Enough with the hyperbole

Chisoxfn

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Props to the site's owner. Honestly, I've found myself visiting WSI more this season because this board has become overbearingly negative. If I wanted to read nothing but s*** talking about the Sox I'd go to a MIN, DET, or CHC board. I come to Soxtalk to both commiserate and celebrate with fellow Sox fans, but there's no celebrating here. Hell, it seems 1/2 the time I get on here 30 mins after a win there's no "White Sox Winner" thread. It's never been this way before and I welcome Jason's efforts to restore what was at one time, in my opinion, the one and only White Sox forum worth visiting.

I wish there were more threads where you could just ramble off Sox rant or praise, like just how you are feeling about something that particular day. Ideally the posts wouldn't need to really make too much of a point like in most threads here. What about a Prove Me Wrong On Something WhiteSox thread where you can try and king ridiculous claims?

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 12:07 AM)
Props to the site's owner. Honestly, I've found myself visiting WSI more this season because this board has become overbearingly negative. If I wanted to read nothing but s*** talking about the Sox I'd go to a MIN, DET, or CHC board. I come to Soxtalk to both commiserate and celebrate with fellow Sox fans, but there's no celebrating here. Hell, it seems 1/2 the time I get on here 30 mins after a win there's no "White Sox Winner" thread. It's never been this way before and I welcome Jason's efforts to restore what was at one time, in my opinion, the one and only White Sox forum worth visiting.

To be fair, I don't see why this has to be the message board version of a Rongey post-game talk. I think this board swings to extreme highs and lows depending on the team. When we suck, people go over the cliff. When this team is hot, people think out s*** doesn't stink. It's pretty knee-jerk, but that's just how the internet is. The ones who are the level headed get paid for their comments.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 05:21 AM)
I don't even know what constant hyperbole and talk in absolutes means. :unsure:

I don't think I do either.

I think if you try to sound like an absolute know it all, you are gawn.

I think a lot of us would be banned under the new rules in April and May when things were really really ugly.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 12:17 AM)
I wish there were more threads where you could just ramble off Sox rant or praise, like just how you are feeling about something that particular day. Ideally the posts wouldn't need to really make too much of a point like in most threads here. What about a Prove Me Wrong On Something WhiteSox thread where you can try and king ridiculous claims?

A thread to vent frustration wouldn't be a bad idea.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 11:32 PM)
That's exactly what we're trying to get away from. I've had similar experiences. It's impossible to be optimistic on PHT anymore because you will get smashed instantly and called an idiot. Hell, I've avoided game threads like the plague for a LONG time now.

That's a two-way street, buddy.

Maybe it's human nature to want to see improvements made in your favorite team.

When you see them making the same mistakes over and over again (this could be in drafting, trading younger players like Hudson or Gio, bunting too much, getting runners in from scoring position, choosing to play Kotsay over keeping Thome, Viciedo/Pierre, etc.) it does get frustrating.

You wonder why if MOST of the posters here can identify the problems so easily, why nobody with the front office or coaching staff can find the solution.

It would be one thing if you had players like Owens and Andy Gonzalez and Ehren Wasserman trying their hardest...even with their limited ceilings, it's hard not to root for those guys who aren't "sure things" and maybe don't even belong in major league baseball. Or Chris Getz, to use another example.

I'll admit to, for example, jumping over greghibbard with his "positive" thread. He tried to do something "bold and courageous," granted, it's much easier to take the negative side these days than arguing the positive points. Maybe I wish that I could feel the same way that he does about the Sox future prospects.

None of us have given up cheering or pulling for Sox victories...I think that this is really the crux of the argument. There's come the point in time where there really SEEMS to be a credible argument to be made on behalf of "let's tank the season.....if KW/Ozzie want to go down with the ship, so be it," start over, have a Top 10 draft pick again to work with, have a new GM and manager, etc.

I think this last issue is the flashpoint for all the brushfires. Frustration in not being sure KW has the patience to rebuild, to start replenishing the farm system, making the right trades, etc. Of course, the major frustration is being stuck "in between" and not being able to do a single thing about Dunn/Rios/Peavy/Beckham in particular. Juan Pierre is the easy villain now, but he's not the real issue...it's just that he appears to be the most expendable at the moment, and he plays Viciedo's position, so it's even easier.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 12:23 AM)
To be fair, I don't see why this has to be the message board version of a Rongey post-game talk. I think this board swings to extreme highs and lows depending on the team. When we suck, people go over the cliff. When this team is hot, people think out s*** doesn't stink. It's pretty knee-jerk, but that's just how the internet is. The ones who are the level headed get paid for their comments.

Typically your reasoning would be sound but, having spent 8 years reading this board, it's different now, and the internet was just as knee-jerk 8 years ago as it is today. Jake Peavy says he's willing to pitch from the bullpen if that's what's asked of him and there are 4-5 posters who present and control the narrative that his comments meant that he knows he's washed up and can no longer start. Really? Those are the fans that this board used to make fun of, the drunken idiots who call into post-game shows or post on the MLB boards. It's what differentiated Soxtalk from other sources...there was always reasonable conversation about both positives and negatives but, no matter what, it was from folks who enjoyed talking baseball...not a gaggle of idiots who think it's pretty badass to be contrarians.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 10:53 PM)
Aww, don't go away, but please try to be less defensive. Really, some of us would miss you. Anyway, I'm thinking a line like this from the AJ v PV thread was a more likely inspiration for the warning than anything you did today:

"I'm not sure if you have made a meaningful contribution in any thread since you've been here."

Of course, I could be wrong/missed a few posts.

Hey, what do you know, I just found out that post you are referring to was directed towards me! Haha, thanks IlliniKrush!

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 12:45 AM)
Typically your reasoning would be sound but, having spent 8 years reading this board, it's different now, and the internet was just as knee-jerk 8 years ago as it is today. Jake Peavy says he's willing to pitch from the bullpen if that's what's asked of him and there are 4-5 posters who present and control the narrative that his comments meant that he knows he's washed up and can no longer start. Really? Those are the fans that this board used to make fun of, the drunken idiots who call into post-game shows or post on the MLB boards. It's what differentiated Soxtalk from other sources...there was always reasonable conversation about both positives and negatives but, no matter what, it was from folks who enjoyed talking baseball...not a gaggle of idiots who think it's pretty badass to be contrarians.

What differentiates Soxtalk from other places, like SouthSideSox, is that I haven't been banned multiple times from Soxtalk yet. :lolhitting

That was a theory that a few guys came up with. I don't see the problem with coming up with guesses as to the deeper meaning of a statement in a thread entirely devoted to that statement. And your second part seems to be bordering on hyperbole and personal attacks. They're drunken idiots?

Thank you. You said very clearly what I've been thinking about PHT the last couple of months.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 01:56 AM)
Thank you. You said very clearly what I've been thinking about PHT the last couple of months.

I'd imagine most of this is in regards to PHT. It's been going downhill for a while. I won't say I haven't contributed because I've definitely said a few things in hyperbole in regards to Juan Pierre, but I still love this site and will continue to post here through any changes.

ugh, finally

Its pretty frustrating when this team wins and you try to discuss it and there's a group of douches who STILL just wanna bash the team.. Even when they have nothing to add to the conversation, its all good if you just toss in a "yeah, well Juan Pierre is terrible"

It would nice to pull back on some of the negativity. There's plenty to be frustrated with but plenty to be excited about. The other night someone posted something to the effect that "obviously the sox are going nowhere this season and you're fooling yourself if you think otherwise."

That kind of s*** gets old fast.

While I consider myself a positive poster, and I think anyone who follows my posts would, I am decidedly against this move. I would argue that if you would get rid of some of the other rules, we wouldn't have this problem to begin with. To me, this is just another rule that will get good posters banned when their thoughts are misunderstood by some overzealous, bored moderator.

Now I can't make a joke in hyperbole without stating its a joke (stating something is a joke immediately makes it unfunny).

This place is still much more interesting than WSI.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 02:49 AM)
It would nice to pull back on some of the negativity. There's plenty to be frustrated with but plenty to be excited about. The other night someone posted something to the effect that "obviously the sox are going nowhere this season and you're fooling yourself if you think otherwise."

That kind of s*** gets old fast.

I agree. The people that act like the White Sox are the most inept organization in baseball really get on my nerves. It's one of the 10 most successful organizations over the past 20 years but some people on this site make it seem like were the f***ing Pirates or something. I'm not blind to some mistakes obviously(Pierre, Edwin, Swisher), but I don't dwell on every single mistake and still cheer for every player on the team, every night.

QUOTE (MAX @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 04:00 AM)
While I consider myself a positive poster, and I think anyone who follows my posts would, I am decidedly against this move. I would argue that if you would get rid of some of the other rules, we wouldn't have this problem to begin with. To me, this is just another rule that will get good posters banned when their thoughts are misunderstood by some overzealous, bored moderator.

Now I can't make a joke in hyperbole without stating its a joke (stating something is a joke immediately makes it unfunny).

This place is still much more interesting than WSI.

Can't happen. We talk everything over as a group before a decision like that is made.