Gamethread: 6/26/2011, 1:10 p.m.; Nationals @ White Sox

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (elgonzo4sox @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 03:39 PM)

Not even the Dodgers, if MLB takes full control? When they controlled the Rangers last year they spent money to build a postseason team. Maybe Bud Selig will do his buddy Jerry a favor and take Dunn off his hands...

Absolutely not.

The Dodgers are a financial mess. the McCourts have pulled out something like $200 million from that franchise by borrowing against the franchise value. If MLB takes that on, they'll have a gigantic pile of debt to deal with.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 08:39 PM)
    Trouble is, Adrian Gonzalez is better at that too.

I'll have to take Paulie just being on the team then and watch him get the obligatory one at bat.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:35 PM)
    I think somewhere I said if he keeps this up. But you are correct, there is still a half season for him to make some noise.

This is so dumb. People are falling all over themselves to extrapolate 1/8th of a contract to make Dunn one of the biggest busts of all time. Or less than 1/2 of a season to say that Dunn is having the worst season ever for a DH or some other horses***.

Look, he really sucks right now. Like really, really bad. But at least let him fail for the full season before evaluating his worth over an entire season.

QUOTE (elgonzo4sox @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:39 PM)

Not even the Dodgers, if MLB takes full control? When they controlled the Rangers last year they spent money to build a postseason team. Maybe Bud Selig will do his buddy Jerry a favor and take Dunn off his hands...

Dunn actually makes a bit of sense for LA. James Loney flat out sucks.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:38 PM)
      I happen to love watching Paulie play defense, too.

He makes at least one great play with the glove per game...even my 9 year old daughter noticed this...I don't believe any of the defensive stats that say Konerko isn't one of the best fielding first basemen...

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 12:38 PM)
      I happen to love watching Paulie play defense, too.

He might have bailed out Alexei in that extra inning game on Friday.

Wow, Quentin was lucky to make contact on that slow curve. Livan is pretty much a knuckle-baller without a knuckler, haha.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 03:41 PM)

If the McCourts had been a decent baseball owner instead of an excellent wall street executive, I'd agree. But they've been excellent wall street types and terrible baseball owners instead.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:41 PM)
      This is so dumb. People are falling all over themselves to extrapolate 1/8th of a contract to make Dunn one of the biggest busts of all time. Or less than 1/2 of a season to say that Dunn is having the worst season ever for a DH or some other horses***.

Look, he really sucks right now. Like really, really bad. But at least let him fail for the full season before evaluating his worth over an entire season.

This is what people said after April. And after May. Wite tried to convince us change was coming (and he did a good job). But Dunn is still failing at a rate that boggles the human mind.

QUOTE (elgonzo4sox @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 12:39 PM)

They didn't spend much. They just had to pay Lee for the remainder of his contract. Picking up Dunn would mean that they were picking up 3 more years of that contract. Additionally, they have James Loney at 1B and unless they planned on moving Loney back to the OF or were trading Loney, there is no spot for Dunn.

Not that Loney is very good.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 01:41 PM)

Umm, Loney's hitting .280. And he has three straight years of 88 or more RBIs. He's not a superstar, but he doesn't flat out suck...

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:40 PM)
        I'll have to take Paulie just being on the team then and watch him get the obligatory one at bat.

Leyland and Verlander have made it pretty clear they don't care if he starts the Sunday before the ASB...meaning the AL will be without their best pitcher.

Kind of sucks, but Justin seems to view the game itself as a joke because of the fan voting with all those Yankees (Jeter/Martin) and Red Sox. Ichiro will miss making it the first time, deservedly. Unless Mr. Bautista gets voted in, it will be a total shutout for the rest of the league, and Josh Hamilton.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 03:41 PM)
        No reason to even discuss anyone other than Justin Verlander for the Cy Young at this point.

Sorry man, but Beckett and his 1.86 ERA? Weaver and Shields? Sheids has 6 CG's and 3 shutouts already. Both have better ERA's, and Verlander pitches in a cavern too.

Verlander's on top in "Wins" by 1 and "no hitters" right now.

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:44 PM)
        Umm, Loney's hitting .280. And he has three straight years of 88 or more RBIs. He's not a superstar, but he doesn't flat out suck...

For a 1B, he has no power. His OBP isn't that good. He's an adequate fielder and that's the only thing he does well.

He's a gap power hitter playing 1B, which makes him very below average.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 12:41 PM)

It is pretty difficult to do what Dunn has done over this amount of AB's. This isn't a small sample size. This is almost a full half-season's worth of at bats. Add in the 2nd half of last year (which was bad) and that is a full season of being below-average. Add in the fact that he's not exactly young and I think you have plenty of reasons to call him a big bust. Could that change a year from now, absolutely, but I'm not about to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I see a guy with a long swing and slow bat. That isn't exactly a recipe for success.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:45 PM)
        For a 1B, he has no power. His OBP isn't that good. He's an adequate fielder and that's the only thing he does well.

He's a gap power hitter playing 1B, which makes him very below average.

At 0.4 WAR, Fangraphs says Loney is a very below-average first baseman.