Gamethread: 6/26/2011, 1:10 p.m.; Nationals @ White Sox

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 08:27 PM)
Other than Dunn coming out of this and playing out his contract at least close to his career numbers (with a small decline for age each year), that would probably be the best thing that could possibly happen to the Sox. But how often does that happen. I'm sure he'd still want to get his money.

I really hope he figures this s*** out, but the longer you are like this, the more mentally you get f***ed up and then the only thing that can help is just a full off-season away from baseball. Kind of like what happened with Rios 2 years ago or Swisher a couple years back. Or even Konerko back in the early 2000's when he had that disasterous season.

Really good post. Something disturbing with Dunn is how he seems to not be able to carry good swings from one game to the next. He looked good on Friday, and now it's back to swinging an invisible bat. There's no consistency in his approach. A lot of games, he's very patient the first one or two times up. However, he'll have a few bad at bats and then find himself in a hole in a later at bat cause he's being too aggressive.

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:27 PM)
Other than Dunn coming out of this and playing out his contract at least close to his career numbers (with a small decline for age each year), that would probably be the best thing that could possibly happen to the Sox. But how often does that happen. I'm sure he'd still want to get his money.

I really hope he figures this s*** out, but the longer you are like this, the more mentally you get f***ed up and then the only thing that can help is just a full off-season away from baseball. Kind of like what happened with Rios 2 years ago or Swisher a couple years back. Or even Konerko back in the early 2000's when he had that disasterous season.

He's an obvious waiver candidate. What do you think the odds are that a NL team in the postseason hunt might pick up his contract for nothing in return (a la the Rios waiver deal)? An argument could be made that if Dunn moves back to the NL he'll do better, a la Pat Burrell.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:30 PM)
For the money, he's clearly one of the biggest busts of all times (in one season).

Are you talking about Dunn? Because if you are, how can you say this when the season isn't even over?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 08:28 PM)
Assuming that a player must be the worst of the worst because you don't know how to look for data is either hyperbole, laziness, or naivete.

He's been bad. Plain bad. People have been worse. Lots of people have been worse. Brandon Wood's epic .382 OPS last year was a pretty good example.

He might well be one of the worst ever to put up these numbers while being paid this kind of money. That narrows the list down considerably.

Good post.

As far as laziness ... it's Sunday man. Day of rest for most people. This ain't rocket science. On Monday or Tuesday maybe it'd be worth looking up, not a restful Sunday.

QUOTE (elgonzo4sox @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 08:33 PM)
He's an obvious waiver candidate. What do you think the odds are that a NL team in the postseason hunt might pick up his contract for nothing in return (a la the Rios waiver deal)? An argument could be made that if Dunn moves back to the NL he'll do better, a la Pat Burrell.

1 percent chance

QUOTE (elgonzo4sox @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 03:33 PM)

With that money remaining on his contract and no DH slot? The odds are effectively zero.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 12:33 PM)
Are you talking about Dunn? Because if you are, how can you say this when the season isn't even over?

I think somewhere I said if he keeps this up. But you are correct, there is still a half season for him to make some noise.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 03:33 PM)
The two Oakland pitchers (who aren't Gio) don't really count considering they've only started 6 games a piece.

He's 8th in ERA if you don't count those guys. They're not showing up on my list because of a lack of qualifying innings. Beckett, Weaver, Shields, Verlander, Pineda, Gio, Ogando, Humber, in order.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:31 PM)
That's a great post IMO.

Paulie not starting the all-star game angers me. He is the definition of 'all star starter.'

Agree completely. But the starting lineup is determined by fans. Jeter's presence shows it's an absolute joke.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:33 PM)

He gets paid to swing the bat. Not defend. Not run. Not bunt. Swing the bat. On his current pace, and there's absolutely nothing other than past history to suggest anything will change, he's no doubt having one of the worst seasons for a full-time, 1 dimensional player in years.

Edited by Jordan4life

Don't get me wrong, I love Humber and what he's done for us so far, but does anyone else think his inability to get through the eighth inning hurts his legitimacy in terms of Cy Young and All Star voting? I don't personally care, he's been terrific and he's helping us win games...I just think that might be used to separate him from the Weavers, Becketts and Verlanders of the league.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 07:35 PM)
He's 8th in ERA if you don't count those guys. They're not showing up on my list because of a lack of qualifying innings. Beckett, Weaver, Shields, Verlander, Pineda, Gio, Ogando, Humber, in order.

Okay. Humber is ahead of Ogando now though if you're including this game, so 7th I guess.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:36 PM)
Don't get me wrong, I love Humber and what he's done for us so far, but does anyone else think his inability to get through the eighth inning hurts his legitimacy in terms of Cy Young and All Star voting? I don't personally care, he's been terrific and he's helping us win games...I just think that might be used to separate him from the Weavers, Becketts and Verlanders of the league.

we are talking all-star not top five in all of baseball

QUOTE (elgonzo4sox @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:35 PM)
Agree completely. But the starting lineup is determined by fans. Jeter's presence shows it's an absolute joke.

I believe Alexei has the best WAR amongst AL shortstops yet is not even in the top 5 in voting

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 03:36 PM)
Okay. Humber is ahead of Ogando now though if you're including this game, so 7th I guess.

Yeah, but you can't "Count this game" yet, Humber gives up 1 run at some point and he moves back to 8th.

QUOTE (elgonzo4sox @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 08:35 PM)

I happen to love watching Paulie play defense, too.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:33 PM)
    1 percent chance

Not even the Dodgers, if MLB takes full control? When they controlled the Rangers last year they spent money to build a postseason team. Maybe Bud Selig will do his buddy Jerry a favor and take Dunn off his hands...