Enough with the hyperbole

Chisoxfn

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a little buzzed last night (shocking, I know), but now that I'm sober I can now kinda say my piece on this issue. Without making this a 1500 word rant or a pessimist vs optimist centric post, I think the one thing that I've definitely underestimated about the board in general is the overall sensitivity, or more specifically, over-sensitivity. When I say that, I don't mean certain posters are crybabies or get their feelings hurt easily. But when a poster(s) says that they don't want to post or can't come in here or it's just too negative for them, etc, is that my problem (using me as an example here) or theirs? That a person(s) that you've never met before in your life can have that affect on you? That seems like a separate issue in itself. There's not a poster here that will influence how often I frequent the board. If I take a month off it'll be because I just felt like taking a month off or I've been too busy or whatever. Not because a poster or a certain group 'forced' me to. What's the ignore feature for? USE IT! If it bothers you that much then you have that option.

I'm only speaking for myself here. Yes, I do create hyperbolic posts at times. Yes, if we're losing 8-2 in the bottom of the 7th I'll get nasty. Yes, when the Twins run out a lineup on consecutive nights that would make Smalls, Benny, Porter, Squints and Yeah-Yeah point and laugh and you STILL lose, yes, that's not going to exactly inspire a positive vibe. When I say JP sucks, I mean he sucks as a baseball player. Not as a man, husband or father. When Alex Rios get torched? It's because his performance as a baseball player warrants it. Not because I think he rapes small bunnies. When Peavy gets critiqued, it's all baseball related. I don't and never will see a problem with that as long as you don't cross that threshold. As far as excessive cursing and personal attacks, yeah, I get that. And that's for the mods and admins to take care of. But trying muzzle or put a gag order on certain posters (and then basically saying if you don't comply, see ya!) because they express their views/opinions regarding the players/team differently from others? Only one site comes to mind.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 10:39 AM)
I was a little buzzed last night (shocking, I know), but now that I'm sober I can now kinda say my piece on this issue. Without making this a 1500 word rant or a pessimist vs optimist centric post, I think the one thing that I've definitely underestimated about the board in general is the overall sensitivity, or more specifically, over-sensitivity. When I say that, I don't mean certain posters are crybabies or get their feelings hurt easily. But when a poster(s) says that they don't want to post or can't come in here or it's just too negative for them, etc, is that my problem (using me as an example here) or theirs? That a person(s) that you've never met before in your life can have that affect on you? That seems like a separate issue in itself. There's not a poster here that will influence how often I frequent the board. If I take a month off it'll be because I just felt like taking a month off or I've been too busy or whatever. Not because a poster or a certain group 'forced' me to. What's the ignore feature for? USE IT! If it bothers you that much then you have that option.

I'm only speaking for myself here. Yes, I do create hyperbolic posts at times. Yes, if we're losing 8-2 in the bottom of the 7th I'll get nasty. Yes, when the Twins run out a lineup on consecutive nights that would make Smalls, Benny, Porter, Squints and Yeah-Yeah point and laugh and you STILL lose, yes, that's not going to exactly inspire a positive vibe. When I say JP sucks, I mean he sucks as a baseball player. Not as a man, husband or father. When Alex Rios get torched? It's because his performance as a baseball player warrants it. Not because I think he rapes small bunnies. When Peavy gets critiqued, it's all baseball related. I don't and never will see a problem with that as long as you don't cross that threshold. As far as excessive cursing and personal attacks, yeah, I get that. And that's for the mods and admins to take care of. But trying muzzle or put a gag order on certain posters (and then basically saying if you don't comply, see ya!) because they express their views/opinions regarding the players/team differently from others? Only one site comes to mind.

Even sober, you missed the point entirely.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 10:44 AM)
Even sober, you missed the point entirely.

If forum members want to post constant hyperbole and talk in absolutes, you will face potential suspensions (up to indefinite suspensions).

Note: No warnings will be issued, so consider this your warning.

That's pretty cut and dry.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 10:56 AM)
Your post missed all of the discussion that has been done here.

I've read through the thread. And I've come to the same conclusion. Now I have to worry about getting suspended if I say something as trivial as "Adam Dunn sucks" after another 0/4, 3K game.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 10:39 AM)

Totally missed the point. In fact, we want people to disagree, it makes better discussions. It has absoultely nothing to do with how bad you think Juan Pierre is, or how good you think Paul Konerko is. Its about how you post. And you still don't get that.

Not once, ever, has a poster been suspened or even PM'd or talked with about where they stand on some specific issue, player, stat, decision, etc. Never happened, and isn't going to here either.

Are you not capable of telling us why you think Player X is bad? Or can you only post an expletive-laden, laughably over-the-top rant? Do you think anyone wants to read a site full of posts like that?

If you want a truly, 100% unmoderated forum, then go over to ESPN or MLB boards. See how fun that is. If you want a heavily moderated and tuned forum, go to WSI, see how long you last there. If you want something in between, stay here, but be aware that we have rules and expectations too.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 11:01 AM)
I've read through the thread. And I've come to the same conclusion. Now I have to worry about getting suspended if I say something as trivial as "Adam Dunn sucks" after another 0/4, 3K game.

You really don't get it.

Being critical and being dramatically over the top critical practically every time you post are not the same thing.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 11:01 AM)

If you were to post that, say, once in a game thread, no one would care.

If you post it 10 times in 5 different ways in 4 different threads with not a coherent though accompanying, that's just irritating.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 08:30 AM)
If it's just said once or twice, does it need the elaboration?

EDIT: And I've also seen posters referred to as "drunken idiots" and "douches" in just this thread. I hope this edict doesn't start an open season on pessimistic posters.

To clarify, because I'm the one who posted "drunken idiots", it was a comparison to some posters sounding like the drunken idiots who call into post-game shows....not that our posters are drunken idiots. You know the callers I'm referring to, the guy who calls up Rongey after MB has a bad outing and suggests strongly that MB should be sent to the minors for a while....that's what I feel like I'm listening to if I were to read some these threads aloud.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 11:05 AM)
To clarify, because I'm the one who posted "drunken idiots", it was a comparison to some posters sounding like the drunken idiots who call into post-game shows....not that our posters are drunken idiots. You know the callers I'm referring to, the guy who calls up Rongey after MB has a bad outing and suggests strongly that MB should be sent to the minors for a while....that's what I feel like I'm listening to if I were to read some these threads aloud.

Not that this is a commentary on you at all, because it's not, but I do find it funny that mmmmmbeer has a problem with drunken idiots. :lolhitting

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 11:02 AM)
Totally missed the point. In fact, we want people to disagree, it makes better discussions. It has absoultely nothing to do with how bad you think Juan Pierre is, or how good you think Paul Konerko is. Its about how you post. And you still don't get that.

Not once, ever, has a poster been suspened or even PM'd or talked with about where they stand on some specific issue, player, stat, decision, etc. Never happened, and isn't going to here either.

Are you not capable of telling us why you think Player X is bad? Or can you only post an expletive-laden, laughably over-the-top rant? Do you think anyone wants to read a site full of posts like that?

If you want a truly, 100% unmoderated forum, then go over to ESPN or MLB boards. See how fun that is. If you want a heavily moderated and tuned forum, go to WSI, see how long you last there. If you want something in between, stay here, but be aware that we have rules and expectations too.

Do you really need an extensive, detailed, book report on why JP sucks? I've done my Kalapse impression and thrown numbers out there. And other times I have fun with it. I don't see the big issue here. You guys keep saying I'm missing the point? The board owner was the one that created this thread. How else is somebody like myself supposed to view this? Maybe muzzle or gag were too strong a terms. How about greatly alter? And this what Milk is talking about. I can tell by the tone of your post that you're like really getting mad. "Do what we say or go to the ESPN board." I never said the inmates should run the asylum.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 11:10 AM)
Do you really need an extensive, detailed, book report on why JP sucks? I've done my Kalapse impression and thrown numbers out there. And other times I have fun with it. I don't see the big issue here. You guys keep saying I'm missing the point? The board owner was the one that created this thread. How else is somebody like myself supposed to view this? Maybe muzzle or gag were too strong a terms. How about greatly alter? And this what Milk is talking about. I can tell by the tone of your post that you're like really getting mad. "Do what we say or go to the ESPN board." I never said the inmates should run the asylum.

That would be a great example of the hyperbole that is being talked about. NSS never said that. He said if you want an unmoderated board, go there.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 11:14 AM)
And to even insinuate that, that's what I want is ridiculous and insulting.

These are your words

But trying muzzle or put a gag order on certain posters (and then basically saying if you don't comply, see ya!) because they express their views/opinions regarding the players/team differently from others?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 11:10 AM)
Do you really need an extensive, detailed, book report on why JP sucks? I've done my Kalapse impression and thrown numbers out there.

Most of the baseball world has done the extensive book report. Nearly any smart site, from Yahoo! to Rotoworld to fangraphs, etc, has written how idiotic it is that Juan Pierre not only continues to start, but also continues to lead off for this roster. The only person who doesn't get it is our manager.

Hence J4L and anyone else's frustration with Pierre and this team. If you aren't frustrated, you aren't paying attention!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 11:16 AM)
These are your words

Um, OK? Again, continuous swearing, personal attacks on posters or players? No problem. Being told how you're allowed to express yourself concerning player/team performance or else? That's a totally separate issue.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 11:22 AM)
Um, OK? Again, continuous swearing, personal attacks on posters or players? No problem. Being told how you're allowed to express yourself concerning player/team performance or else? That's a totally separate issue.

All of those things are varying degrees of moderation happening. It really isn't a separate issue, as they all go to the overall tone that the message board in question takes. Even the WSI references are hyperbole that gets spewed everytime we try to clean things up a bit. Guess what, Soxtalk has been around almost a decade, and still is nothing like WSI.