Gamethread: 6/26/2011, 1:10 p.m.; Nationals @ White Sox

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:46 PM)
It is pretty difficult to do what Dunn has done over this amount of AB's. This isn't a small sample size. This is almost a full half-season's worth of at bats. Add in the 2nd half of last year (which was bad) and that is a full season of being below-average. Add in the fact that he's not exactly young and I think you have plenty of reasons to call him a big bust. Could that change a year from now, absolutely, but I'm not about to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I see a guy with a long swing and slow bat. That isn't exactly a recipe for success.

It's truly a lose-lose situation with Dunn. You play him, he sucks. You bench him, you are benching $13 million a year. There is literally know way to win in this situation with Dunn.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 11:36 AM)
The White Sox have hit .356 off of him in 3 career appearances to the tune of a 6.88 ERA. This is all 2008-2010, too.

So much for that bulls*** off LH in the past means nothing in 2011.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 12:47 PM)
Couple decent swings this AB for Dunn, just out in front on the slow stuff.

Great, he can get around on an 87MPH fastball. I still haven't seen him get around on decent fastballs and he's having a hell of time hitting anything off-speed.

And the breaking ball he whiffed on in this AB was up in the zone (and a little in) but it didn't have much movement. Hard to hit though when you have that much head movement during your swing.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:47 PM)
LMAO. How is this possible?

Every person in the universe would have laughed at you if you told them that Adam Dunn would be hitting .175 with 7 homers in late June.

s***, if I woke up from a coma and saw Dunn's numbers, I'd literally say, "is this real life?"

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:44 PM)
Sorry man, but Beckett and his 1.86 ERA? Weaver and Shields? Sheids has 6 CG's and 3 shutouts already. Both have better ERA's, and Verlander pitches in a cavern too.

Verlander's on top in "Wins" by 1 and "no hitters" right now.

I'm just saying by what he's done in the last month, he'd be the leader in the minds of those who vote.

I see a guy with a long swing and slow bat. That isn't exactly a recipe for success.

Great line.

That's really all that needs to be said about Adam Dunn. 3 more K's today ... and counting.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 03:47 PM)
At 0.4 WAR, Fangraphs says Loney is a very below-average first baseman.

I hate those damn sabermetrics, I mean who cares about war and whatever, bill James never played and he's gotten rich on these stupid stats

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 03:48 PM)
It was fastballs that he was out in front of. Shows you how off-balanced he is.

Those weren't fastballs. The fastball upstairs he was a little late on but fouled it off. The inside pitches he hit hard but foul were much slower and breaking

The latest from Greg Walker.

They're trying to get Dunn more balanced and out on his "right side" more, instead of loading and having all of his weight back.

The phrase was "he's spinning around the ball and hooking/pulling everything" instead of taking a nice, balanced swing with proper weight distribution and transfer.

Not sure how that can change his long/slow bat. We'll see.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 03:49 PM)
I hate those damn sabermetrics, I mean who cares about war and whatever, bill James never played and he's gotten rich on these stupid stats

Yeah, you've clearly dismantled the usefulness of those stats. Who cares right? Not like anyone who works in the game does. Not like the team Bill James works for has had any success using them.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 08:49 PM)
Great, he can get around on an 87MPH fastball. I still haven't seen him get around on decent fastballs and he's having a hell of time hitting anything off-speed.

And the breaking ball he whiffed on in this AB was up in the zone (and a little in) but it didn't have much movement. Hard to hit though when you have that much head movement during your swing.

He's so far off the plate, and lunges over the plate to cover pitches. Thus, his head is moving an insane amount, and not only does he have his usual hole in his swing above the belt, but now he has one under his hands as well.

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:49 PM)

Who cares who they were invented by? They tell you a hell of a lot players. They are not an end-all-be-all, but stats in baseball are extremely meaningful.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 08:49 PM)
Those weren't fastballs. The fastball upstairs he was a little late on but fouled it off. The inside pitches he hit hard but foul were much slower and breaking

Really thought they were Livan's mediocre fastballs.

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:49 PM)

This is why I like to just stick with OBP and OPS now when I post. People tend to understand those more and I won't have to deal with people complaining about complexity and mental masturbation.

You can cancel the postgame show.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 12:49 PM)

Maybe I zoned out on one of them, but I swear they were 87 and 86MPH pitches, which for Livan, is the fastball.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:49 PM)
Every person in the universe would have laughed at you if you told them that Adam Dunn would be hitting .175 with 7 homers in late June.

s***, if I woke up from a coma and saw Dunn's numbers, I'd literally say, "is this real life?"

I've never seen anything like this. Yes, 1-year wonder for sure. Brady Anderson, Brett Boone, Preston Wilson. But this makes no sense. I'm discombobulated as a fan.