AJ vs. Peavy thread

Balta1701

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 10:29 PM)
AJ won the game with his triple and probably saved the game by letting Ozzie & Coop know that Peavy had nothing left. If they leave Peavy in, the Sox probably lose.

Too bad they didn't listen to AJ in that Oakland game.

AMEN!!!!

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 10:31 PM)
AJ is an ass. There really isn't any argument there.

But he's our ass. There is really no middle ground with him even with his current teammates. You either like his bulldog, in-your-face attitude or you hate it. I can see where he and Peavy (being very similar in that bulldog mentality) would clash.

Jake can go cry to his wife while he is cashing his $16 million paycheck.

If anyone can see whether a pitcher is done, it's his catcher.

I don't give a damned what peoples' opinions are of AJ...he is one of the few smart players on this team and one of the few players' whose desire to win I do not question.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 10:33 PM)

I don't give a damned what peoples' opinions are of AJ...he is one of the few smart players on this team and one of the few players' whose desire to win I do not question.

So you wait the 15 seconds it takes for Ozzie to get the mound. You don't show up your teammates. Period.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 10:33 PM)

:notworthy :headbang

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 04:29 AM)
AJ won the game with his triple and probably saved the game by letting Ozzie & Coop know that Peavy had nothing left. If they leave Peavy in, the Sox probably lose.

Too bad they didn't listen to AJ in that Oakland game.

Great post.

If it was up to Peavy he'd be left in every game, every pitch, every inning.

Peavy was toast and AJ demanded he be taken out of the game.

Any of you play sports? I've been b****ed out many times by teammates. Yes it's wrong to do it on TV and in a stadium full of people, but AJ didn't trust Oz to get Peavy out of the f***ing game.

So what if AJ is a prick? He helped save today's game. If Peavy doesn't like it, fight AJ. I think both would get their shots in.

I've long thought that baseball players are far too sensitive to the "being shown up" thing. Between bat flips, standing at the dish watching home run balls, being stared down by Albert etc., I think a lot of pitchers should just grow a pair.

I'd have to see the exact motions that were made again by AJ and Jake to fully evaluate the situation, but there needs to be a mechanism by which the catcher can let his feelings be known strongly, w/o technically "showing a guy up" or blindly trusting pitchers who 90% of the time are going to say they still "have it" when they've clearly "lost it". Just my 2 cents.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 09:34 PM)
So you wait the 15 seconds it takes for Ozzie to get the mound. You don't show up your teammates. Period.

Well, I respectfully disagree. We've seen Jake has an issue reigning in his competitiveness at times.

Win games. Period.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 10:02 PM)
Brian, you're wrong on this one, AJ's actions are indefensible. I rip Peavy as much as the next guy, but this isn't about how he was performing, or AJ backers vs Peavy backers based on anything in the past.

Here's what happened, I posted this in the game thread:

When Peavy gives up that last hit, as Soriano scores you can briefly see AJ give the "get him out of here" heave-ho sign with his right arm and his right pointer finger extended. Then as he walks towards the mound, he's staring into the dugout just waiting, begging for the change. He basically showed Peavy up, and Peavy saw it.

It started before they were both on the mound and Ozzie made the change. Can't really fault Peavy, that's not a good move by a catcher regardless of whether he should be taken out, you just don't do that.

I agree, it's terrible to show up your teammates like that.

Peavy should have been taken out sooner, but A.J. has to restrain himself.

Ridiculous. AJ is wrong to do what he did. Doesn't mean Peavy shouldn't have come out, and he was clearly going to. Anyone that has actually played baseball at a high level knows that that is not how you act to your teammates, or anyone really. AJ is not the coach. If the coaches are interested in his opinion, they will get it. It was a dick move. Judging from the way he responded to Garfien, he probably conceded that to Jake.

Peavy must have had the worst 5+ inning, 3 run win ever judging by you guys. It was an okay start. It's no big deal, it doesn't make him a crybaby or not an ace or anything. It was just a game in which he pitched okay and we won. Chill out.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 04:41 AM)
I agree, it's terrible to show up your teammates like that.

Peavy should have been taken out sooner, but A.J. has to restrain himself.

He was showing up Ozzie as well.

Who cares?

The game was about to be blown AGAIN by the White Sox.

AJP is sick of seeing us lose big games.

I call AJ a hero. Who the f*** cares if he hurt Jake's feelings? We all know AJ is a prick. I love it. Oz is afraid to take Peavy out because Peavy doesn't ever want to come out. AJ forced the issue. I love AJ.