Gamethread: 6/25/2011, 3:10 p.m.; Nationals @ White Sox

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 05:15 PM)
What's everyone's feeling on Beckham? I don't see a Major League caliber hitter.

I would bench him if I felt we had a replacement, but we really don't. I guess Teahen can play there, Omar looks old as nails. Kuhn is not ready.

You're right, he isn't close to hitting well, but at least he plays D well. It's kinda a tallest midget-type thing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 05:19 PM)
He has just got to go to AAA.

Maybe, but he reminds me of Brian Anderson. A lot of bad ABs where he either easily falls behind 0-2 or makes crappy contact early in the AB for an out.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 06:21 PM)
Maybe, but he reminds me of Brian Anderson. A lot of bad ABs where he either easily falls behind 0-2 or makes crappy contact early in the AB for an out.

That's because pitchers aren't afraid of him hitting a solid fastball, so they go right after him.

The problem really is/was mechanical for both of them. And both of them had stretches where they got their mechanics right but then lost them.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 10:22 PM)
That's because pitchers aren't afraid of him hitting a solid fastball, so they go right after him.

The problem really is/was mechanical for both of them. And both of them had stretches where they got their mechanics right but then lost them.

I think it goes to show you how even a small thing can throw the hiter out of whack.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 06:24 PM)
I think it goes to show you how even a small thing can throw the hiter out of whack.

And that the "the pitcher isn't scared" feedback is really important.

If a pitcher starts nibbling, then the pitcher falls behind and the hitter can be aggressive. If the pitcher goes right after the hitter, the hitter has to be ready to swing defensively.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 06:25 PM)
I hate that stat. I know it means something but good hitters will have a high BABIP and bad hitters will have a low one and vice versa on the pitching side.

Yeah, there's a range, but when numbers are way outside of that range, it's seems to consistently work.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 04:23 PM)
I am forced to follow the game by mlb gameday, but it looks like the Jakemeister is really bringing it today!

Peavy has indeed been great - lots of movement on the ball, and he's mixing up his pitches very well.

Problem today is offense...

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 06:11 PM)
14-107 a .131 batting average with 51 strikeouts at home for Dunn. Even his biggest detractors would have a hard time believing those numbers.

The second strike of his last at bat, on a fast ball down and in ..... I don't ever remember seeing a major league hitter take a full cut at a pitch and miss it by so much.