Bullpen

SoxFan1

Since everyone loves to talk about how horribly managed the team is, and how they're all overpaid underachieves, I figured a positive thread would be nice.

The bullpen has been a lot better recently. For instance, last night combined, the pen threw 3 2/3 with 3 H, 0 BB, and 6 K. Obviously no runs allowed.

The previous evening, 3 2/3 again, 5K, 0 BB, 2H, 0 R.

The night before that, 4 IP, 2H, 4K, 0 R, 0 BB.

Last game in ARI, 1.1, 0H, 0R, 2 K.

2nd game in ARI, 2 IP, 1H, 1L, 0 BB, 0 R.

1st game in ARI, 1.1 IP, 1H, 1 BB, 3 K, 0 R.

In fact, the last time the bullpen gave up a run was when Santos gave up a run in his 5-4 SV vs Oakland in the series finale.

Crain, Thornton, Santos have been money in the late innings. Crain is getting his slider over for strikes, Thornton has his 97 mph fastball back and painting the corners, and Santos is realizing he has incredible stuff and his pitch sequences have been devastating.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 02:38 PM)
Since everyone loves to talk about how horribly managed the team is, and how they're all overpaid underachieves, I figured a positive thread would be nice.

The bullpen has been a lot better recently. For instance, last night combined, the pen threw 3 2/3 with 3 H, 0 BB, and 6 K. Obviously no runs allowed.

The previous evening, 3 2/3 again, 5K, 0 BB, 2H, 0 R.

The night before that, 4 IP, 2H, 4K, 0 R, 0 BB.

Last game in ARI, 1.1, 0H, 0R, 2 K.

2nd game in ARI, 2 IP, 1H, 1L, 0 BB, 0 R.

1st game in ARI, 1.1 IP, 1H, 1 BB, 3 K, 0 R.

In fact, the last time the bullpen gave up a run was when Santos gave up a run in his 5-4 SV vs Oakland in the series finale.

Crain, Thornton, Santos have been money in the late innings. Crain is getting his slider over for strikes, Thornton has his 97 mph fastball back and painting the corners, and Santos is realizing he has incredible stuff and his pitch sequences have been devastating.

Sale's been better as of late too.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 02:40 PM)
My biggest fear is that we have really narrowed up who we use in the pen, and that we kill Crain and Sergios arms.

The good thing is that Sale and Ohman are pitching better as well. Hell, even Bruney has come in and not sucked.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 02:44 PM)
Has Ohman been bad at all versus lefties? I feel like he's gotten hit when he has because Ozzie has used him against righties.

2.79 ERA vs lefties, 7.20 vs righties. But to be fair, he couldn't get ANYONE out his first few outings of the season.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 02:41 PM)
The good thing is that Sale and Ohman are pitching better as well. Hell, even Bruney has come in and not sucked.

Those three are the key to the second half without a doubt. There are going to be important games where we have to use them.

The Pen has solidified quite nicely of late. We've got 4 1/2 guys that can be somewhat trusted in SS, MT, JC and CS and WO vs. lefties.

Bruney has been a pleasant surprise, though in a small sample, but is there any place for the rehabbing T-Pain? Here's hoping NOT.

Still, I'd like to see EJax added to that mix, as long as PV is healthy and EJax remains so inconsistent as a starter. ASB and many more off-days in the 2nd half make a 6 man rotation unnecessary in the long run, IMO.

As long as Pena doesn't come back i'll be happy.

Maybe if Addison Reed continues to throw well he'll get a call up in the second half. No doubt in my mind a better option than Harrell or Pena or Nunez.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 02:57 PM)
The Pen has solidified quite nicely of late. We've got 4 1/2 guys that can be somewhat trusted in SS, MT, JC and CS and WO vs. lefties.

Bruney has been a pleasant surprise, though in a small sample, but is there any place for the rehabbing T-Pain? Here's hoping NOT.

Still, I'd like to see EJax added to that mix, as long as PV is healthy and EJax remains so inconsistent as a starter. ASB and many more off-days in the 2nd half make a 6 man rotation unnecessary in the long run, IMO.

I expect Bruney to continue to be at least average. He's been around long enough to where I think he should be able to handle being the last or second-to-last guy out of the bullpen.

I almost lost my mind with your statement about Peña because the "NOT" was the only word that didn't appear on the same line on my computer. Who would want him back? Nobody.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 03:06 PM)
Other than Santos

Well, Crain was pretty good at that point, too. It was just hyperbole.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 02:08 PM)
I almost lost my mind with your statement about Peña because the "NOT" was the only word that didn't appear on the same line on my computer. Who would want him back? Nobody.

Of course I agree, but I still have a small fear of KW ego/ROI BS allowing him another chance.

It's nice to see Santos has got his mojo back. With him locking down the 9th, Thornton and Crain splitting 7th/8th duties, our pen is starting to look like it was originally conceived to be. We still need that long man, but if that's the thing we are lacking, I guess that's pretty good.

And just release Pena, Bruney is better.

Edited by maggsmaggs

If the bullpen truly is getting better, that would be awesome.

It'd be the opposite of past years where it started great and went to hell after Joe Morgan would brag about it.

My opinion of the pen:

- Crain: Better than average. I kind of like him.

- Matt: Looking very good of late. A lot more confident even though he's given up some hits, etc.

- Sergio: Amazing closer. One poster said he got lucky vs. the Cubs in game two. I don't know bout that.

-- Ohman: No real opinion.

-- Bruney: No real opinion.

-- Sale: Still has a lot of promise. Wouldn't mind seeing him go down and learn to start cause we may need him in the future.

-- Pena: Me no likey.

Edited by greg775

Nothing makes me happier than to see Serg get over those back-to-back rough outings. That's the stuff that tells you how strong a pitcher is mentally and I feel Serg has shown us that he's not scared. As rough as that loss to OAK was, I actually feel more confident now having him come in to close out a game because I know that he's not out there to avoid a BS but rather to be a closer (if that makes sense).