To sell, or not to sell?

southsider2k5

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 01:02 PM)
I want to hone in on something here. When did Obama insult the military? And how have Obama's policies been any worse (or better) in treatment of the military than Bush's?

I think no matter what a Democrat does as president he's always going to have a perception (real or manufactured) that he doesn't properly respect the military. s*** even when Obama is going to do things to actually show respect, like salute caskets of dead soldiers, it's just written off as him being phony or something. He doesn't visit Arlington National Cemetery on Memorial Day (but goes to the Lincoln cemetery in Illinois instead) and out of the blue there's all kinds of mock indignation about a non-existent "tradition" or standard that Bush or Reagan was never held to.

Al Gore, Michael Dukakis, Walter Mondale, Jimmy Carter, all of these guys are veterans, but they're all just kind of casually lumped in with the "clueless and hates the military" trope. Republican "tough guys" get hand-waved over it, example, Rudy 9iu11ani was pretty creative in getting a national security letter as a brand new clerk straight out of law school to avoid going to Vietnam but that doesn't stop him from trying to call anybody a coward, and there's Saxby Chambliss jumping the shark with the Max Cleland thing, etc.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 03:41 PM)
It's cool. I like you already. lol. Even though we're probably usually going to think opposite things (I did agree with your 2A post the other day, just maybe not as polemically), respecting my point of view or hearing my opinions as valid gets someone a long way with me when I'm talking politics.

I was in from February 2001 to February 2008, I was in intel. I still work for the Army, still love the troops of course. I'm just saying though, young Soldiers think they know every f***ing thing about everything and really they don't. It's like the 23 year old college graduate starting conversations by saying "I have a degree and..." before he starts lecturing people on s*** that had nothing to do with whatever his degree program was.

I can agree with that. Although I'm 24 year old two years removed from college, so I'll make a mental note not to start any non-criminal justice (yeah, laugh it up haha) argument with the phrase "I've got a degree!" :lolhitting

I had wanted to go intel out of a desire to later join the CIA, but I was told it was hard to get that field at OCS. So I almost enlisted so I could have a better shot at getting it when I went to OCS later. But that only lasted a day and I ultimately decided to go to OCS right away. Which is good, because I spent about three weeks at Basic before deciding I just wanted to be an infantryman. And two years later, that's exactly what I am.

Either way, intel's a respectable field. You've apparently noticed my love for guns, so infantry just seemed more fitting for me personally. :headbang

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 08:36 PM)
I can agree with that. Although I'm 24 year old two years removed from college, so I'll make a mental note not to start any non-criminal justice (yeah, laugh it up haha) argument with the phrase "I've got a degree!" :lolhitting

I had wanted to go intel out of a desire to later join the CIA, but I was told it was hard to get that field at OCS. So I almost enlisted so I could have a better shot at getting it when I went to OCS later. But that only lasted a day and I ultimately decided to go to OCS right away. Which is good, because I spent about three weeks at Basic before deciding I just wanted to be an infantryman. And two years later, that's exactly what I am.

Either way, intel's a respectable field. You've apparently noticed my love for guns, so infantry just seemed more fitting for me personally. :headbang

Infantry officer? ROTC?

CIA is a process... to me it's just kind of a "name." The clearance itself gets you pretty far if you can qualify for it.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 06:38 PM)
Infantry officer? ROTC?

CIA is a process... to me it's just kind of a "name." The clearance itself gets you pretty far if you can qualify for it.

Infantry officer but not from ROTC. I went OCS.

And that's exactly what I've heard about the CIA. They love hiring from Harvard and Yale and other great universities. Sounds like a really elitist club to me.