech to the UN Assembly apologizing for our "arrogance"). Someone who insults swaths of the American public (the "bitter clingers" quote and his recent gaffe by confusing Medal of Honor winners SFC Monti and SSG Giunta).

LMAO. That's some funny reading right there.

The legend of Glenn Beck lives on!

I didn't meet him. I shook his hand. In a bored college moment of "let's go and watch famous people talk", I went to a speech he was giving on campus. I was towards the front, and at the end of the speech, I moved close enough, stuck out my hand, and he shook it. And looking back on it, I find it shameful. I never supported the man. So why was I there? Why did I move up to him to be in his greeting line? Why did I act like some fawning idiot for a man I never even liked? I fell victim to the same sort of celebrity love and admiration that I claim to hate so much, and it disgusts me.

And forgive me, but the burning statement was probably hyperbole. An attempt to make a strong opening statement, if you will. Would I burn it? I don't know. I'll never know, because I'll never do anything that merits this particular president sending me heartfelt correspondence. I certainly don't understand why anyone would pay $11,000 for something like that. Personally, I love Reagan (surprise!) but I wouldn't give three months pay for a personal letter he wrote to someone else. That's just silly.

Have fun bro. The left wingers are going to be all over you here.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 02:28 PM)
BTW...did alphadog change his username? He hasn't been here in a while.

If memory serves, he was one of the ones who got really angry about this site having rules and decided to depart.

Is it so wrong that people look up to their president, that he is popular, that people feel a connection to him? Going to speeches and shaking hands is not falling victim to anything but hearing a speech and shaking a hand.

I certainly don't know why anyone would pay $11k for antiques, memorabilia, etc, but they do. Just because you wouldn't doesn't mean it's right or wrong for someone else to value that object at that price.

And while Im no Obama supporter (I think he's done some things decently well, many other things I don't agree with) I can't believe your stating such lines like "America succumbed to the superficial charm of someone who doesn't represent her values." Her values!? What does that mean exactly? Or do you mean the values that you perceive to be America's?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 01:29 PM)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 01:31 PM)
If memory serves, he was one of the ones who got really angry about this site having rules and decided to depart.

Funny timing.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 01:29 PM)

He's obviously free to say what he believes, but he should also expect to hear a ton of brushback when he makes some outrageous claims.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 01:35 PM)
He's obviously free to say what he believes, but he should also expect to hear a ton of brushback when he makes some outrageous claims.

Eh, it was kind of a personal statement and what he believes. Not sure why it needs to be labeled "outrageous."